Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Godparents before the birth

(8 Posts)
NicNak22 Mon 03-Aug-15 20:32:30

Hi

I am 20 weeks and we are thinking of making cards with scan image and poem to ask godparents . We will want little one Christened pretty son after birth. Do you think it's OK to ask before the birth ?

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Mon 03-Aug-15 20:34:31

Personally, I wouldn't, because I'm superstitious like that (and I know lots of my friends would be uncomfortable about being asked in advance too). But in the hospital when they come to visit you would be fine smile

Minniemagoo Mon 03-Aug-15 20:37:26

No problem , I have asked and been asked. But I am not superstitious at all.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 03-Aug-15 20:40:11

You know your friends best. I'd be uncomfortable being asked at this stage in pregnancy but you know them and perhaps they wouldn't mind?

goodnessgraciousgouda Mon 03-Aug-15 20:51:20

Is there any reason why you are keen to rush it?

You're only half way through the pregnancy! Maybe just take a step back. You could always ask them after the birth and send them a picture of the actual baby.

Scans are amazing when you're the parent, but to most people they are pretty much just grainy blobs.

Newtobecomingamum Mon 03-Aug-15 21:16:43

Hi, I got a special card saying to
Someone Special and inside put a scan picture saying 'will you be my godparents' and the two couples were so emotional and over the moon.

GoooRooo Mon 03-Aug-15 21:30:30

I wouldn't because some people are WEIRD once babies are born. Friends you think will be very supportive will suddenly disappear from your life and people you don't think you're close to suddenly become your best friends. I would wait and make a final decision once the baby has been here a while.

NicNak22 Mon 03-Aug-15 21:40:01

Thank you for the advice, I'm not in any rush however I would have my baby welcomed into my church soon after birth and I thought this gave the friends time to consider their decision before accepting the responsibility. Also allows them to be part of the planning process, make sure they are available on the day we choose. But I understand what you are saying about superstition however non of the people I would ask would even entertain that as an idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now