Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Second + time mums - did your wriggly foetus turn into a very wriggly baby/child?

(18 Posts)
coveredinsnot Mon 03-Aug-15 19:42:45

I'm 34 weeks pregnant with my second child. First pregnancy was straightforward apart from the birth. Remember DS moving in utero but never finding it terribly uncomfortable or overtly noticeable really. This baby (a girl) is totally different! Literally doesn't stop wriggling all day and often keeps me awake at night. Some of the wriggles and kicks are quite painful too. Is this unusual? A sign of a particularly active temperament? Or just 'one of those things' ???

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Mon 03-Aug-15 19:44:09

Yes! DD2 was very very wriggly inside (her movements often hurt me!) and at 4 weeks old she doesn't stop moving. She even rolls over from back to front!

coveredinsnot Mon 03-Aug-15 19:46:22

On wow. I do fear I've got a busy few years ahead of me with this one!!! Will she ever sleep...? I do wonder.

DueOct30th Mon 03-Aug-15 19:46:25

YepDD2 wouldn't stay still long enough to to do the 20 week scan it took ages longer than 1st time round. She never stops moving now at 18 months! grin

coveredinsnot Mon 03-Aug-15 19:51:08

I honestly thought having a girl would mean having a little sitting dumpling as everyone told me girls don't move as much as boys!! Was looking forward to being lazy... My son was and still is incredibly active. Obviously just produce little bundles of energy!!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Mon 03-Aug-15 19:52:18

My first daughter is 21 months and never sits still, I was hoping for a calmer one this time but it's not looking likely so far!

TakesTwoToTango Mon 03-Aug-15 19:52:31

Same here op! My active babies in utero have turned into very busy little people grin In the plus side, they wear themselves out during the day and are very good night time sleepers, so there maybe a silver lining!

Luciferbox Mon 03-Aug-15 19:53:47

Yes! DS1 was never still and we called him wriggler and he's the same now, a very active 3 y/o. I'm now 40+4 with DC2 and the baby behaves just the same so I'm expecting another active one.

MrsNutella Mon 03-Aug-15 19:56:07

DD is DC2. And exactly what you describe, wriggly and painfully strong with kicks and hiccups and whatever she could manage in there. Even swapping sides late in the day, that was like a special kind of torture that she kept for when I wanted to relax and head to bed.

She is always on the move but not quite as manic as her big brother.

She will be a year old soon.

I think she moves as much as she feels is reasonably necessary to get what she wants - her brother's toys, some food, to play with the curtains grinyou know, the essentials v

Doublebubblebubble Mon 03-Aug-15 19:59:48

My DD was quite still and calm. Super laid back child and always has been. Her little brother (currently 31 weeks pregnant with him) has been non-stop since the first moment I felt him... Very worried as DD slept through the night from 18 days. -- I loves me sleep-- x

cheezypeas Mon 03-Aug-15 20:00:07

I've been wondering this! DD was very calm and even in later stages felt little movement. She is now a very calm and studious 6 year old. Feeling much more movement with this one although still not uncomfortable, I get quite dainty little prods and can go long periods during the day when I don't feel much...

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 03-Aug-15 20:04:23

DS was always on the move in the womb,but on the outside he's a bit lazy really, not crawling much etc. This baby is calmer but I have anterior placenta so perhaps that's why I think so

coveredinsnot Mon 03-Aug-15 20:21:31

Interesting! Tbh i have no idea where my placenta was with ds, just seemed to have a lot less info 7 years ago! This time I seem to have the measurementsand position of everything, it's such a difference. Posterior placenta definitely this time so perhaps that's partly what's happening
Although I do get regular jabs and punches and kicks in the ribs, cervix etc... And often it just looks like she wants to break out of my belly, alien style!

sunnydayinmay Mon 03-Aug-15 20:42:42

I have two boys, and their personalities were very clear during pregnancy.

DS1 kicked and kicked. Proper hard, in your ribs, painful kicks and punches. He's always been very active, sporty, jumps and bounces a lot.

DS2 was light and gentle and tickled. He's very gentle, into jigsaws, computers and music. He's always looking for things to stroke.

Good luck with yours!grin

GoooRooo Mon 03-Aug-15 21:20:33

DS was a very very quiet baby in utero. He hasn't sat still since he was born!

DD is currently still inside me (32 weeks) and doesn't stop moving. I hope this means she will be the reverse of DS and will be a sitter!

Roseybee10 Mon 03-Aug-15 21:30:40

YES!!
However dd1 wAs even more weiggly in utero thN dd2 and she was a very calm, unwriggly baby.
Dd2 is mental lol.

coveredinsnot Mon 03-Aug-15 22:12:43

I guess I'll just have to wait and see..... smile

ImnotawitchImyourwife Mon 03-Aug-15 22:39:15

It was definitely the case for DS1. I felt regularly beaten up whilst pregnant with him and remember googling the same question after being told I should be feeling at least ten movements an hour. Ten movements a minute was more like it and 3-4am was party time every night. DS1 is three now and has never been still. He hits the ground running in the morning and doesn't stop until bedtime. If we don't take him out to burn off some energy after dinner each night bedtime will often be after 9 too! As PPs have said though, the plus side is that when he finally does go to bed he's a very good sleeper.
Currently 25 weeks with DS2 and up to now he seems a lot calmer. I do have an anterior placenta though (placenta praevia with DS1), so maybe that's just masking another wriggler. Time will tell...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now