Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Back to back position - should I worry?

(9 Posts)
OMC1 Tue 11-Aug-15 12:21:51

Hi all,

Am currently 39+4 with first baby.

Yesterday my midwife told me baby is currently in a back to back position, but didn't say anything more. Having a look on Google (mistake, I know!) it seems to be a bad/painful position for labour. Should I be actively trying to move baby's position?
Any advice appreciated!

JaneAustinAllegro Tue 11-Aug-15 12:24:28

so baby may still turn by him/herself, but there are things you can do that supposedly encourage it - walking around on all fours (really... and yes, I know it's not a great look at 39+4 - I was doing it at 41 +5!)
Accupuncture and reflexology are used a lot to turn breech babies and I gave it a whirl too

FlossyCat Tue 11-Aug-15 14:06:56

I'm 40+5 with second baby and was disappointed to be told by midwife yesterday baby has moved back to back. She advised me to spend time leaning forwards, eg cleaning the floor, also reaching up to clean windows! Will keep me busy if nothing else. Leaning over and bouncing on a birth ball is good too, oh and swimming. Try not to sit on a sofa with your knees higher than your bottom. Often babies turn in labour, but yes apparently it can mean a slower more painful labour sad so I'm actively doing what I can to encourage baby to turn.

Hope baby turns for soon!

Luciferbox Tue 11-Aug-15 14:07:39

Mine turned last night during labour.

DidgeDoolittle Tue 11-Aug-15 14:09:01

I had three big babies who were all in the back to back position. They were long labours but totally manageable.

CarrotPuff Tue 11-Aug-15 15:28:43

DS was b2b when I went into labour but turned around before he came out.

Sit on a gym ball instead of sofa as much as you can. Sit on a chair the other way around, leaning onto the backrest.

During labour try to lean forward onto something, don't lie on your back.

blowinahoolie Tue 11-Aug-15 15:41:26

I was told at the growth scan that this baby is back to back....had two previous back to back babies aswell. It's looking grim. Both labours were painful so I'm expecting this one to be painful too.

My second born did turn on his way down the birth canal though, so it's not all bad news. Midwife helped me get into different positions though in order to achieve this. It worked well.

CuttingOutTheCrap Wed 12-Aug-15 16:27:26

DD was back to back. Labour and birth were absolutely fine, she turned during the birth. Apparently trying to turn the baby ahead of time is pretty pointless as they tend to get comfy in their position and just move back again. Don't know how scientific that is, but certainly don't worry about btb position smile

Jdchunk2009 Wed 12-Aug-15 16:30:22

Both my labours were back to back. I didn't know with the first until I was in hospital. My first was awful due to complications dehydrated/temperature/babies heart rate too fast therefore I had to be monitored and had 2 drips and was lying on my back. (Worst position for the position that baby was in) anyway the contractions started at 10:00pm and I gave birth at 12:55 the next day. All the pain was in my back. Had stitches.

My second labour being back to back which I knew from around 30 weeks. I tried everything to shift him. Nothing worked, I was really worried I went into labour after 2 sweeps at 41 weeks. Contractions started at 7:30am I went to hospital at 10:00 and was in the pool on my hands and knees with gas and air. My lil man arrived at 12:40. Pain was manageable and I felt fine after the birth. I grazed. I was home by 5:00pm I don't know why I was panicking so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now