Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fed up already!

(24 Posts)
whatlifestylechoice Wed 05-Aug-15 15:32:01

I'm only 8 weeks but I'm already thoroughly fed up of being pregnant. I've been exhausted constantly for the last 4 weeks, and for the last two, I've had constant headaches and nausea. I should be working at the moment (I work from home) but I'm actually in bed. I would actually prefer to be working and having some energy to do stuff though. I really don't want to wish this baby anyway, but I'd love to just feel normal again.
I am delighted to actually be pregnant, but this whole pregnancy lark is a huge pain in the ass, isn't it? I can't help feeling that I am totally not a trooper, and that the next seven months are going to be pretty unbearable if I'm this fed up already.
Did anyone else feel like this so early on, and did it get any better?
Thanks

stupidgirl45 Wed 05-Aug-15 15:36:18

The first trimester is really tough so don't be hard on yourself.

Pregnancy as a whole can be tougher than people think - lots of hormones can send you a bit bonkers.

If you need to rest, you need to rest, you're doing the right thing.

If it helps, I'm 16wk with DC2 and am definitely not a trooper and really do not like being pregnant although this is a much wanted baby. I so hate having no energy and feeling so awful. It's just so relentless.

The nausea has eased up but my energy levels are very up and down - not sure how much this is to do with having a toddler as well!

From what I've heard from other mums we're all pretty knackered, you're growing a person inside you, it's hard work on your body.

Try to rest and dont beat yourself up. unmumsnetty hugs

congrats btw!

mumof2oneofeach Wed 05-Aug-15 15:36:35

Umm, truthfully my second pregnancy was miserable throughout. Sorry. Lots of people do find it gets better though, specially at 3 months.

There's a picture of me holding my newborn grinning like anything - everyone who sees it says how wonderful it is, how happy I was to see my baby. Ha! Nope I was so happy the pregnancy was over!!

whatlifestylechoice Wed 05-Aug-15 15:46:15

Thank you both for not telling me I'm a spoilt bitch who doesn't deserve to have a baby, because that's what I feel like. I think I was fifteen tHe last time I was this stroppy and hormonal.

stupidgirl45 Wed 05-Aug-15 15:50:01

Um that's the hormones, I am so tearful this pregnancy, I cry about 3 times a day!!!

I think theres a perception of pregnant mums being all happy and fairy dust and unicorns. And maybe some are. But lots I know just muddle through.

I literally cannot get enough rest and sleep in this pregnancy. Maybe it's pathetic maybe not - but when I'm tired I start dry retching which is lovely!

I was so glad also when I gave birth because YAY pregnancy was over.

I did also feel better as I got a bump and had some movements - it makes it more real - there is a baby in there.

MagpieCursedTea Wed 05-Aug-15 16:11:40

It took a long time, a lot of heart ache and 3 rounds of clomid to convince my DS.
I thought I'd be nothing but happy when I was pregnant but it was so hard! I really struggled, especially in the first trimester. I felt awful and ungrateful especially as others around me breezed through their pregnancies.
It's all worth it though I promise! I even miss being pregnant sometimes (rose tinted glasses!)

Congratulations by the way! Hope you start to feel better soon thanks

Stainlessteel Wed 05-Aug-15 16:38:42

When people ask how the first trimester was for me I normally reply saying that it was a good job I knew I was pregnant as otherwise I would have thought I was dying. They laugh somewhat nervously but it's the honest truth. I have never felt so awful for such an extended period of time. Luckily for me, it eased off around week 14 and I got back to a closer version of myself again (at least for the following 15 weeks). Sod trying to be a trooper, just try and hang on in there, whinging/sleeping/crying as much as you feel the need to. I hope you feel better in the second trimester and that it arrives pronto.x

lemon101 Wed 05-Aug-15 16:56:59

whatlifestyle I totally felt like that at the height of the first trimester - pretty much where you are now. Yes, you want the baby, but the hormones wear you out - they make you tired, nauseous and if you are like me, slightly down and depressed. Feeling fat as my torso got wider, but there was still no bump did not help either!

I certainly felt better and have largely been enjoying the second trimester and being pregnant. You will almost certainly feel better and much more positive about being pregnant soon. It is a big change to your body though and tbh this bollocks myth about blossoming womanhood, unrivalled joy and all that rubbish needs to be quickly ignored!

Gingernut81 Wed 05-Aug-15 18:44:31

I felt rubbish until about 16 weeks I'm afraid and no, you're not being s spoilt brat! My husband had a go at me initially as I went to bed as soon as I got in from work, directed him to numerous websites which told him what the first trimester was like and he soon backed off��
I'd just say try to rest as much as possible, unfortunately there's not much you can do about it!

whatlifestylechoice Wed 05-Aug-15 18:53:34

Thank you all for making me feel better about feeling so bad. smileflowers

It's true; at the moment, I don't feel pregnant, I just feel sick, and I'm a terrible patient when I'm sick.

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Wed 05-Aug-15 20:18:08

I don't think you can do anything in the first trimester but try & survive it by any means possible... I really hit a wall though around 12 weeks where I thought I'd never feel better again. At 20 weeks now i feel amazing by comparison.

mumof2oneofeach Wed 05-Aug-15 23:56:54

I would also go and see your GP if you're feeling really sick. I did and got tablets which helped. She was wonderful, told me I didn't need to suffer, that she understood and signed me off work for a few weeks. It was the best thing I did, I would never have taken time off by myself but it made me realise that I just couldn't go on and needed the rest.

stupidgirl45 Thu 06-Aug-15 09:36:29

Yes what mumof2 said - if you are feeling very sick you can get meds - I've had them too and had time off work and it did help.

Also if you feel your moods are very low rather than up/down PMT style bonkerness then please do tell your GP/MW - anxiety and depression are not uncommon in pregnancy and there is help and support out there. But hopefully its just general mood swings smile (I say this because I had ante-natal depression last time and I have it again this time)

You don't need to struggle in silence smile

BananaRaces Thu 06-Aug-15 11:44:38

ifyouwereariver you've just made me feel so much better! I'm 12+2 and have been a pathetic crying mess for the last couple of days. I'm trying really hard to hang on but it's just like you say - I've hit a wall where I feel like I'm going to be like this for the next 6 months. I really hope I feel more myself in the next couple of weeks. (crosses everything)

Absy Thu 06-Aug-15 12:26:29

I hear you - I'm 11 weeks and I've been feeling like hell for the last 6 weeks. I'm so happy that I can tell work next week as finally I can stop being a trouper and just tell them all that I feel like I'm going to hurl every two seconds, and I finally get access to the nap room. someone sent around a guide to different levels of hangovers (haha!) and I can confirm that the 1st trimester feels like a 3 star hangover (with 6 being the most severe).

This baby is VERY much wanted (nearly 3 years TTC, multiple failed fertility treatments and finally successful IVF), but man I'm suffering and can't wait for this to ease up.

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Thu 06-Aug-15 21:45:10

Hang in there bananaraces - I know everybody's different but somewhere between 14 and 16 weeks I gradually started to feel so much better.

TiggeryBear Sat 08-Aug-15 20:46:32

OP you have my deepest sympathies flowers I could have written this exact post. Fingers crossed you feel better soon. xxx

chopsface Sun 09-Aug-15 07:32:35

Oh dear OP I know how you feel too! I've felt rough for ages, I can't remember what it feels like to be well again! I'm now 22 weeks and things are getting better on the sickness front at last but now I'm getting aches and pains! I got signed off for sickness between weeks 13-16 and it was a good thing to get all that rest after having to pretend I was normal for the 1st trimester! Congratulations on your pregnancy, and remember its 9 months out of your life for a lifetime of happiness :-)

Wildflower91 Sun 09-Aug-15 08:46:01

I can totally relate my first trimester was horrible!!! I will spare you the gory details but I felt like it would never end....but it did!! I'm now 16 weeks and feeling amazing, my vomiting has stopped and I've got lots more energy. Even my mental state has improved, a lot less weepy moments! Your body is going through major changes, just give it time :-) xx

zannyminxoxox Sun 09-Aug-15 13:04:56

Im so tired too and emotional and snappy. I hate being pregnant to its so exhausting but at the same time I know im lucky to be having another baby but im just not feeling it at the minute hopefully when I have my scan I will see it's all worth these feelings

Bythedowns2 Sun 09-Aug-15 14:13:23

I am the same 5 and s half and this morning felt awful! Keep shaking and feeling light headed! Have 3yr dd and really struggling!! I am petrified of telling work and not sure how I am going to cope I only feel normal for a couple of hours in the evening!

Luckygirlcharlie Sun 09-Aug-15 15:12:53

Me too. 9 weeks with DC2 and so nauseous all the time. Wasn't this bad last time. Maybe a girl this time? The only good thing about it is that everyone says sickness is a good sign. So happy to be having second (and last!) child but hate being preg too :-( xx

mrshjb Sun 09-Aug-15 15:22:04

I hated pregnancy. I started to feel more human around 14 weeks but never really felt well all the way through. You are definitely not being stroppy. Pregnancy is effing hard!!!!

madsaz76 Sun 09-Aug-15 21:55:24

Me too. Week 14 and feel slightly better but just feel like I am not me. Hoping it is going to pass soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now