Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Are fast labours hereditary?

(21 Posts)
Skiptonlass Wed 12-Aug-15 20:55:44

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is "not enough data" but I'd be interested in people's views and if anyone has talked about this with midwife/ob gyn.

My mother and aunts all had extremely fast labours. We're talking 2-4 hours from 'first twinge' to 'oh, look, a baby!' My sister was born on a very surprised nurse just inside the doors of our local hospital and two cousins at home before the paramedics arrived. All healthy babies and no dodgy cervixes.

Yesterday my midwife asked me if there were any fast labours in the family - I hadn't considered this could be a thing...is it? Knowing my luck I'll buck the trend and end up with a three day labour.. ;)

Chasingsquirrels Wed 12-Aug-15 20:59:30

Apparently my mums mum gave birth quickly, 5th child almost before she knew it. She died when I was 15 so I don't know this from talking to her personally.

My mum gave birth to my brother and I reasonably, but not exceptionally, quickly.

My 2 births were 2 hours and 15 minutes respectively.

MummyPiggy87 Wed 12-Aug-15 21:06:46

Not sure about fast, in our case it always seems to be slow 30 hours + with complications usually!

AboutTimeIChangedMyNameAgain Wed 12-Aug-15 21:07:38

I wish. My DM had quick labours, mine was two days.

Junosmum Wed 12-Aug-15 21:40:18

My family is a history of large lazy babies, 4 day long inductions and looooong 30hr+ labor. I'm not looking forward to it!

muddymary Wed 12-Aug-15 21:43:18

Totally anecdotal but all of my mum's labours were fast and mine was very fast!

chopsface Wed 12-Aug-15 21:50:42

Watching!! My mum and sister have had quick labours so I'm hoping! The morning sickness thing is hereditary so I don't see why labour can't be!

angelopal Wed 12-Aug-15 21:58:33

Not sure about DM but my Dsis and I could not have been more different. Mine arrived quickly and on time. Longest labour was 6 hours. Dsis overdue with both, had to be induced and really long labours.

SaulGood Wed 12-Aug-15 22:01:18

There is a general trend yes. It's not a guarantee though. Just you're more likely to follow a pattern set by the women who've gone before. In my case, my mother had two easy, fairly quick labours. I had two extremely difficult and v long labours, both resulting in emcs.

Helspopje Wed 12-Aug-15 22:03:30

Mum and maternal grandmas all <2h.
I had a 42min and a 13min start to finish
St
Inter had days and days, most of a day and 4-5hrs ish

Luck of the draw

RapidlyOscillating Wed 12-Aug-15 22:04:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fairfat40 Wed 12-Aug-15 22:24:14

Hypermobility can cause fast labour hypermobility.org/help-advice/pregnancy/

Squirrels, do you mind me asking, how did your mum die?

Chasingsquirrels Wed 12-Aug-15 22:51:12

Not my mum, my grandma (mums mum). Cancer, 69.

Micah Wed 12-Aug-15 22:54:50

My mum genuinely thought any longer than 2 hours in labour wasn't normal. Apparently both her labours were very short.

My sister was textbook 10 hours from first twinge to delivery. I had PROM followed by 24 hours of minor twinges then a hellish emcs.

So no, not for us, sorry smile

fairfat40 Wed 12-Aug-15 23:15:45

Sorry to ask Chasing, just there are some conditions associated with Hypermobility that cause heart problems. As I thought it was your mum assumed sh'd been v young when died.

Scotinoz Thu 13-Aug-15 03:56:37

My mum laboured quickly with all three, and I have too with both babies. Perhaps it does in my family.

FluffyJawsOfDoom Thu 13-Aug-15 07:19:30

My mum and sister had 7 under-4hr labours between them. Mine was 23hrs ��

Chasingsquirrels Thu 13-Aug-15 07:56:36

That's ok smile

Wolfiefan Thu 13-Aug-15 07:59:18

My mum laboured quickly. Her third child was nearly born in the back of an ambulance.
I'm the same. Second child born in under an hour!
Good luck.

CalmDownJeffrey Thu 13-Aug-15 08:01:54

<hollow laugh> took my Mum under 6 hours from first contraction to have me.

I, on the other hand, took 3 DAYS with my first. Second was quicker at 9 hours from first contraction.

Skiptonlass Thu 13-Aug-15 15:20:24

Lots of different experiences! Very interesting, thank you all. Fingers crossed I take after the women in the family and PPP this one out reasonably fast (but not too fast... )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now