Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy vitamins?

(11 Posts)
Hopefulnewbie Mon 10-Aug-15 09:39:02

Morning ladies…
Im 17weeks pregnant and have been taking vitamins but the pregnancy ones just made me feel dizzy so now I’m only taking folic acid with vitamin D
Ive said this to some people and they have a look of horror about them and start lecturing me about how I should be taking “proper” vitamins
So I was just wondering - is everyone else really taking these every day without fail and its just me being a bit shit?

milliemanzi Mon 10-Aug-15 09:47:57

I haven't taken any multivitamins, just folic acid and vitamin d (although I started taking that late cos I didn't realise you had to blush).
I didn't have any sickness and have a good diet with lots of fruit and veg so didn't really feel it necessary and my midwife said that's fine.

Topsy34 Mon 10-Aug-15 10:10:21

Vit d and folic acid are the most important ones, i took sanatgen multi vits for a packet worth, but didnt carry on as my morning sickness had finished and i was (and still am!) eating a balanced diet.

twinsandapenguin Mon 10-Aug-15 10:22:24

I have heard of a number of people who couldn't get on with the multi vitamins. I always took them because I couldn't stand the sight of a vegetable. If you are having a balanced diet the you are fine.

Autumn2014 Mon 10-Aug-15 10:24:00

Why is vit d. recommended? Is this a new thing?

Skiptonlass Mon 10-Aug-15 10:55:31

Folic acid is the critical one.

Vitamin d is good too as so many of us are deficient in northern climes. autumn vit d deficiency is very common. Where I grew up (in the north) there are cases of rickets, mainly among communities that have darker skin/ keep women covered. Unless you have a pressing reason not to, ten minutes outdoors a day in the sun should see you right in the summer. In the winter, take the pills!

If you have a healthy balanced diet you don't need multivitamins. If you're one of the many many people who don't have a balanced diet, or you're nauseous, then they're not a bad idea in pregnancy but it's not going to kill you if you're not taking them.

keep an eye on your iron levels though - and if you need a top up the liquid tonics are much better than the pills in terms of tolerability.

And finally, if anyone knows a pregnancy safe iron free multivitamin, pleeeease tell me !!

happymummyone Mon 10-Aug-15 11:15:07

With DD I stopped taking them (pregnacare) at 12 weeks as was the advice 5 years ago. With this pregnancy I've taken them all the way through, as is the advice now. Last pregnancy I ended up getting anaemic but this time I'm fine, also I like knowing that I've got all the vitamins I need without having to really think about it. If I have a healthy diet and a pregnacare I figure in pretty much covered.

Purpleball Mon 10-Aug-15 11:17:16

Folic acid and vitamin D are the important ones.
Pregnancy vitamins made me constipated

Karelia81 Mon 10-Aug-15 12:40:21

I just take vitamin D as advised by the midwife (folic acid pre-conception and up to 12 weeks). Multi-vitamins have never been mentioned to me.

Junosmum Mon 10-Aug-15 12:45:49

I was taking some pregnancy for my hair and they did help. They have no vit A in them so I've just kept taking them. I don't take them every day though. I have a good diet but have an underactive thyroid which can inhibit the uptake of vitamins from food.

Doublebubblebubble Mon 10-Aug-15 20:00:20

For what its worth - I've had hg every pregnancy - joy!! (I'm on my 5th pregnancy - I have a 5 yr old DD and I'm currently 32 weeks) and I really really struggled to take ANYTHING. Whilst I was hooked up to a drip i was advised -by my consultant- that as long as you try to eat foods fortified (cereals etc) in vitamins and folic acid,you should be okay. I have been taking vitamins since about 18 weeks and my bubba is perfectly healthy x don't get too stressed about it xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now