Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nervous...

(13 Posts)
Ladypug Thu 06-Aug-15 20:18:02

Hi all,

Needle and blood phobic here. Tomorrow is my final set of jabs and its a killer - blood tests, whooping cough and the dreaded anti -D vaccination which the midwife warned me is a bad one. I'm terrified :-( I know I need to man up as in 10 weeks baby is coming and I will need to be tougher than this for labour but I really don't do needles and blood stuff. Just looking for encouragement really (and someone to say the anti-D is not that bad!

PuppyMummy Thu 06-Aug-15 21:01:20

I had the anti d. It was no worse than any of the others so you might find its ok!

Ladypug Thu 06-Aug-15 21:02:56

Thanks puppy, sad to be so scared as a grown woman!

Wolfiefan Thu 06-Aug-15 21:05:50

I had anti D several times. It was honestly fine. Seriously.
Good luck.

Anna2710 Thu 06-Aug-15 22:08:48

I am almost 27 weeks and have had 3 lots of anti d since 21 weeks and I am the biggest wimp on the planet, managed it (I tried to push the midwife off on the 2nd one haha was an automatic reaction). Got my next (and hopefully last) one in a couple of weeks. This time tomorrow you'll be fine. Good luck though.

applecore0317 Thu 06-Aug-15 22:56:14

I found that I barely felt the anti d, they gave me a choice of bum/leg or arm, I opted for bum and it was fine.

With the whooping cough someone recommended clenching and unclenching my fist which really helped.

Blood tests for me depended on who did them smile

applecore0317 Thu 06-Aug-15 22:58:32

Oh and don't worry about the manning up part, I gave birth without pain relief but as soon as I needed the anti d injection after and an injection down there, I got all scared! neither hurt, but felt ridiculous giving that I had just popped a baby out.

Ladypug Thu 06-Aug-15 23:26:45

Hehe thanks so much everyone, the reassurance is great! Fingers crossed I get through it all! X

BadgerFace Fri 07-Aug-15 08:34:49

I had the anti-D with DD and don't remember it being any worse than the flu and whooping cough (which were not too bad).

Good luck! I empathise as I hate needles. My worst ones are blood tests as my veins like to hide so it often takes two or three goes for the nurse/midwife to get the blood out. Hideous! Now pregnant with number 2 so having to get used to it all again!

Ladypug Fri 07-Aug-15 08:37:43

Eek thanks badger, blood is my worst too! I'm just telling myself in a few hours it will all be over and I'm on the home stretch then!

batfish Fri 07-Aug-15 22:12:00

Hope it all went OK ladypug! I really didn't find anti D bad at all - the nurse did it in my lower back fat just above my bum and injected it really slowly and it was absolutely fine, hope you had a good experience!

Ladypug Sat 08-Aug-15 10:17:36

Thanks Batfish :-) the anti D hurt quite a bit but the whooping cough I didn't even feel! Feeling so much better now it's all out of the way! smile

Cazzybaby Sun 09-Aug-15 11:39:54

I've sat through 6 hours off tattooing without a flinch, but anti D makes me cry blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now