Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity notes on holiday at 20 weeks??

(18 Posts)
Queazy Fri 14-Aug-15 09:48:23

Do I need to take them with me at 20 weeks? I definitely did when I flew at 28 weeks with dd1 but not sure if I need to pack them this early on?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I can't wedge them into my dd's changing bag for the plane, so they would need to go in suitcase.

PrincessOfChina Fri 14-Aug-15 09:49:21

Take a picture of them on your phone.

newbian Fri 14-Aug-15 09:50:49

I never flew with notes, didn't realize that was something common to do? I just had a note from my doctor explaining how far along and the nature of the pregnancy. Is it something people do when they have specific conditions/complications?

milliemanzi Fri 14-Aug-15 10:08:08

I took mine just in case anything happened while I was away, just a precaution though.

Queazy Fri 14-Aug-15 10:17:16

I've read you have to take them everywhere with you. I didn't do that last time, but did take them abroad as they wouldn't have access to my medical records. Taking a picture is a great idea xx

Siesta Fri 14-Aug-15 10:49:33

I just got back from a holiday abroad at 32 weeks and didn't take my notes with me. Maybe I should have blush.

Queazy Fri 14-Aug-15 11:49:46

Don't sorry siesta, I didn't last time I went away, just midwife mentioned it this time xx

MrsSnow Fri 14-Aug-15 12:21:52

I'm going away this week (20 weeks) and midwife said take notes in hand luggage.

CityDweller Fri 14-Aug-15 20:11:46

Really?? Unless you have any complications in your pregnancy then I wouldn't bother. I went away for a month when I was pregnant with DC1 (between 18 & 22 weeks) and didn't even think to take my notes with me.

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Fri 14-Aug-15 20:13:54

I was told off by my midwife for not taking them to work everyday with me. confused

CityDweller Fri 14-Aug-15 20:16:55

But there's hardly anything in your notes at this stage (unless you have a complicated pregnancy). A few blood pressure readings, a note of your blood type, etc. If 'something happened' I highly doubt the hospital where you are would sit down and pick through your notes. They'd probably ask you how far along you are, do routine tests, etc etc.

Cherryblossomsinspring Fri 14-Aug-15 21:03:09

I didn't bother.

quesadillas Fri 14-Aug-15 21:10:21

I would. You just never know. I've never had straightforward pregnancies though.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Fri 14-Aug-15 21:11:45

I would and do, in hand luggage. Or as PP said you could take a photo of the relevant pages.

newbian Sat 15-Aug-15 01:26:55

Seems it's a UK practice. I live abroad now and grew up abroad as well, never heard of it. If you go to a non-English speaking country doubt they'll do any good! In the UK or with complications I get, otherwise I'd take photos and save the space in the bag.

artisanroast Sat 15-Aug-15 02:16:03

Hi,

I would take them with you.

I may just be unlucky but when I was 8 weeks (pre-notes and first midwife appointment) I had a bleed whilst in Fuerteventura and thought I may have been miscarrying, thank goodness baby was fine. Then at about 22 weeks I was visiting family in NI and ended up with such a severe UTI I had to see the emergency GP on a Sunday. Of course I had no notes then had to recall everything myself. They weren't essential at all but I would have felt better if they were there.

I have just spent a week in England and did bring the notes but no need for any emergency visits anywhere.

So I have come to the conclusion the notes have magical powers and if I bring them everywhere I will never need them ;)

artisanroast Sat 15-Aug-15 02:16:58

Also, someone mentioned about taking them to work everyday - I do, they live in the boot of my car.

Distracted15 Sat 15-Aug-15 14:23:38

I would, speaking from experience.. I'm 20 weeks and have just returned from a nightmare holiday in mallorca. ended up staying a week longer than planned as was hospitalised for a week with gastroenteritis. We didn't take our notes but I would have felt happier if we had them there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now