Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cyclogest side effects?

(6 Posts)
BumbleBee0 Wed 12-Aug-15 12:14:10

Has anyone on cyclogest noticed any side effects? I've been really exhausted and groggy, almost like hungover-rough type feeling and wondered if anyone else had felt this? Obviously tiredness is a normal pg symptom but I never felt this bad with my son or 2nd pg (which ended in mc).

cloudjumper Wed 12-Aug-15 13:44:19

I think that this is a pg symptom - I took cyclogest during my last pregnancy during the first trimester, and didn't feel very tired. Took it again until 14 weeks in this pregnancy, and I have been completely floored by the combination of tiredness and sickness, exactly like you describe it - and I felt similar when pg with DS, when I did not take cyclogest.
The side effects I noticed were feeling bloated, terrible wind and the occasional stomach upset.
Every pregnancy is different. If you are worried, speak to the person who prescribed it.

BumbleBee0 Wed 12-Aug-15 17:21:50

Thanks cloud. I'm due to stop it this Sunday at 12 wks but will probably do another week half dose. Did you wean or have and withdrawal effects? Thanks

warriorbot Wed 12-Aug-15 17:24:08

Progesterone is a mild sedative (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14644065) but bear in mind you're also making progesterone of your own too! Hooray pregnancy!

I've had vile first trimester fatigues (I'm also on Cyclogest and Crinone, but friends on neither have also experienced the same thing.) I think all you can do is take it as easy as possible: postpone and delegate all that you can, snatch whatever sleep you can get. It should get easier in the second trimester.

I also found that spatone seems to be helping me a little: I was getting the symptoms of anemia as well as the fatigue. I think some extra iron is helping! Though today I woke up knackered and it's been going downhill ever since grin.

It will pass - people keep promising me the second trimester is easier and I'm already (11 weeks) starting to feel a little better.

applecore0317 Wed 12-Aug-15 17:28:33

I had 400mg of Cyclogest three times a day from 24 weeks till 36 weeks and had no side effects from it.

BumbleBee0 Wed 12-Aug-15 18:15:08

Thanks all. I'm 11+2 and do feel slightly better than I did a week or 2 ago so maybe it's just normal pg symptoms. Doesn't seem to make a diff whether I rest up or not either. Just hoping it gets better soon. Didn't realise it was a mild sedative though warrior so maybe it effects some people differently...confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now