Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Spa break whilst pregnant

(16 Posts)
Shoegal30 Tue 04-Aug-15 13:10:51

I am looking to do a short uk city break in the next couple of weeks.

I am 17 weeks and was supposed to ask the midwife yesterday if I can visit a spa? Any advice?

Heels99 Tue 04-Aug-15 13:12:25

Well you can't do the sauna hot tub or jacuzzi, you can of course have a beauty treatment as long as it is safe for pg. I think spas are a bit of a waste when pg to be honest

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 04-Aug-15 13:20:24

You can get special pregnancy spa breaks - expensive though!

PotteringAlong Tue 04-Aug-15 13:24:55

I go with waste of money too. You're essentially paying lots of money for a swim.

Nousername2015 Tue 04-Aug-15 13:55:56

To buck the opinions a bit, I've just been for one for my birthday and I'm 16 weeks. I loved it. When OH was in the hot tub or jacuzzi I perched on the side with my legs in so got the jets on my feet and calves. Had a 'mum to be' massage, I've only ever had a back massage before and this was my back (I was lying on my side), legs and feet, arms and hands, shoulders and neck and then head and temples. Also had a lovely swim outside and a nice walk in the grounds. I came home feeling really refreshed and relaxed and don't feel like I missed out at all. Spas are expensive anyway even when not pregnant. It depends what you're looking to get out of the experience really.

mrstothemr Tue 04-Aug-15 14:30:09

I've done spas whilst pregnant and completely loved it... Rest by the pool, swim, massage, low impact classes, just read a magazine, whatever. I guess it is a bit indulgent, but I see it as paid for relaxation time. And once you've got your little one that's going to be a lovely memory smile

I don't think there's any issue with going, tell them you're pregnant and they'll advise. Hope you go for it and have a fab time x

vvviola Tue 04-Aug-15 14:36:48

A lot of spas won't give a pregnant woman any treatments (including the mum-to-be ones) without a doctor's letter confirming it is ok (or at least the 6 I looked into when on holidays and pg with DD2 angry)

So I'd definitely check with them before booking anything.

The last spa I was at would have been an utter waste of pregnant, as all the pools/steam rooms etc were unsuitable, so you could have sat on a sun lounger by th jaccuzi and maybe had a pedicure.

Eastie77 Tue 04-Aug-15 14:37:10

I'm going on a mum to be spa break next month and can't wait. I also went on one when I was pg with my first child and loved it. Had a lovely massage, some beauty treatments, swim in a couple of different 'experience pools' and stayed overnight at the spa hotel. Horses for courses I guess as some people see it as an overly expensive indulgence but I thought it was worth every penny.

Topsy34 Tue 04-Aug-15 15:25:00

I went on a spa day with a friend when i was 7 months and they advise no to use the sauna or jacuzzi. I had a lovely head and shoulder massage and facial. The therapist was fab and put rolled towels under my back so i didnt ache, and slightly lifted the head of the bed so blood flow wasn't restricted.

It is expensive, but as a special treat, go for it, i felt amazing after

Choccyhobnob Tue 04-Aug-15 15:55:51

I just had one for my birthday when I was 30 weeks pregnant, I don't really like saunas and steam rooms anyway but sat in the Jacuzzi without the jets on (as didn't see how it differed from my bath at home!) for a bit, had a lovely swim, lounged by the pool with my book, had a pedicure and a lovely afternoon tea and went in the gym for a bit, really enjoyed it!

Shoegal30 Tue 04-Aug-15 18:31:54

Thanks all this is great advice. It's our anniversary so we are thinking of having a little celebration and break before the baby.

In all honesty I'm not big on massages or the steam rooms although hubby is but I will happily relax in the pool.

Am trying to find a nice country hotel and spa so we can go for nice walks. Any recommendations? We don't mind travelling.

PurpleDaisies Tue 04-Aug-15 18:38:03

www.lakevyrnwy.com

We've been here and would highly recommend it. Loads of lovely walks around the area too.

Shoegal30 Tue 04-Aug-15 19:00:52

Wow thanks Purple. Have just taken a quick peek and it looks stunning. Will show hubby tomorrow.

applecore0317 Tue 04-Aug-15 19:31:07

I went on a spa break at 27 weeks, I had a head, neck and shoulder massage, they used a different type of oil due to me being pregnant, also had a manicure, swam and lazed by the pool. It was nice but would have preferred it post pregnancy.

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Tue 04-Aug-15 20:37:33

Personally I did use an outdoor hot tub recently at 20 weeks as it really wasn't very warm at all. The pool we were at had a swim in jacuzzi - it was the same temp as the pool so I used that too. I didn't use the steam room or sauna as my blood pressure is a bit low at the m

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Tue 04-Aug-15 20:40:46

... moment but I didn't feel like i was missing out. I've got a pregnancy spa package booked for a few weeks time & can't wait.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now