Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

GD and induction question

(6 Posts)
Evianbaby15 Tue 11-Aug-15 09:30:19

If you are diagnosed with GD do they always induce you early or let you
Go full term?
What about if you have had a section on previous pg?

DinoSnores Tue 11-Aug-15 09:44:45

It depends on you, your sugars, your treatment, the baby's growth, the placenta etc, and will be decided with you, your consultants and your midwives.

Generally, induction or elective section at 38 weeks is offered, but is really depends. Normally, you'd be discouraged from going past your due date because of concerns about the placenta after that.

The NICE guidelines might help you:

www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng3/resources/diabetes-in-pregnancy-management-of-diabetes-and-its-complications-from-preconception-to-the-postnatal-period-51038446021

LumpyCustard69 Tue 11-Aug-15 12:33:33

I'm being induced Friday (38+3).
I was told they won't let me go past 39 weeks due to the increased risk of stillbirth. They didn't really explain the ins and outs of that.
My gd is not too bad, I'm on metformin and check blood glucose levels before and after every meal. I only got diagnosed at 34 weeks and was unseen by docs after diagnosis etc until 35+6

Every case is different, and probably varies between areas also like everything else!!!!

I'd imagine if you've had a previous section that they would offer you one again.

Good luck with everything op.

changingagain Tue 11-Aug-15 16:44:09

I'm diet controlled and will be induced at 40 weeks. Currently 37 and going he turns up by himself before then. I was told if I had to go on metformin or insulin then I'd be induced at 38.

changingagain Tue 11-Aug-15 16:44:45

*hoping not going

OttersPocket Tue 11-Aug-15 17:19:21

It's an individual decision made between you and your consultant. I'm a veteran Type 1 diabetic, so obviously on insulin, and after negotiation I'm being induced at 39+3. It depends on how thing are going for you and your GD nearer to the end of your pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now