Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bleeding 5 weeks

(24 Posts)
twinklexx Fri 07-Aug-15 21:31:56

I am about 5 1/2 weeks pregnant and have started experiencing some light bleeding tonight. It started out of the blue. My stomach is quite achy like when I have my period. I think I've convinced myself it's a miscarriage so I've had a good cry and oddly feel better.
Do I need to do anything or should I just wait and see what happens? When should I take another pregnancy test?

ImGoingForATwix Fri 07-Aug-15 21:36:37

You should probably give your local EPU a call. I had bleeding at the same time and it has continued since on and off (just spotting). Everything on the early scans has shown things are ok so far (currently 10 weeks). Bleeding doesn't always mean bad news but it is important to get it checked out.

twinklexx Fri 07-Aug-15 21:46:16

I will see if there is one at my hospital and give them a call in the morning. If not do you think 111? it would happen on a Friday!

ImGoingForATwix Fri 07-Aug-15 22:04:42

Ring your nearest maternity hospital and they should put you through to someone who can help. 111 may be able to do the same, yes. Hope it goes ok.

MummyPiggy87 Fri 07-Aug-15 23:59:38

Could be implantation bleeding as well as other things as your bloody is preparing for changes.
I had light bleeding and cramps at 5ish weeks 8 weeks and 12 weeks

I'm now 25 weeks.x

twinklexx Sat 08-Aug-15 18:28:19

How long did the implantation bleeding last? The epu wasn't open today so I will phone again tomorrow. The bleeding I had wasn't very heavy and is tailing off a bit now. I thought I saw some tissue earlier though so I am trying to remain realistic.

PearHead Sat 08-Aug-15 18:41:35

OP, I'd recommend taking another pregnancy test tomorrow with first morning urine (if you can get your hands on a test by then). Please don't assume that this will be the case for you, but I had similar bleeding to yours and it turned out to be an early miscarriage. My test actually turned negative very shortly after the bleeding started (my GP said that it's likely that the pregnancy had never developed very far in the first place), and I think it's worth checking before putting yourself through the stress of going to EPU and getting scanned. I was happy I didn't have to go into hospital and could just have a good old cry at home.

I'm obviously hoping that you have a good outcome, and lots of people do have bleeds early in pregnancy (I did with my DD and everything was fine). I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

twinklexx Sat 08-Aug-15 18:47:33

oh that is useful to know, I nearly bought one earlier but thought it would still be positive. I might try and get one.

silverglitterpisser Sat 08-Aug-15 18:55:57

It happened to me on a Friday night at 5-6 weeks too, OP. I went to the walk in who sent me to A&E who took bloods, told me they couldn't possibly advise whether baby was ok or not, made me an appt at the BEP clinic for the Monday n sent me home.

Longest weekend OF MY LIFE.

It was implantation bleeding n scan showed not only was baby ok but so was his brother! (yep, twins). I am sharing so u know it doesn't always have to end the worst way n also to save u the trauma of hours in A&E for nothing.

My heart goes out to u n I will cross everything for u, please keep us posted flowers .

PearHead Sat 08-Aug-15 19:12:19

I think there's quite a wide variation in how quickly tests go negative after an early miscarriage, but it's definitely worth checking that it hasn't gone negative. Again, fingers crossed for a good outcome!

Wildflower91 Sat 08-Aug-15 20:51:59

I had some bleeding at 5 weeks and the scan showed that everything was fine a week later (well, twins to be exact lol) hope this reassures you and all is well I know it can be scary xx

twinklexx Sat 08-Aug-15 21:04:44

Thankyou all.
I will definitely update once I have some answers.
Slightly concerned that both of your stories bleeding at 5 weeks involve twins grin

MissSMartin Sat 08-Aug-15 21:07:39

op I wouldn't do another test the lady who saw me at the epu made me test again ( it was 4 weeks later) and said it can take about 3 weeks for the hormones stop after a mc ( as I told her I did one the next day after my bleed) and she wanted to make sure I hadn't miscarried.
my bleeding has happened 3 times and was breakthrough bleeding from period even if it wasn't always timed when my period should have been.. I had a early scan at 9w2d and all was well with little blob smile .. im now 16w1d and the bleeding stopped at around 11w.. it can take about 12 weeks for the placenta to take over so bleeding before hand can be quite common and doesn't always mean the worst..
I hope you okay hun thanks rest up xx

silverglitterpisser Sat 08-Aug-15 21:08:30

Omg wild we r each other!

Very best of luck twinkle n if it is twins, we r here with plenty of advice n support n grey hair grin x

Wildflower91 Sat 08-Aug-15 21:16:43

silver omg I hadn't even read your comment, brilliant!!! grin and don't worry if there is more than one- twins are like winning the lotto (only you don't have any money LOL)

silverglitterpisser Sat 08-Aug-15 21:19:14

Sounds like u n I r actually the twins wild lol

twinklexx Mon 10-Aug-15 18:19:56

Update so far is that there isn't much to say. EPU won't see me yet as I'm not far enough along. My GP thinks it's probably implantation bleeding so has said to wait and see. The bleeding has almost stopped, it's now only there when I wipe. I haven't taken another test yet but will get some this week and see what they say.

silverglitterpisser Mon 10-Aug-15 20:00:28

Thanks for the update, OP. Am so sorry u r still without answers, being in limbo is awful. Reassuring that GP thinks it is IB though, keep that as ur light n try to stay positive.

Hope this week goes quickly for u flowers .

Wildflower91 Mon 10-Aug-15 20:23:01

Hi twinkle, I was hoping to hear good news from you today but no news is also good news :-) sending lots of positivity your way! I should have added yesterday that I was only given early scans because I had lots of side pain along with the bleeding.Keep us posted flowersxxx

twinklexx Wed 12-Aug-15 12:10:44

Well I took a test this morning and it was negative so I think sadly it's all over.

My stupid GP clearly thinks I was never pregnant due to not having any pain on bleeding but 3 positive tests previously beg to differ.

Thanks for all the support xxx

MrsPCR Wed 12-Aug-15 12:36:53

Sorry to hear this Twinkle. Ignore the GP. Three pregnancy tests cannot be wrong. Look after yourself. flowers

Wildflower91 Wed 12-Aug-15 13:51:19

twinkle I am so so sorry to hear that, always support on here if you need it xxxxxx flowers

silverglitterpisser Wed 12-Aug-15 21:16:30

Really sorry, Twinkle. Hope u r as ok as can be expected n have someone to help u thru this in RL xxx

twinklexx Wed 12-Aug-15 22:28:41

I am ok thank you. It is upsetting but I'm trying not to dwell on it. There is some good that has come of this.
It was a sort of accident (lack of care if contraception) as DH was unsure on having another child. However now he definitely wants another one so we will start trying properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now