Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I eat bacon when pregnant?

(41 Posts)
Minniemouse94 Wed 05-Aug-15 13:19:53

Really really fancy a bacon sandwich haha. Only. 5 weeks gone so I don't know lol

carriebrody Wed 05-Aug-15 13:20:35

Definitely not. You must avoid anything tasty while pregnant.

Minniemouse94 Wed 05-Aug-15 13:20:51

Really?

Emmalbae Wed 05-Aug-15 13:22:39

It's fine. www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx

This will tell you what to avoid

CorBlimeyTrousers Wed 05-Aug-15 13:27:27

I blood well hope so! I love bacon smile

BeautifulBatman Wed 05-Aug-15 13:28:26

No you musn't. It you can send it to me and I'll dispose of it safely for you. wink

HungryNearWestPier Wed 05-Aug-15 13:30:11

Enjoy it while you can... I completely went off bacon when pregnant with DD. Still not that keen on it now and she's just turned 14.

SevenEleven Wed 05-Aug-15 13:30:48

Errmmm... Yes!

CheeseandPickledOnion Wed 05-Aug-15 13:34:04

Really? lmgtfy.com/?q=can+i+eat+bacon+while+pregnant

cheezypeas Wed 05-Aug-15 13:35:44

I've been craving bacon and eating it by the truckload! I think I'm probably in danger of giving birth to a piglet hmm

Junosmum Wed 05-Aug-15 13:36:11

The tongue in cheek advice means it's a resounding yes. Bacon is perfectly safe for you to eat whilst pregnant, as long as it is in date, stored correctly and cooked thoroughly.

A previous poster has linked the NHS guidelines- they are what we use. If it isn't on the avoid list then it is safe to eat! (everything in moderation etc etc).

5hell Wed 05-Aug-15 13:36:38

dont even joke!...there have to be some joys left when pg now the wine is gone ponders if bacon sarnies taste better hungover or sober

ilovehotsauce Wed 05-Aug-15 13:36:40

Unless you are Jewish or Muslim then yeshmm

Minniemouse94 Wed 05-Aug-15 13:43:05

Thank you everyone, and I'm so sorry to those who think it's a silly question but I just want to make sure x

contractor6 Wed 05-Aug-15 14:02:31

Yes defo eat now, before heartburn kicks in

Junosmum Wed 05-Aug-15 14:03:28

No such thing as a silly question on this forum.

Cliffdiver Wed 05-Aug-15 14:04:49

Or allergic to bacon, hotsauce grin

MissEeerie Wed 05-Aug-15 14:09:12

Bacon is what's keeping me alive right now.

Sleepybeanbump Wed 05-Aug-15 14:17:50

Fuck me I panicked for a moment when I read this!

Wtf do people get this information. Someone told me the other day I shouldn't be eating smoked salmon , which is not the Nhs advice. I ignored them.

I'm going half mad for some Brie, pate and salami. Life without bacon would be the final straw!

sweetilemon Wed 05-Aug-15 14:27:58

I stopped buying and eating the cured bacon because I didn't cook it, just used to use it in sandwiches and on salads. Normal bacon - of course, yummy!

milliemanzi Wed 05-Aug-15 14:33:01

Someone told me I couldn't eat prawns. I think people forget advice changes all the time!

BeautifulBatman Wed 05-Aug-15 14:43:10

Apart from liver, I've eaten anything I want. Peanuts, soft eggs, blue cheese, rare steak, shellfish, cured meats etc.

UrethraFranklin1 Wed 05-Aug-15 14:43:40

Advice does not change all the time. People talk shit all the time, and always have done, thats not the same thing.
If you're going to ask here everytime you want to eat something its going to be a looong nine months.

cheezypeas Wed 05-Aug-15 14:47:32

Funny how you are so much more relaxed 2nd time. I remember having a nervous breakdown last time about having inadvertently eaten a bit of brie. I was convinced I was going to give birth to a two headed beast lol. Fortunately I didn't. Not even read any guidelines this time and not entirely sure what I'm meant to be avoiding apart from certain cheeses hmm

milliemanzi Wed 05-Aug-15 16:21:54

Whaaa urethra it does change! It wasn't that long ago was it that pregnant women were told to keep away from peanuts! Now I can eat peanut butter my heart's content (thank goodness). Also guidelines vary from country to country.
Starting a thread each time you're worried IS a bit pointless though when the NHS guidelines are pretty easy to google.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now