Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Unable to take nuchal fold measurement at 12 week scan

(7 Posts)
Casablanca78 Fri 07-Aug-15 16:42:12

Hi ladies,
I had my 12 week scan on Tuesday. They moved my dates on to 13+2 (so now 13+5). Despite going back in twice after having a drink/walk around and her getting another sonographer in to also try, they said they were unable to take a nuchal fold measurement due to the baby's position. She did try and what she could see and what measurement she trued to take looked fine but said she wasn't happy with accuracy and didn't record any measurement on my notes. She did mention she saw a nasal bone although said they don't use this as a marker.

They said my options were to go back again for another attempt or to just go for the quad test, she said both had similar accuracy rates so basically it seemed bloods would be best option so as not to risk another scan where it couldn't be measured. I have to wait until after next tues (14+2) to go in for the quad test.

Anyone else been in this position? I'm a little worried as I'm 37 (will be 38 when baby due) and have high bmi so will be higher risk and we've now told people. Been reading up on the harmony scan and wondering if that's worth considering?

Thanks for any advice.

cazzabazz Fri 07-Aug-15 16:59:33

I don't know what the harmony test is, but they couldn't get the nuchal measurement at my 12 week scan either, so we went back a few days later and they were eventually able to get it (after several trips to the loo and lots of jiggling up and down to get the baby to move!)

Kelpie78 Fri 07-Aug-15 17:07:59

Hi, this happened to me in my last pregnancy. Two scans and they couldn't get a measurement, baby in wrong position (also tried internal ultrasound). Had the quad test. It came back low risk and everything was fine. I was 35 when I had my son. I hope that helps and everything turns out fine.

NoArmaniNoPunani Fri 07-Aug-15 17:09:03

They couldn't get one at my scan either. I decided not to have any further tests.

Boosiehs Fri 07-Aug-15 17:10:40

I've had both. Am older too (37) so wanted some reassurance.

Got harmony results back today and they are pretty definite 1:10000.
However I was told that they can sometimes fail to produce a result of you are overweight due to dilution of the DNA in your blood.

I'd go back for another scan. Good luck.

Clairejessica123 Fri 07-Aug-15 19:50:46

I had this and went back for a scan where baby was also in the wrong position. I had the quad test at the results came back low

Redhead79 Fri 07-Aug-15 19:56:00

Ours didn't cooperate either and didn't get offered a second scan as the 12 week one was done at almost 14! Just had the quad test which came back 'low risk' though about the same as my age risk ( I'm 36). We didn't have any further tests. Wasn't all that cooperative at our 20 scan either...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now