Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Unsure if I should of eaten this or not

(18 Posts)
Emmalbae Fri 07-Aug-15 15:54:57

Earlier I went for a lunch at Harry ramsdams fish and chip restaurant without thinking about it I started eating their tartare sauce. After a little while I remember because of raw eggs it could be unsafe . I asked a waiter who said it wasn't made on the premises but still worried was it more than likely ok. I ate a very tiny amount as well about a tea spoon before I remembered. Also now thinking about it I ate the same sauce at four weeks pregnant to. Thanks.

Emmalbae Fri 07-Aug-15 15:55:41

Am around 7+5 today.

CityDweller Fri 07-Aug-15 15:56:22

You'll be fine. If be amazed if that sauce contained raw eggs.

CityDweller Fri 07-Aug-15 15:56:39

I'd be amazed...

Frillsandspills Fri 07-Aug-15 16:05:09

It's fine don't worry.

You have made me really want fish with tartar sauce now sad

lemon101 Fri 07-Aug-15 16:07:10

ditto with the amazement if it contained raw egg. It will be fine.

In the first trimester, while hiding pregnancy from colleagues I was at work dinners where I ate numerous runny eggs, half cooked scallops, carpaccio of beef, unpasteurised cheese.... it was that or reveal the secret! The way I reasoned it through is that the problem is if it makes you ill and I was at fancy restaurants where the chances of being ill were low. Harry Ramsdens should not be a problem either.

RockerMummy184 Fri 07-Aug-15 16:39:43

Even if it did contain raw egg the odds are that the egg would have been pasteurised and treated for salmonella, however I think the likelihood is that it was from a jar of Colemans! wink

scarednoob Fri 07-Aug-15 17:14:06

agreed - the chances of a chain like that (not that it's not tasty!!) hand-making their tartare sauce are much slimmer than I am.

but if in doubt, email them next time and ask - I have done that with a couple of places re: various sauces and cheeses, and they usually get back to you very quickly. I'd have missed out on a lot of my lunchtime favourite green salad with feta cheese, veggies and ranch dressing if I hadn't emailed vital ingredient!

soloula Fri 07-Aug-15 17:25:15

If it wasn't made on the premises then you'll have nothing to worry about. Fresh egg sauces and dips have a very short shelf life so they're not something that places buy in. It'll have come from a huge big catering tub of tartar sauce which will contain pasteurised egg so no worries there.

MissTwister Fri 07-Aug-15 20:53:43

Reminds me of a smart burger chain which had 'house mayo' on their burgers. I asked how they made it and turned out but was Hellman's....

Emmalbae Fri 07-Aug-15 21:20:16

Thanks I also slightly remember the waiter saying that it was " fresh " and they got it in two days ago.
Assuming he just meant that it was a fresh batch of jarred stuff?

austengirl Fri 07-Aug-15 21:36:53

Most likely it was produced elsewhere and made with powdered, pasteurised egg. I was afraid I'd have to stop eating at my favourite (tiny) cafe because so much of their food is made on the premises, but the owner assured me she gets powdered egg in for their homemade mayonnaise. And if somewhere that small uses powdered eggs rather than fresh, I would bet quite a bit that a chain does too.

Emmalbae Fri 07-Aug-15 21:40:49

Thanks I hope so.
Even if I get ill is it likely to harm the embryo at nearly eight weeks.?
I also only ate about a tea spoon to so assuming even if that was raw egg it wouldn't be enough to harm me?

CityDweller Fri 07-Aug-15 22:14:42

Please stop worrying. It'll be fine!

Junosmum Sat 08-Aug-15 00:22:06

It would only harm the embryo if you get salmonella. And if you get salmonella you'll know coz you won't leave the bathroom and will be trying to work out how to sit on the loo and throw up in to it at the same time! I doubt anywhere really uses raw egg yolk to make sauces unless it's a top restaurant and they'd immediately be able to tell you. Anywhere that umms and ahs over the question doesn't use raw egg.

UrethraFranklin1 Sat 08-Aug-15 00:38:04

It's not going to be made with raw eggs in commercial tartare sauce, and it wouldn't matter anyway, all commercially available eggs in the UK are vaccinated against salmonella.

It's completely fine. We need some kind of campaign to get rid of the pregnancy-food-hysteria that seems to be common in the UK.

Baffled2012 Sat 08-Aug-15 00:54:11

You and the baby will be fine I'm sure.
For the record I ate peanuts, blue cheese, pate, mayonnaise, had a glass of wine if we were out for dinner and both of mine were fine and don't have any allergies.

MissTwister Sat 08-Aug-15 12:27:38

Actually salmonella doesn't even cross placenta just makes you ill. Raw egg isn't really considered that bad anymore and they're considering changing guidelines as all lion stamped eggs are salmonella free in UK. Only risk would be if a restaurant was using farm eggs instead of mass lion stamped ones. And then risk would be tiny. Harry Ramsden's sure isn't making its Mayo with farm fresh eggs don't worry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now