Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

IBS & Pregnancy

(15 Posts)
PurplePoppy17 Tue 11-Aug-15 11:44:20

I've had IBS for a year or so now, it's gets better then worse every so often. Mainly with my stress levels but can vary with foods. I'm a couple of weeks pregnant and would like advise on which medication Works best for people?

artisanroast Tue 11-Aug-15 12:20:29

Hi

You could possibly be referred by your GP to see a dietitian about a low FODMAP diet.

Google it. It can be really helpful.

Not sure about medication

xx

tinyme135 Tue 11-Aug-15 12:49:05

I too suffer with ibs and the doctor told me I can't take no tablets but I have an appointment with the consultant and he'll be able to help me with it. I'm not going there for another two weeks but I'll let you know what he says to me. I'm 18 weeks and noticed if I eat smaller meals and less heavy foods it's not as bad.

ILoveMyMonkey Tue 11-Aug-15 12:54:21

I have IBS and when I was pregnant it all but cleared up, in fact I only had 1 incident in the whole 9 months so don't panic you might be ok.

Buttercup27 Tue 11-Aug-15 12:55:53

My is completely disappeared during both of my pregnancies so you may be lucky roo.

Buttercup27 Tue 11-Aug-15 12:56:10

roo too

MummyBex1985 Tue 11-Aug-15 12:58:43

My friends IBS also cleared up during PG but hit her with a vengeance two weeks post birth. Hopefully you won't need any meds.

TheTravellingLemon Tue 11-Aug-15 12:59:45

I have IBS and it also clears up in pregnancy. I had no episodes at all last time and this time I've only had two, both of which were very manageable without any medication.

After the baby came it was pretty bad for the first few months. This may have been due to the csection though.

Daffodil1210 Tue 11-Aug-15 13:09:36

Same as PPs, my IBS was non-existant during pregnancy but symptoms came back about 2 weeks after giving birth (goddamnit!)

Fingers crossed it'll be the same for you and congratulations smile

jurisane Tue 11-Aug-15 16:38:15

I envy all of you. My IBS is getting worse the more pregnant I get. My GI doctor took me off my medication when he heard I was try to get pregnant. I hobbled along with OTC meds but now at 29 weeks +4 its as bad as it was before I started getting treated for it.

My only suggestion is watch your diet and just keep thinking about the end result--a beautiful healthy baby at the end.

TheTravellingLemon Tue 11-Aug-15 17:52:25

Oh jurisane that's rough. My doc used to say it's how you eat as much as what you eat. Make sure you give proper time for eating. Sit down, allow time for digestion, don't eat on the move.

I was wandering the other day about setting up an IBS support thread in General Health. What do people think? Would you find it helpful?

Blackandwhitecat3 Tue 11-Aug-15 19:40:57

Watching with great interest, I have a wheat intolerance with IBS and icontrol all of it through diet, after a LOT of extra bloating in first trimester, I have suspicions that I am not as intolerant as I was. I might have to experiment.

Junosmum Tue 11-Aug-15 20:31:31

My ibs flared up massively in early pregnancy. So much so I was scanned for suspected ectopic pregnancy. Apart from paracetamol, which doesn't touch the sides, I'm not taking anything on advice of mw and gp. I'm managing by controlling my diet, things that set it off the most are all beans, shredies, special k, ryvita crisp bread, weetabix. I add to the list every time I have a flare up. It's been so bad that I couldn't drive home from work and my husband had to collect me from a road near my office. I went home, took some paracetamol and cried myself to sleep. I've since found some yoga poses which help when I'm bloated. Luckily I haven't had an episode of the burning molten diarrhoea yet , apologies for the visual image there!

TheTravellingLemon Tue 11-Aug-15 20:49:42

Yy to bloating being a problem in early pregnancy. I looked more pregnant at 6 weeks than I do now at 6 months!

PurplePoppy17 Thu 13-Aug-15 14:31:06

Thanks for the advise everyone... Much appreciated. I'm hoping it calms down soon. I think a support group for the general health topic would be a good idea. You don't realise how common it is unless you ask. Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now