Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Water wipes instead of cotton and water?

(35 Posts)
MummyPiggy87 Thu 13-Aug-15 16:15:07

They sell them in boots, I'm going to go and buy everything bulk nappies etc and saw these. Any good? I don't mind using cotton wool but if these are 99% water and 1% fruit extract then I don't really see any harm?? Would make life abut easier when out and about.

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Thu 13-Aug-15 16:17:25

We have used them this time around from the first nappy. They are really good, don't smear everything around as much as I find other wipes do, and seem very gentle. Pricey though - we are now (8 weeks) using cotton wool and water at home, water wipes when out and to speed things up in the middle of the night.

ANiceSliceOfCake Thu 13-Aug-15 16:21:10

I've just stocked up on these too, loads of friends said second time around they went for wipes as cotton wool was a pain, so I thought I'd do that for our first.

MummyPiggy87 Thu 13-Aug-15 16:22:16

Thanks Pas, they do seem a little pricey but I think it's worth it for the first few weeks, then I'll just switch to normal wet wipes. I couldn't stand cotton wool with dc1 when dealing with dirty bums it just sticks to everything!grin

PotteringAlong Thu 13-Aug-15 16:23:43

Just use baby wipes! They will be fine.

dementedpixie Thu 13-Aug-15 16:24:32

I just used normal sensitive wipes with both of mine from birth

Glitteryarse Thu 13-Aug-15 16:26:18

Normal wet wipes can cause a mess if they are sensitive.

JugglingChaotically Thu 13-Aug-15 16:27:28

Used cotton wool and water for all 3 when at home (changing station next to wash hand basin which helped) and standard sensitive wipes when out.
Cheaper too!

RattleAndRoll Thu 13-Aug-15 16:27:37

I used these with ds for the first month, then moved onto unfragranced Tesco own brand. A midwife at hospital did make a comment about nothing but cotton wool and water and I just nodded and smiled, and then continued with my wipes. Ds has perfect skin.

Highlandbird Thu 13-Aug-15 16:28:38

Water wipes are fab in first few weeks, I think normal wipes are too harsh for newborn skin (hence the cotton wool and water advice)

MummyPiggy87 Thu 13-Aug-15 16:29:24

I used normal wet wipes on dc1 without realising how sensitive his fresh skin was and he came up in a rash, which is why I was advised to use cotton wool and water for the first few weeks.
That was back when these water wipes weren't around.

Etak15 Thu 13-Aug-15 16:35:22

Sensitive baby wipes (Asdas are nice and 5 packets for £3) have been fine for all of mine - pampers wipes has always caused sore bums for mine, of course I didn't use wipes with my pfb - I used water and cotton wool - warm water ha! But I also used to wake her up to check she was ok every 5 mins and break my back carrying a baby bath into our bedroom because I thought it would be too cold in the bathroom (it wasn't) And lots of other special things!

Archer26 Thu 13-Aug-15 16:42:48

Cotton wool and water is such a faff! The poo just sticks to it! I used sensitive baby wipes and sometimes water wipes from day 1 with DS and he's never had a spot of nappy rash/ upset skin.

I think cotton wool/water is unhygienic too. However this might be because I watched my friend double dip cotton wool and of course had pooey water. (Which she didn't change confused)

NinjaPanda34 Thu 13-Aug-15 16:45:28

We use waterwipes and have done since day one. They're currently on offer on Amazon, a box of 9 for £13.50

MrsAukerman Thu 13-Aug-15 16:49:26

Cheeky wipes are a good alternative too. We just bought the 25 wipes for £12 I think and wash them with the nappies. Mine sit in a Tupperware with water, tea tree and lavender oil.
www.cheekywipes.com

MummyPiggy87 Thu 13-Aug-15 16:49:43

Archer that's exactly how I feel, confused to the pooey water, yuk!

Ninja, thanks that's a bargain!

shoopshoopsong Thu 13-Aug-15 16:50:16

I actually didn't like water wipes, they gave my DS nappy rash because although they don't have horrid chemicals in the actual wipe is a bit coarser than other 'sensitive' wipes

sarkymare Thu 13-Aug-15 17:10:13

OP will you be breast feeding? IME cotton wool and water has no problem cleaning up the mustard shits. The water doesn't get pooey either. You soak the cotton wool and then wipe and use more cotton wool if needed. You don't double dip grin

I did use a few packs of water wipes with DS they didn't bring him out in a rash like other wipes but was far to expensive for my liking.

MummyPiggy87 Thu 13-Aug-15 17:16:54

I am hoping to, but couldn't with dc1 so will have to wait and see!
I wouldn't ever double dip �� I was going to get cotton pads actually because they are bigger and dh is already turning green at the thought grin

MummyPiggy87 Thu 13-Aug-15 17:17:36

..the water wipes will be mainly for his use and go when we go out. I'll more than likely just use the pads and water!

GlitteringJasper Thu 13-Aug-15 17:24:06

I'm still using waterwipes 2.5 years later!

They're fab and ds and dd were allergic to normal wipes.

sleeponeday Thu 13-Aug-15 17:25:30

We just use flannels, warm water, nappy bags. Disposable nappies, ironically, but wipes cause horrible nappy rash with mine, and water wipes go mouldy fairly quickly due to lack of preservatives. Black spots. Also the essential oil bothers some babies' skins, too.

Never saw the point of Cheeky Wipes sets. The flannels, sure, but why keep flannels soaking in cold water, when you can just use fresh warm water from a tap, or small flask? Which would you rather have against your own bum - and it's less effort, too!

I just bought the multipacks of cotton flannels from IKEA, which are going strong at 18 months old.

peacefuleasyfeeling Thu 13-Aug-15 17:25:43

Wipes are a real horror environmentally. Water and cotton wool much better in this respect.

sleeponeday Thu 13-Aug-15 17:26:44

Just saw about DH - in that case, I would def buy Water Wipes! Just don't buy a huge multipack from Amazon as we did (car use, for hands/faces) as they really do mould.

sleeponeday Thu 13-Aug-15 17:27:27

Honestly though - if DH is green at the idea of cotton pads and water, he will be green at the wipes, too. I mean, poo is poo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now