Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it possible that I am pregnant after this?

(24 Posts)
yellobunny91 Mon 10-Aug-15 23:12:30

Last week my boyfriend and I had sex using the pull-out method. My boyfriend swears that he did not ejaculate inside of me at all, but I was wondering what the possibility of becoming pregnant through pre-ejaculate is? I wouldn't be concerned except for the last two days I have had some slight cramping, tender and full breast and have felt sick to my stomach, as well as having a constant headache (not sure if this is anything). I used an ovulation calculator tonight and found that I most likely started ovulating on the day we had sex last week. I could be reading into this too much but thought i would reach out for advice. Am I being silly?

*originally posted in conception but wasn't sure if it should be posted here instead?

Diggum Mon 10-Aug-15 23:16:22

In a word, yes.

It is possible to conceive even if he didn't ejaculate inside. The pre-ejaculate can contain sperm. Plus the timing of your ovulation ups the risk.

So it is possible. Only the arrival of your period or a pregnancy test after 2 weeks or so will tell you for sure.

Could just be coincidental symptoms but if so its good to be aware that you're using a risky method of contraception...

yellobunny91 Mon 10-Aug-15 23:20:23

oh dear. Thank you. Would I be having symptoms less than a week after becoming pregnant? Are these normal signs?

Finola1step Mon 10-Aug-15 23:27:42

Yes, you could get pregnant using the withdrawal method at time of ovulation.

It is unlikely that what you have described are pregnancy symptoms due to it being so quick. But not impossible.

If your period is due in a week then sit tight for now.

applecore0317 Tue 11-Aug-15 04:09:15

I would seriously think about using other contraception in the future, the pull out method is not good, as someone said, you can get a little pre ejaculate which your boyfriend wouldn't even notice, really selfish of him to use that method.

Test in a week. I had a little accident on my ovulation date and the result of that is laying in her crib next to me as I type smile

sizethree Tue 11-Aug-15 04:45:49

You must know the old joke of 'what do you call couples who use the withdrawal method
- 'parents'!
It's unlikely but not at all impossible.
Hope the next 10 days pass fast for you and that you get the result you want.
First thing is do if you're not pregnant is to sort out some more effective contraception for the future.

tatumsfunkychicken Tue 11-Aug-15 05:05:46

You really need to ask? Unprotected sex around the time of ovulation. Erm, yes, you could be pregnant. hmm

redcaryellowcar Tue 11-Aug-15 06:34:19

Yes, I'm sure it is possible, but (not sure if this is your first pregnancy) I didn't have any pregnancy symptoms with my two pregnancies until around the 6-8 week mark, so maybe you are imagining the symptoms a bit?

yellobunny91 Tue 11-Aug-15 06:39:29

Thanks for the responses! I wasn't sure how possible it was because there aren't any conclusive studies around sperm in pre-ejaculate.

I don't think I am imagining the symptoms, as the symptoms appeared before I even considered being pregnant as an option.

Has anyone else had symptoms this early?

CarrotVan Tue 11-Aug-15 07:07:34

You can get symptoms from a day or so after implantation - as early as 8 dpo

Finola1step Tue 11-Aug-15 08:19:26

FWIW I knew I was pregnant with ds straight away. I don't know how I knew but I just did. I started getting sore boobs on the side about 1 week before period due. And then other symptoms swiftly after.

Boosiehs Tue 11-Aug-15 08:23:26

I got pregnant in exactly that situation. I couldn't believe it either. I was only a kid and it was a horrible horrible shock.

MrsPCR Tue 11-Aug-15 09:09:56

Yes. I had unprotected sex and that's how I (and the majority) of ladies got pregnant on here! hmm

I was nauseous from 12dpo, so 4 days before my period was due.

Can I suggest you get yourself to the doctors or family planning in a week either way? You must sort out some contraception if you cannot deal with the consequences. Good luck.

ReggaeShark Tue 11-Aug-15 09:13:20

Yep it happened to me.

notapizzaeater Tue 11-Aug-15 09:13:41

I had symptoms about 10 days later, sit tight and test then tell him to put a condom on next time.

Junosmum Tue 11-Aug-15 09:33:01

I got pregnancy symptoms within a week, nothing major and had I not been trying I may have missed them but they were there.

Junosmum Tue 11-Aug-15 09:35:57

Oh, and get tested for STI whilst looking in to contraceptives-I got tested every 2years even though I had a long term partner and trusted him implicitly.

DinoSnores Tue 11-Aug-15 09:41:59

"The pre-ejaculate can contain sperm."

No, it doesn't. That's a myth.

Withdrawal method is actually as good (or bad!) as condoms in terms of preventing pregnancy!

www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/reprints/Contraception79-407-410.pdf

No form of contraceptive is guaranteed though, so, yes, you could be pregnant. If getting pregnant right now would not be a good idea, I'd definitely recommend sorting out something more reliable.

Wolfiefan Tue 11-Aug-15 09:44:14

You effectively had unprotected sex and you are wondering if you could be pregnant?
confused

SignoraStronza Tue 11-Aug-15 09:48:08

Yes it is possible, however I'll admit to using the withdrawal method for a couple of years with my now dh without any pg scares (and previously, in early 20s with an ex). blush
In our case though, being pg wouldn't have been a total disaster as we'd planned on ttc after we got married anyway. When we eventually decided to 'go for it' I was pg straight away (six weeks on our wedding day - we reckoned it could take a while).

Brummiegirl15 Tue 11-Aug-15 12:49:35

Yes you could be pregnant.

If you test in a weeks time and it's negative and you are relieved. I suggest you start using contraception.

Using the withdrawal method is what you do if ending up as a parents wouldn't be a bad thing

SmileyKJ Tue 11-Aug-15 21:39:15

For what it's worth, my partner and I successfully used the withdrawal method for 6 years without any accidents. (In fact, I was worried that this would suggest we would have difficulty conceiving, but we were actually very lucky and I fell pregnant during the first month of trying.)

That said, as with all contraceptive methods, there's a risk that you will be caught out using the withdrawal method (and unless your partner can control himself, this method is really risky). However, from my experience, I would say it's probably unlikely that you are pregnant.

As others have said, its probably worth looking into alternative methods of contraception, otherwise you are going to be worrying every time you have sex around the date of ovulation.

WorldofTofuness Wed 12-Aug-15 16:42:14

Can depend not just on how many sperm are in pre-ejaculate, but whether the chap in question even has pre-ejaculate.
Like Smiley, OH and I used this method for years. My OH's nob is dry as Death Valley until point of orgasm, though (sorry if TMI)--and his timing was/is good. Other chaps I have known have had various amounts of 'drool'. Even without that, inexperienced chaps may not known their orgasms/ejaculations reliably enough to time all spillage to be outside.

yellobunny91 Fri 14-Aug-15 00:48:31

Thanks everyone, I am anxiously waiting for next week to see whats going on. I certainly haven't been feeling my normal self for the past week, i've had some slight cramping today, sore nipples, upset stomach and i've been craving fruit like crazy. Although, I would assume that it is too early to have symptoms?

This isn't the best time for us to have a baby, but it wouldn't be terrible either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now