Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cot recommendations?!

(11 Posts)
Gingernut81 Sun 02-Aug-15 19:23:49

Ok, I'm a first time mother and driving myself round the bend trying to decide what cot is good/bad! The amount of choice is mental & I'm worried that if I don't spend enough I'll end up with one that won't last! I have up to about £400, does any one have any recommendations? Thanks x

GoooRooo Sun 02-Aug-15 19:29:04

Ikea. I have this one which is £60 plus the mattress. You'll need to buy the sheets to fit though as they're not standard sizes (Ikea sell those too).

It's done my DS and I'm about to use it again (with a new mattress) when DD is born.

It's been perfectly fine.

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00248529/

AmandaTanen Sun 02-Aug-15 19:34:30

First time round I bought the Cosatto Hogarth cotbed, 3 heights and a drop side, went with a medium priced mattress, DD was in it until she transferred to her mid sleeper, at nearly 4. Second time round due to space issues we bought the ikea basic cot and it's fab too, the mattress for maybe £60 with a protector on top and it feels so comfortable, if I could fit in it I'm sure I would sleep well. I will transfer DD2 to the cotbed in time though.

LumpyCustard69 Sun 02-Aug-15 22:08:51

Cosatto Arlo cotbed is brilliant.

middlings Sun 02-Aug-15 22:14:02

The standard john Lewis three height one. With a good mothercRe mattress. Will cost you about £190 all in! Dd1 moved out of it at 19 months so dd2 could have it and dd2 moved out of it at 22 months to inherit DD1's cotbed when dd1 went into my childhood bed! We got it second hand from a friend and bought a new mattress - so dd2 was child five in it and I'm about to hand it onto a friend who's expecting twins and it's still going strong.

Iloveonionchutney Sun 02-Aug-15 22:17:20

I bought a display cotbed from toys-r-us, cost £120. My dd used it til she was 4 and were about to put it back together for baby due in October. Don't believe that they won't last if you don't spend enough, just go with one you like and that is practical for you.

Gingernut81 Mon 03-Aug-15 06:53:13

Thanks for the advice! X

fhdl34 Mon 03-Aug-15 07:00:03

I have that IKEA one, used it for both kids. The only thing I would say about it is both my kids were crawl around in their sleep head bangers and I often wonder if they'd had a 70 x 140 if they'd not have woken themselves up so much but that could just be my kids. I like the fact it was the exactly same size as our travel cot so we could take the mattress on holiday to use in it as travel cot mattresses are so hard

beehappybe Mon 03-Aug-15 12:04:51

I have been researching this too and found out that US banned cotbeds with drop side due to safety concerns. I have used one with drop side when my (much younger) brother was a baby and must say the drop side was a nightmare so whatever cotbed I will be getting four our little one will NOT have a dropside.

goodnessgraciousgouda Mon 03-Aug-15 13:10:54

OP - it will sort of depend what sort of space you have, if you are planning to move in the next year or so, etc.

We are starting off with a moses basket/generic small sleeping thing, and then will sort out a cot bed when that is outgrown.

middlings Mon 03-Aug-15 13:52:49

Our Boori cotbed has a drop side and I have never used it. It doesn't go down far enough to make it worth it! DH has put it up so that the drop side isn't enabled. By the time they're big enough for it to be at the bottom, they're big enough to be sitting (unless there's SN obvs) so you tend not to have to lean the whole way in to pick them up anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now