Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

So confused .... Anyone have any advice?

(20 Posts)
HollyJenni Fri 07-Aug-15 15:38:24

I will get straight to the point.
I took a test on the 13th July that was pregnant. I had recorded my last period on the 11th June on an app called ovia. I also took a clear blue digital that said 1-2 weeks pregnant but kind of ignored that as I was unsure of the dates.
Approx 2 weeks ago I had some very very light spotting and the hospital booked me in for an early pregnancy scan. The scan was done internally and they saw the gestational sac and yolk sac and all looked well.
They asked me to return in 2 weeks to check the progression. I went today and based on the information the lady who performed the scan seemed concerned. There was no heartbeat on the external scan so she did an internal scan again and there was no heartbeat but baby was there measuring 2.1 mm. She said that I need to keep an open mind as it could be the pregnancy isn't progressing as it should be but also the dates could be wrong. I burst into tears as this wasn't what I was expecting. I am now wondering if the clear blue test that said 1-2 weeks was right all along which would make me approx 5 weeks pregnant!
Can anybody on here please help?

Thanks,
Holly

seastargirl Fri 07-Aug-15 15:46:11

I had something similar, although it was only a week between scans. I went back the following week and there was a heartbeat. Nothing seemed to make sense as I'd known exactly when conception would have been, the midwife shrugged and said that these things aren't always exact and they do get some women who seem to have weird experiences where dates and science don't seem to match. Don't forget sperm can hang around for 7 days

seastargirl Fri 07-Aug-15 15:49:07

Sorry posted to soon.

Sperm lasting 7 days can make a massive impact on your dates. I was also told that some people may ovulate twice.

I'd say try and stay positive, when are you gong back?.Have you asked to have hcg
levels tested?

Hope all turns out well.

QforCucumber Fri 07-Aug-15 15:51:13

Your dates could be completely out - the 1st day of my lmp was 9th June, which apparently puts me at 8+3 but I have booked an early scan for this Sunday and am expecting to be only about 6ish.

HollyJenni Fri 07-Aug-15 15:55:37

Thanks for the prompt replies. I am trying to stay positive but it's so hard for all of us ladies who are going through an uncertain time. I am hoping it's just my dates are completly wrong. She basically said that there has been growth in the 2 weeks as the foetus is 2.1 mm. I am just praying that the dates are compelty wrong. She then started talking about if there is no change next week then they will discuss treatment options. I was just crying my heart out by this point.

HollyJenni Fri 07-Aug-15 15:56:51

Sorry forgot to reply.... They haven't mentioned the HCG levels at all. I would have asked but I was so upset that I wasn't thinking straight.

HollyJenni Fri 07-Aug-15 16:16:46

Why are you expecting to only be six weeks? Do you think the dates could be wrong too?

QforCucumber Fri 07-Aug-15 16:23:45

Because I wouldn't have ovulated until at least 14 days after the start of my period, therefore 8 weeks I think is too far ahead. Had to book the early scan to settle mu own mind after mmc 2 years ago. I'm just saying if there's growth then you may just be 3 or 4 weeks behind your period dates. Fingers are crossed for you.

HollyJenni Fri 07-Aug-15 16:40:24

And you. My main concern is that both the yolk and gestational sac were seen but that also doesn't make sense for the dates
Thanks again

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Fri 07-Aug-15 20:18:40

Can I just classify? A test was positive on 13th July meaning you were approximately 4 weeks pregnant on 13th July (because this is when a pregnancy test would show as positive). Is that right?

For info, a digital test shows weeks since conception. 1-2 weeks since conception is 3-4 weeks pregnant because pregnancy is dated from when your last periods of assumed to be.

HollyJenni Fri 07-Aug-15 23:00:43

Yes that would be correct. I'm so stressed out.

mummyneedinganswers Fri 07-Aug-15 23:52:06

Ihad this im not trying to get your hopes up but when I found out accordjng to my last lmp I should have been 7 weeks had ruptured ovarian cyst and was hospitalized went for scans constantly while there. My scan meant tk bd 7 weeks only showed. Sac it turned out I wS only 3 1/2 weeks which was impossible as would mean I flubs out before I conceived. im now 23 weeks pregnant There is hope for you x

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Sat 08-Aug-15 08:26:08

If you were 5 weeks pregnant, that means you conceived 3 weeks ago which is about the 18th July.
I'm sorry you're going through this. I have been there and it is awful. When my scan at 10 weeks showed that I was measuring 6 weeks, I knew it had to be a loss because it meant I would have had a positive pregnancy test a week before I conceived. I do think you'd situation sounds like it might be similar if I'm honest.
However of course there are situations where dates just don't seem to make sense or measurements must be wrong and everything turns out to be fine. You will need to have another scan to be sure either way.
Fingers crossed for you.

CognitiveIllusion Sat 08-Aug-15 08:33:52

I think early scans can do more harm than good. I know a couple of people who got very distressed by no heartbeat at an early scan, only to find that everything was fine a couple of weeks later.

Hope it works out ok for you OP flowers

HollyJenni Sat 08-Aug-15 10:35:22

Thanks so much for all your replies. It's a horrible feeling and I am dreading next Friday. Worse feeling is that the baby has grown in the past two weeks and to know that is what's is making it harder x

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Sat 08-Aug-15 16:10:27

The waiting is hell. You just have to pass the time and survive. For me, I felt certain that it must be a loss given the dates so I started trying to come to terms with that and research what would happen next. It's obviously up to you what you do at this start. Keep busy and time will pass.

CheesyWater Sat 08-Aug-15 19:11:14

I'm so sorry you're going through this. It is just heartbreaking. I had exactly the same experience; scan one showed dates out, scan two showed a little progress and a heartbeat but I lost the baby around a week later.

As others have said, there is always hope that nature has done something weird and your dates are just a bit squiffy.

Whatever happens, rest assured that these boards will be an incredible source of support and hand holding.

Thinking of you and hoping for the best, op flowers

levellingtheland Sun 09-Aug-15 09:04:20

I had IVF, so knew my dates exactly, but scans consistently showed my baby at being a week behind in progress. It was a hairy pregnancy but everything was ok in the end. I dont know what Dd was doing in there for a week! Having said that, I've also had a miscarriage and know how awful it can be. Hang on in there and be kind to yourself.

HollyJenni Fri 14-Aug-15 17:12:39

Hello everyone. I had my scan this morning and sadly the baby hadn't grown, it had actually shrunk and there was some bleeding on the scan also.
I have been given three leaflets. One about natural miscarriage, one about the tablets and one about surgery to remove them pregnancy.
I feel completely devastated but I know it wasn't meant to be and I have shared this because unfortunately for some, this is part of their journey.

CognitiveIllusion Sun 16-Aug-15 20:39:47

Just seen this Holly. I'm so very sorry sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now