Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What do all these letters mean?!

(6 Posts)
PurplePoppy17 Sun 09-Aug-15 23:28:03

Im going to sound silly but I'm pretty new to mumsnet and I'm getting really confused with all this shortened words, DC DS DH ect, what does it all mean?! Please help?

SaulGood Sun 09-Aug-15 23:29:49

At the top of the screen, there's a link to 'acronyms'. If you can't see it, it's here.

HTH (hope that helps)

PurplePoppy17 Sun 09-Aug-15 23:35:55

Thank you so much!! I dont feel so left out now... Ha. smile

SaulGood Sun 09-Aug-15 23:41:32

Welcome to Mumsnet. smile

You'll find there are some acronyms which aren't on the list and they've grown up as jokes, asides and community chatter. Don't be afraid to ask if you don't understand what somebody's blethering about.

Also bear in mind that we don't tend to use some of those acronyms. LOL and AF for example. Nobody uses LOL or AF. If they do we have them TOTBAS (taken out the back and shot).

Autumn2014 Mon 10-Aug-15 10:22:38

Why don't you use af? What's the acceptable alternative?

SaulGood Mon 10-Aug-15 13:35:16

You can use AF if you like. It's just not in use much on here and is horribly twee.

Most people say 'period' or you might find little nicknames cropping up according to the group you're speaking to The Fucking Witch was quite popular a few years ago when I was ttc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now