Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anaemia in pregnancy?

(11 Posts)
Newfamily2014 Tue 11-Aug-15 20:11:52

Does anyone know the earliest that anaemia can develop in pregnancy? At how many weeks?
Thanks

mummyneedinganswers Tue 11-Aug-15 20:18:57

Anemia can develop at any time just like in someone who just pregnant

Newfamily2014 Tue 11-Aug-15 20:26:11

Do you think as early as 9 weeks? I'm ridiculously tired.

CarrotPuff Tue 11-Aug-15 20:47:42

Tiredness is one of pregnancy symptoms, but it could be low iron too.

Have you had your booking in appt yet? They normally check your iron levels then.

If not and you're worried about it you can ask your gp to send you for a blood test.

Bolshybookworm Tue 11-Aug-15 20:53:37

Ridiculous tiredness is often part of morning sickness (speaking from bitter experience). From 8 wks on I feel like I've hit a brick wall- absolute bone crushing tiredness. You have my sympathies, it's hard work. It lifts for me at about 15 weeks.
Wouldn't do any harm to get checked out though, it's worth erring on the side of caution when you're pregnant.

BadgerFace Tue 11-Aug-15 20:54:36

Unfortunately it can just be from being pregnant! I thought I might have developed anaemia early as I've been SO tired this pregnancy (I had anaemia with DD but only from about 28 weeks).

I thought I had it from about 9 weeks this time and my booking bloods were low in places. Finally saw my midwife today at 18 weeks so I could ask her about it and she said my iron was fine so it was just pregnancy (and toddler!). Not really the answer I was hoping for... I live in hope that the second trimester energy I read of will kick in at some point!

acquiescence Tue 11-Aug-15 21:59:20

I was borderline anaemic at my booking in appointment bloods at 8 weeks, they didn't tell me until my next appointment at 15 weeks. They then took more blood, confirmed anaemia and I saw the gp for iron prescription and started feeling SO much better. So I would recommend booking a GP appointment and blood test now.
You can also start and make dietary changes, green leafy veg, red meat if you are not veggie, lots of pulses, dried apricots.
If you are prescribed iron ask for the liquid formulation as it is much less likely to give you a bad tummy. I also take floradix and spat one, more natural and gentle iron supplements. You will have to pay for these however.

SaulGood Tue 11-Aug-15 22:08:17

Anaemia can develop at any time, pregnant or not as mummy says. I was anaemic on booking in both times but then my iron levels are always slightly on the low side. Same as nearly all the women in my family apparently.

Early pregnancy exhaustion is common too though. I was knackered in early pregnancy and my iron levels were actually slightly higher than normal as I was mainlining spatone.

Have you had your booking in appt yet?

Theboxtrollsareallowed Wed 12-Aug-15 10:49:41

Have you had your booking bloods done yet? It should show up then?

Newfamily2014 Wed 12-Aug-15 11:30:28

Thanks for all the replies. Meeting midwife and booking bloods tomorrow. Will ask for ferritin (iron store) too as had anaemia in last pregnancy but diagnosed later on (after 20 or so weeks I think). Will be chasing the result of these bloods though as last time they didn't tell me and only informed me when I told them I's developed palpitations, shortness or breath and even worse tiredness ��

Thanks for reminding me about the iron solutions and floradex etc as I couldn't tolerate the horrid side effects from the iron tablets.

Yes, the tiredness is like a wall at the mo.. Mixed in with nausea.. Roll on 2nd trimester!!! ��

raviolig Wed 12-Aug-15 15:03:30

My blood tests from 8 weeks showed that I was anaemic. My first ones at 6 weeks showed I had low iron stores then next set (repeated because they missed one on the first one because of a change of system) showed the anaemia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now