Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just found out that I'm pregnant at 41 with 4th baby!

(15 Posts)
LadyV Wed 05-Aug-15 11:07:26

Any advice? I'm pretty nervous! Delighted, but nervous!

Battleshiphips Wed 05-Aug-15 11:10:10

Congrats flowers how far along are you. I'm 9 weeks with #2. My ds is almost 8 and I'm 39. Will be almost 40 when I give birth. I've got terrible sickness this time round!

cloudjumper Wed 05-Aug-15 12:54:18

Congratulations!
Come and join us on the 40+ & pregnant thread on here, you'll have lots of company smile

nicnicspicnic Wed 05-Aug-15 14:42:11

Congrats LadyV and snap. I'm 17 wks pregnant with 4th baby and I'm 41. It was a complete surprise but I've found I'm a lot more anxious this time round, mainly down to my age and also previous mc. I also google too much about problems with being an older mum - which is not good. I had the Harmony test which partly reassured me (and I found out I'm having another boy.) People's reactions are interesting when I tell them. Some people think I'm mad (especially when I tell them I'll have 4 boys) and some are really pleased for me. Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

LadyV Thu 06-Aug-15 10:13:58

Thanks everyone - congrats to you all too - will come and join you cloudjumper ! nicnicspicnic did you have extra tests at 12 weeks? etc? xxx

GoooRooo Thu 06-Aug-15 10:16:00

Congrats! Another 40+er here. I'll be 41 when DC2 arrives.

One of the benefits of being an older mum is that the consultants/midwives talk to you like a proper grown up.

nicnicspicnic Thu 06-Aug-15 13:42:19

LadyV I haven't had to have any extra tests. I chose to have the Harmony test for my own reassurance even before I had the Downs Test. My midwife said that as this isn't my first, my weight is good and I don't smoke then she doesn't consider me high risk. I still have a consultant apt at 24 weeks so it will be interesting to see what he says. Other than feeling tired ( which is probably down to summer hols and entertaining 3 DS!) I feel fine. Hopefully you'll have a really boring and uneventful pregnancy.

crumble74 Thu 06-Aug-15 13:55:43

Hi ladyv, congrats! Like cloud says, come join us in the ever growing 40+ thread! I'm 41 next month and I'm 19 weeks. I didn't have any other tests apart from the Harmony.

LongDayAlready Thu 06-Aug-15 23:30:59

Congrats, Lady V. And snap! Well, am 42 now but was 41 when found out. Took me a while to get my head round it but looking forward to it now, not least as I really don't want to be pregnant anymore - nature is very clever like that.

Only 6.5 weeks to go and have done very little thus far - still have most stuff from 3-year-old DC3 and all the others have been late so am hoping have time once they're back at school. Trying to make most of school hols but really rather tired now - and certain family members seem to have no interest whatsoever. Luckily, DC are wildly excited, so all worthwhile.

And another vote for the 40+ thread - I was pleasantly surprised to see so many others there.

Take care.

bretonstripedmum Thu 06-Aug-15 23:39:41

Congrats! flowers

TaytoCrisp Thu 06-Aug-15 23:41:25

Congratulations! My gorgeous little 10 month old is fast asleep gathering her energies for an exciting day with mummy (42) tomorrow! She is perfect and completes our family. I'm sure your little one will too.

LadyV Fri 07-Aug-15 11:53:58

Hi - I don't know what a Harmony test is! It's obviously been introduced since 2008 when my twins were born! What is it? Do the NHS do it? Or is it something you pay for? x

RooibosTeaAgain Fri 07-Aug-15 12:48:17

Where I live no, have to pay ( around £500 here) but if you are in say one of the London hospitals that are trialling it then it can be offered ( not sure of their criteria). It looks for the main trisomies but it is not diagnostic like an amnio just a screening test currently. Some people opt for it if their NT scan results at 13 weeks show a higher risk instead of an amnio.

RooibosTeaAgain Fri 07-Aug-15 12:48:49

Sorry should have said congratulations - will have my 3rd do at 40.

ArseForElbow Fri 07-Aug-15 12:51:26

Congratulations!! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now