Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dislodging a baby's foot from ribs

(15 Posts)
quesadillas Sun 09-Aug-15 17:25:08

Hi,

Is there any way to change a baby's position to dislodge its foot from under my ribs? 32 weeks with twins, full of cold, one baby has a foot right under my ribs. Every time I cough, sneeze or blow my nose, it's agony. It feels like I might break a rib! So painful.

kbro79 Sun 09-Aug-15 18:02:22

Oh you poor thing. My single pregnancy baby does the same thing and it is horribly painful. I know exactly what you mean about feeling like a rib might break.

Am sure you've tried this but the only thing I found worked was lying on my side.

Hopefully somebody with more successful advice will come along!

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Sun 09-Aug-15 18:02:41

Hiya! I'm 27 weeks with twins and have the same. No useful advice, just sympathy!

Rosieliveson Sun 09-Aug-15 18:04:52

It might found silly but when DS1 was in an uncomfortable position I did a little dancing or gave myself a good wriggle. This seemed to get him moving. I'm not sure if it would work with twins though as I'm assuming they have less room. Worth a try!

RedCrayons Sun 09-Aug-15 18:10:48

I had the same with my twins. One lay transvers under my ribs and the other was feet first on my bladder. I lay sideways on a bench in a restaurant once because I was in such agony. The owner was shock

Mine were born (safely) at 34 weeks if that's any consolation.

RockerMummy184 Sun 09-Aug-15 18:12:49

No useful advice here, but just wanted to offer some sympathy. DS did this and ended up needing physio when he was born as his foot had been stuck there for so long the joint was bent backwards. I found that sitting on a birthing ball keeps your back nice and straight and stretches out your abdomen so it eases the discomfort slightly.

NoParking Sun 09-Aug-15 18:16:00

I used to wake up in the middle of the night and have to put my arms in the air and wriggle as though I was trying to 'jump' a pillow into a pillowcase. Worked temporarily, but that was a singleton.

Swimming in your front (well, floating on your front in a pool) can help too.

quesadillas Sun 09-Aug-15 18:47:33

Thanks for your replies, will work my way through the suggestions. Currently lying on my side. If that doesn't work, I'll try jumping in the paddling pool. Alas have no birthing ball. If they all fail I'll do the dancing and wiggling, but that sounds far too energetic right now!

quesadillas Sun 09-Aug-15 18:50:09

This is genuinely worse than c-section pain. That I could handle!

New30 Sun 09-Aug-15 19:03:06

I heard that they move away from the cold so if you put an ice pack on the area you would like baby to move away from they will move

hugoagogo Sun 09-Aug-15 19:08:39

A cold drink is supposed to get them moving.

Not sure if it works, but worth a try.

quesadillas Sun 09-Aug-15 20:34:49

Just tried ice and a cold drink. Neither worked.

Dammit, I'm going to have to dance aren't i?

RockerMummy184 Sun 09-Aug-15 21:43:12

Dunno how useful it will be for painful little feet, but something I have found works really well for my rib-flare pain.... stand about a foot/18 inches from the wall, cross your arms in front of your face so your finger tips are touching each elbow, lean your arms against the wall and then slide your arms up as far over your head as you can (obviously taking care not to over stretch/make yourself uncomfortable).

NeuroticFox1 Mon 10-Aug-15 12:04:00

I know this sounds mad, really I do but I've asked the baby to kick in different places and it did seem to work. She was kicking the side so I asked her to kick up top and patted where to kick and it worked a bit! Might be worth a try if you're in pain, though you might get odd looks! Xxx

misssmilla1 Mon 10-Aug-15 12:51:09

My 33 weeker is breech and often does this. I've found the following useful:
- Large stretches to the right and left. Sitting on the floor, place one hand on the floor on the right or left of you and stretch in the same direction
- Sit on your knees and bend forward over a swiss ball with your arms crossed on the top of the ball so you're leaning on top of the ball but your belly isn't touching it
- swimming breaststroke; seems to really help overall

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now