Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Another question about movement..

(11 Posts)
Frillsandspills Wed 12-Aug-15 19:47:26

I'm 21 weeks 5 days pregnant today! Posted a few times about movement as I don't want to harass my midwife any more than I have (I tend to be anxious about everything and seeking reassurance everywhere!)

I'm just wondering what it felt like for everyone else when they started feeling movement?
Last week I had an ice cold smoothie when I watched a play a local drama club did and I'd rested my arms on my belly and I felt a fair bit, presumable because of the smoothie and because I was pushing slightly on my tummy so it was easy to feel.

A few days ago I actually seen my belly move when lying really flat and i felt some movement beneath. Today I've felt the odd 'tap' but I've been busy and not concentrated really. I've found over the last few days if I rest my hands on my tummy I can feel when my baby moves sometimes, which is lovely. It's nothing regular although over the past few days it was in the morning but I didn't feel too much today. I know this is normal as it's still so early so I just wondered if anyone else felt a fair bit at one point, then found it went quiet a bit? I know I won't feel much for another few weeks but I just wondered what others experienced really.

I do have an anterior placenta so I assume I won't feel too much, although my sonographer didn't say anything about this I only found out thanks to Mumsnet!

I'm also very anxious about feeling/not feeling anything as my cousin sadly lost a baby as he was stillborn. it's always at the back of my mind so I'm constantly seeking reassurance even though I do know it's too early to be trying to pick up any movement patterns but I still tend to panic about just about everything!

TIA

Nousername2015 Wed 12-Aug-15 20:02:47

I think they say only start tracking whatever 'pattern' has developed from 28 weeks onwards, I think at 21 weeks it's still early so you are actually lucky to be feeling things so regularly! I wouldn't worry about it, it sounds as if your baby is having a ball in there.
That's really sad about your cousin, I hope she's doing ok all things considered.

Anna2710 Wed 12-Aug-15 20:09:53

I would say this is normal as I am 27+4 and until the past week or so definitely had a few days where felt lots then a few days a lot quieter and I don't have an anterior placenta. So try not to worry, I know that's easier said than done as I'm exactly like you and worry all the time!

Frillsandspills Wed 12-Aug-15 20:12:29

Thank you for your replies!
I understand it's early and I should be grateful for feeling anything at all but now that I've felt something, I'm panicking when I don't!
I wish I could just relax but it really is easier said than done!

Anna2710 Wed 12-Aug-15 20:30:54

Honestly I was exactly the same as you and had sleepless nights over it. Baby definitely getting stronger movements the past couple of weeks though which has reassured me slightly. It can often depend how baby is lying too, once I hadn't felt much movement for a few days and happened to have a private scan booked where baby was lying facing my back which explained the lack of me feeling movement as was kicking into back.

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Wed 12-Aug-15 22:36:50

I'm 21 weeks & 3 days with a low anterior placenta & only just felt baby properly move for the first time tonight. It felt like popcorn popping but was strong enough for DH to feel it as a twitch on my belly. Up until now I've had the odd ripple type sensation but nothing I could really say yes that's definitely baby.

MissSMartin Wed 12-Aug-15 22:44:47

I'm only 16+5 and a first time mum so I'm surprised I can feel movement this early but I feel the baby move so much in lots of periods through the day about 13 movements/kicks a time.. dp felt the baby move today 4 times in a row for the the first time since me starting to feel them about 4 days ago.. it was surreal ..the sonographer said it's most likely because I'm pretty slim. but there's never no real pattern till later on is ther.. is it like 25 weeks? don't worry.. I would probably just see what ur mw says x

Frillsandspills Wed 12-Aug-15 22:48:30

Thanks!
I've definitely felt my baby, and I feel a little more in the night time I was slightly worried as I hadn't felt much in the day but then I've heard it's normal to feel more in the night when you're relaxed.
It's only in the past week or so I've been feeling anything I can say is definitely baby anyway, I just needed the reassurance that there's not a real pattern yet as I'm always very anxious!

Ava50x Wed 12-Aug-15 22:55:21

My baby was never "regular" and like you I would panic every time I hadn't felt movements for a little while. At some point I made peace with the fact that at that stage (I was feeling movements from 17 weeks) they're not supposed to be regular and you don't feel all the movements anyway.

My midwife encouraged me to relax, and said as long as I'm feeling movements throughout the day, there's nothing to worry about.

Now I'm 37+4 and baby is still not "regular". I've never been able to discern any pattern in movements but when he kicks its really strong- sometimes painful so he assures me he's OK...

Good luck, hang in there- in a few weeks they'll be getting stronger and you won't be able to mistake them!

minijoeyjojo Wed 12-Aug-15 22:59:34

It's perfectly normal for them to not have a pattern at 21 weeks. They are still quite small so can easily move which may mean you have a few quiet days (especially with an anterior placenta) where they are in a position that you can't feel the kicks.

I have an anterior placenta and didn't feel regular daily movements till 24/25 weeks and even then it was easy to miss them if I was busy!

Frillsandspills Wed 12-Aug-15 23:18:39

Oh thank you! I'll have to re read this thread every time I have a panic moment.
I thought once I'd felt any sort of movement at all id be relieved but its panicking me slightly more too. I find myself taking a bit of time out during my day to poke my little bump in the hope that something pokes back so I can get on with what I'm doing without worrying!
I'll get used to it though.. Only 19 more weeks and I'll have all the reassurance I need!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now