Talk

Advanced search

Doppler - yay or nay? ?

(27 Posts)
AmiL123 Mon 03-Aug-15 22:19:41

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

mummyneedinganswers Mon 03-Aug-15 22:27:37

Its easy to become obsessed And sometimes you won't be able to find your babies heartbeat as your not trained and it cause so much stress in them situations. You don't want to become fixated on the Doppler as I have seen others say too many ultrasounds aren't good and the dopple is the same kind of thing so obsessive use of a dopple couldn't be gd xx

ARV1981 Mon 03-Aug-15 22:31:44

I got one, and predictably became addicted to it.

I had to ask my dh to hide it from me in the end.

At 17 weeks, you're so close to feeling proper movements I would wait. Once I started to feel baby moving, I didn't need the Doppler.

AmiL123 Mon 03-Aug-15 22:37:37

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Poppiesway Mon 03-Aug-15 22:41:32

Please don't get one..
It's unnecessary use of ultrasound, too many is not good. Which is why doctors actually prescribe them..
Also people pick up there own blood flow and merrily listen away to themselves....

ARV1981 Tue 04-Aug-15 07:08:12

I started to feel flutterings at around 18 weeks, but some people can't feel anything until 24-25 weeks. If your placenta is at the front then movements will take longer to be felt and won't be as strong as if the placenta is at the back. Mine is at the back so I felt movement fairly early on for a first pregnancy.

When do you next see your midwife? You should explain your anxiety to her and ask if she will let you listen to the baby's heartbeat on her Doppler. She may refuse (some trust's have a policy about this), but you have nothing to lose by asking. She may be able to give you some more practical ways of dealing with this anxiety. I think it's very commonplace!

You are also only three weeks away from your 20 week scan. Then you get to see your little one! Try to look forward to this and stay strong.

Your bump is lovely by the way smile

CarShare Tue 04-Aug-15 07:22:46

I have one. I use it once a week and so far have always heard the baby (HR of approx 155 compared to placenta at 120 and mine at 80ish). I'm 14 weeks and have used it since week 9. I'm not remotely obsessed and really enjoy my weekly closer connection with my baby. My sister used one throughout and panicked once when she couldn't find the baby's heartbeat so she tried again the next day and found it. we enjoy having one but can see it's not for everyone.

KatyN Tue 04-Aug-15 07:39:02

Nay from me. I would get obsessed and it would be a disaster.

Could you arrange to pop to your friends once a week until your 20 week scan? After that, you'll start feeling movements which are amazing.

It is a scary time, but also you need to think what you would do if you couldn't find a heart beat.

K

Topsy34 Tue 04-Aug-15 07:49:34

Nay from me.

There have been some studies that say too much exposure to doppler is harmful, to do with the concentrated waves that are emitted.

As someone who had a miscarriage in January, a doppler would have been very reasurring early on, but with those studies in mind and the acutal chance of getting the babys hb, I resisted getting one.

Im very fortunate to have a mw who i saw during my miscarriage (even though it was at 9 week) and then same one in this pregancy, and she is really understanding and has checked the hb a few times extra with one of those funnel...pinnard?

curlii103 Tue 04-Aug-15 08:59:03

No from me...its stressful being pregnant abd a doppler is only reassuring if you know how to use them properly. It looks easy but would you be able to pick up if something wasn't quite tight or would you hear the heartbeat and assume it was all fine.

SomewhereovertheRainbow02 Tue 04-Aug-15 11:23:43

I got one, best thing i ever did to stop me going insane.
Used it most days to check in on little one until i started feeling movements. Very reassuring for me

Glindathegoodwitch Tue 04-Aug-15 11:28:56

I use mine about once a week with my partner, he is a pro at finding the heartbeat. Just be really strict with yourself, if you don't find it after , say 10 minutes, put it away and try again tomorrow. Only once have we not been able to find it. It's a novelty that soon wears off.

Notso Tue 04-Aug-15 11:34:08

No. I got one with DC1 after previously losing a baby late in pregnancy. I became obsessed, DH threw it away after the tenth time I phoned him in tears after not being able to find a heartbeat.
Since then I have spoken to a friend who is an experienced sonographer said she would certainly not recommend 'vanity' use of Doppler or scans.

TeddyRuxpinsSmile Tue 04-Aug-15 11:38:03

It was a good thing for me, as it set my mind at rest. I only used it once a week or so for 5 mins or less- just to check the baby was ok. She's a healthy 15 month old now.

CarShare Tue 04-Aug-15 11:46:17

Topsy- do you have the links to the studies that provide evidence to suggest that Doppler use is harmful? I've looked everywhere for something robust and can't find anything

Poppiesway Tue 04-Aug-15 12:04:40

hand held Doppler warning

ultrasound risks

On ultrasound machines we can control the power level, there is a specific level which should not be gone over, and certain areas of the fetal bodies should not be exposed to ultrasound for different time rates.. Eg the eyes, bones and tissues all have different amount of safety limits for how lone they should be exposed to ultrasound for.

bestguess23 Tue 04-Aug-15 12:07:23

My MW warned against Dopplers as she said there are real concerns about the safety risk. As with anything, we probably shouldn't look for proof it's been proven harmful, rather proof it's been proven safe. They also do cause huge stress when the baby manoeuvres itself into an awkward position and you can't hear the heartbeat.

CarShare Tue 04-Aug-15 12:15:08

Thanks poppies- I'll have a read this evening- have a feeling have reviewed some of that info already but will certainly take a second look

Doublebubblebubble Tue 04-Aug-15 16:01:35

Nay -I personally feel that some things should be left to the professionals

And as others have said there are real health concerns not including your own mental health...

you feel reassured tonight but what happens when you cant find your baby's heartbeat...

scarednoob Tue 04-Aug-15 16:21:40

I think you have to know yourself. I wouldn't get one, because I would become utterly obsessed with it. but some people can use them seldom and sensibly.

I started to feel some flutters (thought they were farts at first, how lovely) at about 17 weeks, then by 19 weeks it was clear. now I have replaced panicking about miscarriage with panicking about counting movements!

zannyminxoxox Sun 09-Aug-15 10:00:48

I had a doppler for both pregnancies and found them very reasurring

MummyPiggy87 Sun 09-Aug-15 15:59:00

I got one, I didn't become obsessed at all, I tried for 3 years to get pregnant and suffered a miscarriage. So having one really helped me, a couple of times a had light bleeds and went into a panic, where I would normally have gone to a&e freaking out, my DH used to help me find the little heartbeat. Mine was an ex midwifes so picked it up from 9 weeks but usually you can't detect from 18 weeks I've heard??

MummyPiggy87 Sun 09-Aug-15 16:00:57

And I used it the same as Teddy ^ did really or every other week. But once I felt very strong movement around 20 weeks I haven't even touched it.

PotteringAlong Sun 09-Aug-15 16:05:23

No way. You're not qualified, step away from medical equipment.

Plateofcrumbs Sun 09-Aug-15 16:07:34

I have a friend who nearly lost her baby after being falsely reassured by a Doppler reading (luckily she thought again, went in for a check up and ended up with an immediate EMCS). Best left to the professionals IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now