Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone have tips to cope with restless legs

(20 Posts)
Evianbaby15 Sun 09-Aug-15 10:01:30

As title says.
I used to suffer with restless leg syndrome in early 20s (not when Pg) but seemed to go if I went to bed and I occasionally had it if I was really tired before this pg but it's back with a vengeance and driving me insane.
I can't sleep because of it and am getting up and walking around in the middle of the night (while tripping over toys and walking into things) to try and ease it off a bit.

HedgehogAtHome Sun 09-Aug-15 12:26:06

I have a banana before bed. Apparently something in it that helps.

timeforacheckup Sun 09-Aug-15 12:29:01

Do you have any surgical stocking type things? They were only thing that worked for me.

OldRoan Sun 09-Aug-15 12:29:29

I had it after an operation and found sitting on the edge of the bed with my feet flat on a (cold) floor helped. It didn't work on the rug for some reason, had to be the floorboards underneath. Maybe a bowl of cold water would do the same thing?

contractor6 Sun 09-Aug-15 13:21:29

Its the potassium in bananas which helps relieve cramps.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 09-Aug-15 13:28:10

Tonic water

RolyPolierThanThou Sun 09-Aug-15 13:48:04

I only get It if I get overtired (and I do wonder whether babies and toddlers get it when overtired, too, hence their making such a bloody fuss about falling asleep when they're overtired).
I've not yet found anything that cures it, only not staying up too late seems to prevent it.

You have my sympathy. RLS is so annoying when you just want to sleep.

miranda89 Sun 09-Aug-15 13:56:48

I suffer terribly at night with this, 23 weeks. I feel such a bore as by 10pm it starts by 10:30 I'm off to bed with a huge pillow between my legs. Sleep is my only cure sad will try banana tonight smile

RufusTheReindeer Sun 09-Aug-15 14:00:18

No suggestions

I had this last night and finally got to sleep at 6.30am

None of my usual tricks...calf excercises, walking round or spraying my feet with cold water helped sad

Going to lurk...hope you find something that works

I find it's because I'm over tired and either cramped (like in a car) or hot

Evianbaby15 Sun 09-Aug-15 21:32:02

Will try the Banana - have heard of the tonic water one before but was reluctant to try as I'm not a fan of it...willing to try anything at the moment though.
In the past just going to bed early has solved it but oh no not on this pregnancy! (Can you tell it's been a lovely one hmm )

HedgehogAtHome Sun 09-Aug-15 22:17:12

Hope you get some relief.

ashtrayheart Sun 09-Aug-15 22:31:54

Magnesium spray after a warm bath helped me a bit when I got this.

moneytalks15 Sun 09-Aug-15 22:46:29

Peanut butter sandwich before bed was the only thing that stopped mine!!!

chelle792 Mon 10-Aug-15 10:02:42

I think I've got it sussed! I couldn't sleep and when I could i was being woken five or six times a night with it.

Midwife said it could be an iron deficiency. Floradix is good for pregnancy. I've also been using magnesium oil to rub in to my legs every eve and eating a bananna every day. After four days I have zero restless legs symptoms!

emmjanex Mon 10-Aug-15 20:00:51

A warm bath & magnesium spray after just before I went to bed helped me ️xxx

RufusTheReindeer Mon 10-Aug-15 20:55:23

Oooh, need to google magnesium spray

BlueBirdBlue Mon 10-Aug-15 21:28:45

I use a foam roller on my legs before bed (or when restlessness strikes) and that helps.

kuolo Mon 10-Aug-15 23:53:04

Magnesium supplements (fast absorbed powder in water before bed), tonic water and exercise. Exercise is the big one for me, if I've been inactive I can literally get no sleep at all no matter what else I do.

newbiemum311 Tue 11-Aug-15 00:31:32

I've suffered with restless leg syndrome for many years, here are my tips
1- wear them out. Stand up and go up and down on your tip toes, I'd do this for as long as I could, normally a few minutes. You can place a hand on the wall to support your balance. Sometimes I'd go up and down on the left first and then repeat with the right. Doing this right before bed used to calm them down.
2- place a hot water bottle under the part of the leg that is irritating the most. This soothes it for me.
3- take cod liver oil. I used to take a pill once a day and within a week I barely had RLS. However can't have these now I'm pregnant.

Hope you find some relief x

alien11 Tue 11-Aug-15 08:13:27

Have you had your iron level checked? I had the same then found out I had low iron, cue being put on iron tablets and the restless legs stopped within a few days x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now