Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Pregnant working student - ESA when ill?!

(7 Posts)
Teamstaisy16 Thu 06-Aug-15 17:38:13

Hi I'm 6-7 weeks pg and I'm suffering with awful sickness at all times of Day. I don't get sick pay at work and as I'm a student (mature) I don't think I can get any help if I'm not at work. Tried all remedies etc and nothing truly works. Can cope but am worried about work. If I can't go in I don't get paid and I'm struggling. My student finance pays off my rent so it's gone quickly and I rely on my part time income. What should I do? Anyone else a student in same boat?

JJXM Thu 06-Aug-15 17:52:07

Is there a reason you don't get sick pay? Most companies will pay statutory sick pay which is only a small amount but better than nothing.

You won't get ESA as a student. To claim ESA you need to be unfit for any type of work and actually not in work as it is an out of work benefit. You can get ESA in pregnancy but only in the last few weeks unless there are exceptional circumstances. You would be better asking your university for some financial assistance?

What have you tried for morning sickness? Have you tried going to the gp and asking for some medication.

JJXM Thu 06-Aug-15 17:57:59

Actually I just checked the law and you can get ESA if you are in employment where you don't qualify for statutory sick pay. But you have to be incapable of work for more than seven days and will need to get a fit note from your doctor.

JJXM Thu 06-Aug-15 18:01:02

Sorry hit reply too soon - you would have to have a work capability assessment and have to score a certain number of points. I think you would find it hard to prove that morning sickness made it so you could not work at all.

lauraa4 Thu 06-Aug-15 19:08:33

I think you can work on ESA but maximum of 16 hours per week. Also in order to receive it a doctor must sign you off my providing a sick note. If the doctor thinks you are able to work then unfortunately you wont be able to get it.

JJXM Thu 06-Aug-15 20:17:41

You can work on ESA but it is called 'permitted work' and is usually to help people gradually get back into work.

To get ESA you have to prove in an assessment that you only have limited capacity for work - it's not easy to get.

lilac3033 Thu 06-Aug-15 21:02:34

You should be able to claim ESA as long as you have the fit note from your GP. It is true that you would eventually have to attend a Work Capability Assessment, but only after at least 13 weeks on ESA (often it is twice as long). Odds are the morning sickness will have passed by then.
I am not 100% sure if you can apply if you are in full time education. I would double check with Citizen's Advice. Part time education should be fine.
You can do permitted work but you must declare it to the DWP. Up to 16 hours per week or earnings up to £104 (double check this, may be slightly more or less) are ok!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: