Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When did your clothes get too tight?

(43 Posts)
ammature Thu 06-Aug-15 13:34:38

I'm not talking maternity jeans needed but wondering when your regular clothes got too tight? Just realised lots of my tops are not fitting me. I'll be 14 weeks tomorrow. I was thinking of buying some new tops in a larger size but holding off on maternity clothes until I have a bump!

Feline09 Thu 06-Aug-15 13:36:46

I haven't had to buy any maternity clothes but at about 7 months my regular clothes stopped fitting

bookgirl1982 Thu 06-Aug-15 13:41:36

At nearly 22 weeks, my normal tops are getting rather snug both in the chest and across the middle.

mrsnec Thu 06-Aug-15 13:43:45

Last time I bought maternity clothes at 14 weeks and started wearing them at 17 weeks. Could be earlier this time. I'm already wearing bigger trousers.

I didn't buy maternity jeans at all last time because I was at my biggest in the height of the summer.

scarednoob Thu 06-Aug-15 13:44:10

before I got pregnant sad sad sad

Skeppers Thu 06-Aug-15 13:49:57

They didn't! But I was a fatty to start with. smile

lemon101 Thu 06-Aug-15 13:57:20

I popped at the end of 14 weeks, but that was certainly the point where I was thinking 'Jesus I'm looking fat'! I still wear a lot of non-maternity clothes at 22 weeks even with a sizeable bump. Stretchy clothes that I would normally wear something over to hide the muffin top are no longer a concern and look better than they did pre-pregnancy!

I did get maternity jeans and a few tops at 16 weeks because I really was unhappy with how a lot of my old clothes looked and actually in retrospect because they felt tight they were making me feel fat. Buying a handful of new clothes really did help make me more comfortable with my changing body.

I would kind of recommend going the maternity clothes route - you will be surprised how fast you become very obviously pregnant and just larger clothes might prove to be a poor investment

fleamadonna Thu 06-Aug-15 14:00:37

mine never stopped fitting first time round, I just had to stick to more low-slung jeans.

I fear things are going differently this time though. only 10 weeks in and my waistband is already digging in blush

Cineraria Thu 06-Aug-15 14:04:34

I broke my way out of a bra the day before I was due to do the test; it was one of my special extra big bras for that week in my cycle, so I knew something was up!

Being a bit busty anyway, I always wore clothes that are very fitted below that, over the ribs and waist, otherwise they just hang off my chest and I look huge. So when I got all swollen with indigestion at 6 weeks, most of my clothes were useless from then on. I held out until the 12 weeks scan to make any maternity stuff though.

Cnmorgan13 Thu 06-Aug-15 14:10:32

Ha ha! I'm 9 weeks and I'm down to 2 pairs of trousers that still fit lol!

ammature Thu 06-Aug-15 14:30:48

Sounds like massive variations. I wonder am I just a bit flabby to start with ;-( not a hint of a bump just getting bigger everywhere.

blowinahoolie Thu 06-Aug-15 14:43:51

Found them tight around 8 weeks pregnant, and had to start wearing maternity clothing.

SunbathingCat Thu 06-Aug-15 14:47:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EdgarAllenPoe Thu 06-Aug-15 14:50:02

It's not that my clothes didn't fit, it was more that I had zero tolerance for anything across my waist. So I started wearing loose-fitting or maternity vests from about 15 weeks consistently. I'm now 18 weeks and have exactly one pair of loose trousers that still fit, but the bump is starting to show now.

I'm 26 weeks pregnant today and all of my clothes are still fitting despite having a noticeable bump. I guess they were all stretchy to begin with.

Redhead79 Thu 06-Aug-15 15:03:15

Gave in to maternity jeans 2 weeks ago (at 22 weeks) but still mostly still in 'normal' stuff, just wearing it below my (now quite obvious) bump. Have had to get some longer tops though (non maternity H&M are great!).

1wokeuplikethis Thu 06-Aug-15 15:11:03

Hmm. This is my second pregnancy, I'm 15wks and things are getting pinchy.
Dug out all my maternity clobber but to my dismay it's all baggy, bobbly and worn out. I was hugely enormous first pregnancy and stretched even that maternity stuff. Plus having to wear it for ten months post partum no wonder it's all scruffy.

Would happily love to hear places that do good/flattering work trousers and leggings? All over bump because mine rides looooow.

Absy Thu 06-Aug-15 15:14:14

on the bottom half - no problems yet, but some tops have become tight as my boobs have grown exponentially (11 weeks). there was one day where, much to my shame, due to bigger boobs and laundry incompetence, I had to wear a sports bra all day.

quesadillas Thu 06-Aug-15 15:28:05

About 20 weeks first pregnancy and about 23 weeks second pregnancy. That's for trousers, which seem to get uncomfortable earlier than tops. At nearly 32 weeks with twins I'm still in a few non-maternity tops, generally the less structured, more floaty kind.

To whoever was asking about work trousers, I got mine from New Look, but they're under bump. Not sure if they do over bump as these are form last pregnancy. Nice length and quite flattering. The material is a little on the cheap side but OK. I've got some nice over bump casual trousers from Jojo Maman Bebe, so they might do over bump work ones.

Junosmum Thu 06-Aug-15 15:56:02

I'm 16+5 and one pair of work trousers fit, the another I can do up but are agony by home time. I had terrible bloat at 12 weeks so was wearing the mat jeans as they were comfortable. Some of my tops are starting to stretch around the boobs now too. Bigger sizes for me just don't fit properly, mat clothes from eBay were a much investment to be honest.

TitusAndromedon Thu 06-Aug-15 16:05:26

I'm 22 weeks with twins and, if it's not made of stretchy, jersey fabric, I don't want to wear it. I haven't got on with maternity jeans at all, so I've mostly been in leggings, fitted tunics and maxi dresses for a few weeks now.

I really recommend Asos for leggings. They're really comfortable and come up nice and high over the bump. Primark also have long "cami dresses" which are great for layering and very cheap!

lilyb84 Thu 06-Aug-15 16:15:24

I'm 15+6 and haven't been in my normal work trousers for a couple of weeks, although I'm pretty rubbish with anything tight so my tolerance level was probably lower than most! Burst out of one of my bras but not the other (think it's a style thing), and my jeans still fit but they're more jegging than jean so quite stretchy.

The main change for me seems to be in my chest/back area as lots of my size 8 dresses got too tight from 12 weeks onwards and I moved up to size 10, which is now starting to get tight too...

BumbleBee0 Thu 06-Aug-15 16:44:24

Jeez Ive been in maternity/my big size jeggings since about 6 wks!! blush I've been so bloated but I'm taking cyclogest which I think makes it worse not the constant eating and all the cake/chocolate. I'm having to wear baggy tops to cover the 'bump' til we start telling people.

Runningupthathill82 Thu 06-Aug-15 16:47:56

First pregnancy, 15 weeks. This time round, I could barely fasten my clothes at 6/7 weeks - that said, I did live in superskinny cigarette trousers or cords.

I can still fit in "ordinary" low slung jeans at 15 weeks, just none of my fitted stuff.

toffeeboffin Thu 06-Aug-15 16:48:17

After about six weeks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now