Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bleeding after sex in 1st trimester

(6 Posts)
Missdee2014 Tue 04-Aug-15 13:54:33

I'm 8+1 and have just had a spot of blood after sex. Has anyone else experienced this and everything been ok?

I have had this before but I went on to mc the baby. Guess I'm just looking for some positive experiences of this.

lemon101 Tue 04-Aug-15 13:59:28

I had a bit of bleeding in the first trimester but googling it at the time seemed to confirm that this can happen just because of the increase in vulnerable blood vessels in the area that can get damaged doing the deed! Its not uncommon I don't think.

I'm 22 weeks and haven't had any bleeding after sex since and the baby is fine.

Don't worry too much - if its just a little bit of blood it is most likely nothing.

Missdee2014 Tue 04-Aug-15 14:23:56

Thank for your reply. Typical, I'm on holiday at the moment. Called my own early pregnancy unit and they are able to scan me tomorrow but as I'm away from home I can't manage. Called local unit and they don't have scanning facilities - would need to travel 2 hours and need to be referred by a local gp! Remind me never to go on holiday again in early pregnancy shock

CarrotPuff Tue 04-Aug-15 15:58:00

I had this twice with my first. DS is 20mo old now making a mess on the kitchen floor. If it's just one off tiny bleed right after sex I wouldn't worry.

superbabysmummy Tue 04-Aug-15 18:38:32

As long as it's fresh blood and not too much of it, it's fine! I had this and asked my midwife, she preempted what I was going to say before I even said it. Very common, very normal apparently. Something to do with I increased blood flow and blood vessels being closer to the surface when pregnant. Pregnant people also more prone to nosebleed and gum bleed etc. If you are worries though speak to your midwife smile

Frillsandspills Tue 04-Aug-15 23:03:54

I had this during the first tri and I've had it now in my second. I discovered I have something on my cervix (forgot the name, kind of like erosion?) but due to the increased blood flow it can often bleed slightly but only ever small amounts and it's more like to occur after sex or it could just happen randomly but as long as it's only when you wipe and it's not much. I was told it was completely harmless!

If you're worried it may be worth just getting it checked out, it took a few doctors to look at me before diagnosing it and telling me it's not a problem.
Either way bleeding after sex I've been told is common! But for your own reassurance you can always get checked out - I felt a lot better after I did!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now