Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tunbridge Wells Hospital - Maternity

(5 Posts)
sk505 Wed 05-Aug-15 14:07:34

Hi, Anyone recently given birth at the new Tunbridge Wells hospital? It's my first baby and I'm considering taking a private midwife as I heard they often refuse to give an epidural. Getting quite nervous about this all!

ispyfispi Wed 05-Aug-15 14:11:13

Er, no midwife private or otherwise will be able to ensure you get an epidural on request. That will depend on your circumstances and the availability of an anaesthetist. Birth really isn't so bad, don't panic!

spydie Wed 05-Aug-15 18:59:22

I'm also expecting my first and TW is my local (well, 45 mins away....!) hospital too.

I haven't heard that they refuse epidurals, I specifically said to MW that I wanted to opt for the hospital rather than the birthing centre (which is even further away!) as I want the option of having an epidural. Where have you heard this? Maybe it's just down to individual circumstances that the people you heard it from couldn't have one?

Gerrythetootallgiraffeswife Wed 05-Aug-15 19:35:30

Had my first there in March 2013, and my second will hopefully be born there in January. I have nothing but good things to say about my experience there, and am not at all anxious about my second. I didn't need an epi, but of my friends who have had their babies there, many have had epidurals and I haven't heard of a single one having any problems with it. The current push is obviously for as little intervention as possible,so yes they may well want to make sure you're sure, and encourage you to try without, but that's the case everywhere I would imagine and they certainly wouldn't refuse of it was feasible.

dragonflyinthelillies Wed 05-Aug-15 19:53:02

I had my baby there in Feb and I have nothing but praise for the staff they were fantastic although very understaffed. (I was induced so experienced this more than you probably would for a normal delivery)

Because it is all private rooms they have women coming from quite far away so it is always busy.

I did ask for an epidural when labour ward was full and I'm pretty sure the anaesthetist came within half hour but it soon became clear I was way to far gone and pushed ds out about 15 mins later! (Fast progression)

It is a teaching hospital and the majority of my interaction was with student midwives who were brilliant, pleased don't be put off by them. I think if anything they were more attentive.

I would go there again without a doubt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now