Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Possible GD - how harmful to wait a couple of weeks before finding out for sure?

(10 Posts)
WearingPinkPyjamas Thu 13-Aug-15 18:52:38

GTT at 20 weeks fine (and was fine throughout both my other pregnancies).

GCT yesterday at 30 weeks showed 9.7 with over 7 being their risk factor and they want me to have GTT next week. Scan, also yesterday, showed baby to be perfectly average size.

I go in holiday for ten days at end of next week. I really do not want to have to have no treats etc on our holiday - it's Devon and all about the ice creams and fish and chips with the kids etc.

I have not gained much weight this pregnancy - not least as have thrown up daily.

How much harm would it do if I put GTT off until back from holiday? Obv don't want to put baby or myself at risk. But really am v keen to enjoy this holiday properly before the final uncomfortable couple of months of pregnancy.

WearingPinkPyjamas Thu 13-Aug-15 18:53:05

Also I ate a crunchie before the test. Will that have made a difference?

mummyneedinganswers Thu 13-Aug-15 19:27:59

Your not meant to eat anything before the tests

mummyneedinganswers Thu 13-Aug-15 19:29:18

It would be better to find out as there is risks of placenta failure with uncontrolled GD and the sooner u find out and get correct treatment the better x

mummyneedinganswers Thu 13-Aug-15 19:59:30

If a simple crunchier put your blood sugars to 9.7 I would advise u to book gtt test and refrain from sweet treats

WearingPinkPyjamas Thu 13-Aug-15 20:07:11

You eat normally before GCT. It's GTT you fast for.

Crunchie plus lucozade drink! But yeah, I know I need to do the test. Booked in for Tues and go away Thurs. Would really prefer to find out post holiday though (though keen not to put baby at risk obvs)

scarednoob Fri 14-Aug-15 07:39:03

I had exactly this situation - ploughed the mini GTT with a horrible result of 11.0 but was going on holiday 3 days later! I decided to do the tests privately so I wouldn't have 2 weeks of getting it wrong as I'd been told at a growth scan that the baby's tummy was a bit chubby and my amniotic fluid was a bit raised.

I'd taken some steps like cutting out the obviously bad stuff and when I did the full test I technically passed it, with 4.4 and then 7.4 after 2 hours. But to me that's still a sign of struggling and the private endo/obstetrician agreed. So I had to forego ice cream, paella, patatas bravas - gah!! But I felt better for it.

Since coming back I've joined the dots with the NHS. It's interesting as they'd just have said, "you don't have it" and let me carry on as before. But looking at some of my readings - 8.6 after a bowl of sodding bran flakes!! - I think that could have been bad for me and v bad for the bump.

Soooo my advice would be to see if you can squeeze the tests in before you go and if not maybe speak to the mw and see what they recommend??

scarednoob Fri 14-Aug-15 07:40:33

Sorry just seen that you are having test, maybe then just push for results and dietitian before you go if you fail it? I know it sucks a LOT but it's only one holiday!

WearingPinkPyjamas Fri 14-Aug-15 23:53:58

Thanks scarednoob.

Any midwives or doctors on here able to tell me if it would be a terrible thing to ignore and sort out once back from holiday?

newbian Sat 15-Aug-15 01:23:10

As you are at risk of having GD there is no way 10 days of eating carbs is going to be a good idea. My cousin had GD and ended up fainting and on bed rest because she wasn't taking care of herself properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now