Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help - food for energy boost in pregnancy?

(6 Posts)
stupidgirl45 Tue 11-Aug-15 17:57:50

Any tips for energy boosts in pregnancy please? Normally would just eat junk/sugar power through the odd dip in energy when not pregnant but don't want to do that now.

I am so exhausted from about 4pm on every day and just want to lie down. My iron is on the lower end of normal but not enough to take anything according to midwife. I am off red meat (bleugh) and chocolate...so do i just need to eat tonnes of spinach?

I'm eating v regularly (every 2 hours) brown bread toast, fruit, cheese, proper lunch, porridge for breakfast and drinking water but zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me please, I can't cope!

I'm 16+6 btw - work 3 days a week and have a 3 year old...and OH works long hours.

TIA

mrswishywashy Tue 11-Aug-15 18:08:28

I'd try and fit in naps for the days you can and bed early for the days you can't.

You could also take an iron supplement just to give you a boost too.

Nut butter on toast might be good or even just a handful of naps.

I'm 27 weeks and really struggling, seemed to have sailed through first four months, then got tonsillitis and haven't been able to get on top of tiredness

Blackandwhitecat3 Tue 11-Aug-15 20:05:36

No amount of eating can combat pregnancy "wipeout" tiredness. Your body is telling you that it needs more sleep. Grab an afternoon nap whenever you can, is there someone who can watch your DC for even half an hour while you rest up?

If your iron is a bit low the yes, that will make you even more tired. It's worth taking a multi vit with one in if you can face them (or many cereals have added iron). Also try taking your iron with vit c e.g. Orange juice, it helps absorb the iron.

But mostly my dear, you need sleep smile

MaGratgarlik1983 Tue 11-Aug-15 21:05:41

I felt almost jet lagged for the first four months- bed at 8 and lots of sleep got me through that bit! And a Cola as an occasional treat (gave up tea and coffee)

stupidgirl45 Wed 12-Aug-15 14:19:11

Thank you ladies.

Sorry there is no one really to have DS - it's that end of day/bedtime routine that is so blehhhhhhhh

I am going to bed by 9 most nights and reading and chilling out where I can.

As I WFH I think I will have to squeeze in naps as I'm just going doolally otherwise.

It. Is. So. Exhausting

Plus we are due to move house in 6-8 weeks. JOY.

Oh well, 17 weeks today, only another 23 weeks to go....

Artandco Wed 12-Aug-15 14:25:36

Can you nap with 3 year old? If he doesn't nap then all just get in your bed, and let him watch a film snuggled up. He might nap during film, and you can sleep an hour knowing he's safe next to you.

Food wise I ate loads of avocados and nuts.

Luckily we only have year gap so eldest was still napping 3+ hrs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now