Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early pregnancy scan? Any recommendations?

(28 Posts)
emmac3616 Tue 04-Aug-15 22:30:02

Wonder if anyone London-based can help - I have literally just found out I'm pregnant, and for various reasons I'm a bit concerned and want a scan before the NHS nuchal / 12 weeks one to reassure me that this is a viable pregnancy. Has anyone had a private early pregnancy scan at 7 weeks+ in London? I don't need anything complicated just a basic early scan. I had my DS at Chelsea & Westminster and I think the Kensington Wing there offers them, but I have not spoken to anyone that's had one. Does anyone have any personal experience of this? ll help much appreciated! :-)

Brummiegirl15 Tue 04-Aug-15 22:36:29

There are lots of places that offer private scans. You just google. Baby bond is one.

Only thing to bear in mind is that a lot of time for private scans they are just trained to use the equipment, not to actually interpret the results of the scan.

However there are loads of places, it'll cost you about £80 - £100

Brummiegirl15 Tue 04-Aug-15 22:37:54

Sorry just seen you are debating a private clinic of a hospital - that's definitely better

thelionsleeps Tue 04-Aug-15 22:47:03

Fetal medical clinic in harley street is fantastic. They do scans from 6 weeks.

BeautifulBatman Tue 04-Aug-15 22:56:22

I hate to put a downer on things but having a good early scan won't necessarily mean it's a viable pregnancy. Absolutely have one but you really need to hang out for the 12 week scan, then you can relax a bit more.

bittapitta Tue 04-Aug-15 22:59:33

Why does it need to be private? Many NHS hospitals offer this as a fantastic drop in service. You have a legitimate reason: anxiety. PM me if you want to know the hospital I went to.

emmac3616 Wed 05-Aug-15 08:41:13

Thanks all, don't worry, I'm totally aware an early scan is no guarantee of a viable pregnancy - but it at least tells you something is there! I am looking privately as I know C&W won't do one without medical need and I don't think the anxiety argument will convince them easily... so it's easier this way.

Someone else mentioned Fetal Medical Clinic - thelionsleeps have you used them personally?

Thank you so much!

emmac3616 Wed 05-Aug-15 08:45:46

Has anyone ever used Chelsea Birth Clinic? Appears to be linked to the Kensington Wing at C&W?

scarednoob Wed 05-Aug-15 10:47:13

fetal medical centre is the best one, on Harley street. and their profits go to a charity for premature babies.

I don't recommend the birth company. I had my early scan there, and pretty much everything she told us was wrong, down to which side I'd ovulated from that month. my OH wants our £150 back!!

scarednoob Wed 05-Aug-15 10:47:55

www.fetalmedicine.com/

here you are

emmac3616 Wed 05-Aug-15 14:12:48

Fab - thank you scarednoob

thelionsleeps Thu 06-Aug-15 14:31:54

Yes I've used them and found them to be great. Thorough scans and lots of time to ask questions. Good luck!

Duckstar Thu 06-Aug-15 14:37:56

Ive used Fetal Medicine Centre. Went for an early scan at 7 weeks. £100. Was so impressed with service having my 12 week scan and harmony test there.

Raeside Thu 06-Aug-15 16:52:07

I used the Feta Medical
Centre in my first pregnancy and am back there on Monday at 7+3 for an early viability scan. It's £100 and all profits are ploughed back into research. Their equipment is great and the Drs and Sonographers are extremely thorough. Would recommend.

RooibosTeaAgain Thu 06-Aug-15 17:26:30

I used FMC on Harley Street at 14 weeks. They were excellent. You get scanned by a qualified consultant. Only thing I found was they did not run to time ( so take a book) but that was because they gave everyone as long as they need. They scanned us, had Harmony and then we waited to be scanned by the top consultant after that.

Tobebythesea Thu 06-Aug-15 17:31:55

Hi. I'm 10 weeks pregnant and plan to give birth at the Kensington Wing. I had my private dating scan last week at the Women's Wellness Centre, Fulham Road.

emmac3616 Thu 06-Aug-15 21:25:55

Tobebythesea that's good to know, thank you! I had my DS at C&W and transferred straight to the Kensington Wing after labour... they were AMAZING! I am seriously debating doing it privately with them this time... so maybe I should go to the Women's Wellness Centre for the scan... were they good?

emmac3616 Thu 06-Aug-15 21:35:12

PS. meant to say, thank you all for your experiences - FMC sounds great!

Baffledmumtoday Thu 06-Aug-15 21:37:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tobebythesea Thu 06-Aug-15 22:32:32

I would definitely recommend it. No waiting, calm environment and the consultant did my scan.

I had a tour around the Kensington Wing afterwards and it put me at ease. I can see why you liked it. ��

leadcrow Fri 07-Aug-15 07:35:09

If you're anxious and are wanton a scan for reassurance you can drop in to the early pregnancy unit at Kings (nearest station Denmark hill). If you experinece pain and/or bleeding you can drop into the early pregnancy unit at St Thomas (nearest station Waterloo or Westminster)

bittapitta Fri 07-Aug-15 10:34:05

I said that too upthread leadcrow but OP has an aversion to it for some reason. "Maternal anxiety" is one of the tick boxes on the form when you go to the epu /shrugs

warriorbot Fri 07-Aug-15 13:03:41

Can confirm that the Fetal Medicine Centre is terrific! Really thorough scan as part of their 10 week harmony package. I've been given pics and reports to take to my booking appointment in a couple of weeks. I really recommend them for the extent of the communication and the thoroughness of the scan that they offered!

leadcrow Sat 08-Aug-15 12:03:02

Bittapitta yes thanks for that I did notice. OP is based in London and actually I know that guys and St Thomas won't do scans for anxiety because I myself got told that I couldn't have an early scan there despite having had a miscarriage there before...hence the advice o gave concerning specific hospitals and their policies close to where OP can go.

bittapitta Sat 08-Aug-15 15:21:53

Exactly leadcrow, and that's why I told the OP to PM me for a recommendation as I've been in the same position as you and had a great experience at a London hospital EPU where I got an early scan based on exactly the reasons you gave. But it seems like she doesn't want to use the NHS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now