Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Horror stories and conflicting advice - what CAN I do?

(6 Posts)
floraljo Sun 09-Aug-15 19:46:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 09-Aug-15 19:49:11

You need to stop worrying so much. I recommend a book called Expecting Better by Emily Oster. She picks apart the stats on the pregnancy advice we are given.

Fluffy24 Sun 09-Aug-15 19:56:19

It's horrid isn't it. If it's any consolation I got in quite a flap too (who knows what damage the inhalation of DHs deodorant might do!) and now, without pregnancy hormones and with a large dose of perspective I now think I was mad!

Try not to worry, eat anything in moderation (but avoid shark and anything else the NHS website says to), take a proprietary folic acid/vitamin and you'll be fine.

I didn't know anything about sunscreen (thank heavens) and my daily moisturiser contained one.

sarkymare Sun 09-Aug-15 19:59:22

All your worries start with 'I read' so my suggestion is stop bloody googling wink

Honestly everything will harm your baby according to the internet. Even fresh air probably. In reality there are very few things you need to avoid (compared to the seemingly endless list that google gives you)

I would stick to NHS sources personally. Their advice seems to be more logical and less scare mongering to me.

Stylingwax Sun 09-Aug-15 20:06:25

I didn't drink in 1st trimester, have a monthly half a glass of wine since then. Don't drink coffee anyway and try not to go nuts with tea. And I make sure things are cooked - not runny eggs, underdone meat, pate or blue cheese.
I'd go by NHS website.

scarednoob Sun 09-Aug-15 21:05:35

when I panic like this, I just remember that women have been doing this for literally thousands of years - babies are a lot tougher than we think when we worry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now