Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How soon to start shopping?

(17 Posts)
newmama91 Sun 09-Aug-15 16:37:57

How soon did everyone start buying their baby stuff? Clothes and prams and stuff?

I'm just over 21 weeks but haven't started yet. I'm thinking I'll start in October?

Frillsandspills Sun 09-Aug-15 16:42:30

I've just posted on your other thread (I'm due a day after you) and I've not bought anything yet! I'm thinking of doing it all in October before everyone starts Christmas shopping in November (I'll have to do my Christmas shopping then too!)

I've got a cot, Bouncer and Moses basket sorted as gifts from family so that's a few less items to worry about, I just need cot bedding, pram, clothes, feeding sets and a long list of things that probably aren't needed but I really want!

Christelle2207 Sun 09-Aug-15 16:43:34

I think I got organised when I started mat leave but aware that's later than most people.
My pram was delivered on my due date. Bear in mind the warranty for it will start the day you buy it not the say your baby was born!

mummyneedinganswers Sun 09-Aug-15 17:14:16

I started at 18 weeks and now 24 weeks tomorrow and have everything sorted although I hate leaving things to last minute it stresses me out x

quesadillas Sun 09-Aug-15 17:21:46

First time - 20 weeks. Currently 32 weeks with #2 and #3 and only just started. Due to the high risk nature of the pregnancy I was too scared to earlier.

NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 09-Aug-15 17:22:40

I bought my pram before I got pregnant

BeautifulBatman Sun 09-Aug-15 17:28:48

I'm 31 weeks and bought the cot/pram etc a coupe of days ago.

TitusAndromedon Sun 09-Aug-15 17:41:36

The warranty start date isn't always when you buy it. We've ordered a Bugaboo and they start their warranty from the due date, or the day the baby is born.

I'm 22+4 with twins and we've sorted the pushchair, nursery furniture, a few bits of clothes, blankets, sheets and car seats. I'm trying hard to spread out the shopping over several months in order to better manage our money, particularly as twins are proving quite expensive. I'm also a teacher, so I'm trying to get things done in the summer holidays.

It's worth noting that at Mamas and Papas they will delay delivery and you can also pay a 25% deposit at the time of ordering and pay the balance later. We're having the big things delivered in October. I probably sound like an advert for them, but they've been incredibly helpful and patient, despite my husband and me being very indecisive customers!

Skiptonlass Sun 09-Aug-15 19:15:34

Got most stuff already (30 weeks)

I'm very glad I have, because now I have spd so badly I can barely walk.

Runningupthathill82 Sun 09-Aug-15 19:22:11

Left it til the last few weeks when I was pregnant with DS. Seemed like tempting fate not to. I don't need anything new this time aside from a Moses basket (didn't buy one for DS) and I'll probably leave that til 35ish weeks too.

artisanroast Sun 09-Aug-15 19:36:28

Hi,

I was very very nervous about buying things and if I had listened to my mum I would still have nothing! I'm 30 weeks today.

I think I started buying an odd thing here and there after my 20 week scan but EVERYTHING I have bought is still in packaging.

I had a 2 friends who miscarried late into their pregnancy - 6months and 5 months which I think is why even now I am still a little anxious about ordering things or taking things out of their packaging/bag. Everything has a receipt with it.

I think you should start picking up an odd thing when it feels right to you.

I made a list and costed it a few weeks ago and so glad I did because I now know exactly where I stand with what I need.

I have already bought 10 newborn sleepsuits - note to self no more newborn sleepsuits!!! Or bring some back and exchange for 0-3 months!

On my list I now also have a record of what I have bought (including bitly link to the website!) yes pregnancy has sent me mad!

Happy shopping.

xx

DefinitelyNotElsa Sun 09-Aug-15 19:40:15

We bought our car seat at around 25 weeks as there was a sale on, and started buying other bits and bobs from 30 weeks. I'm now 33 weeks and we've still got a few bits to get.

newtonupontheheath Sun 09-Aug-15 19:41:58

I built a wish list on Amazon then bought it all at around 34 weeks. This is dc3 and we had a lot of stuff stored so wanted to get it down from the loft and look at it before buying any more.

I could spend hours looking at various websites, but the actual buying doesn't take too long (one day out, one evening online) so long as you know what you want. I found Pinterest useful too smile

Clairejessica123 Sun 09-Aug-15 20:18:50

I'll be 27 weeks tomorrow and like someone else said I made a list with estimate costs. I brought a few small items after my 20 week scan and have just ordered pram and cot as I've found them on offer. A few other bits I've got at baby events and nearly new baby sales. I've got a lot of little things left like breast pads etc left so will most likely do a big boots order closer to the time.

lemon101 Sun 09-Aug-15 20:45:18

Just started buying today at 23 weeks - not loads of stuff (feels unnecessary to have it around the house), but I just felt like I really wanted to get started because time flies! I'm due very beginning of December and want to get xmas shopping in as well in the intervening months. I've also started compiling an online bookmarked shopping list so I can just hit 'buy' when I need to.

MummyPiggy87 Sun 09-Aug-15 23:30:03

Everything except crib/cot, steriliser and breast pump. I'm 25 weeks. My last pregnancy I was exhausted by 30 weeks so wanted it done and dusted!

Superexcited Mon 10-Aug-15 11:16:57

I started buying early- earlier than planned due to special offers and sales.
I bought my pram and car seat set at about 15 weeks as it was the exact one I wanted but ex display so had £200 off the price.
I bought my cot at 24 weeks.
My mum has bought most of the clothing and I have been picking up a few bits since about 15 weeks. I have just bought things when in offer on in the sales and have saved quite a lot of money.
I still have some sheets to buy and a pram suit and stuff for my hospital bag.
It felt much too early when I was buying everything but I am struggling to breathe when walking around at the moment and my bump is lying really low (31 weeks) so I'm glad that I have almost everything that I need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now