Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

moses basket vs cot. First baby and baffled!

(31 Posts)
melonface Sun 02-Aug-15 13:51:04

Expecting DC #1 and I'm baffled by sleeping options. Keep thinking that a moses basket seems a waste of money for such a short space of time. Could baby go straight into a cot in our room overnight and sleep in pram carrycot in the day?

Interested to hear others experience and what products you'd recommend! Trying to make sensible choices and not be too 'PFB'.

newbian Sun 02-Aug-15 14:00:47

Can't share experience but we bought a crib (I'm American so I guess that is the same as a cot) and baby will sleep in it straightaway. I asked mothers and they said babies outgrow moses baskets very quickly and we want baby in our room for six months so we just ordered a crib that fits in our bedroom. During the day planning for her to nap in the play yard bassinet.

TheOriginalWinkly Sun 02-Aug-15 14:04:11

Mine slept in the pram carrycot day and night (we bought the Uppababy Vista, the carrycot is rated for overnights). We then hired a bedside crib as she was too long for the carrycot by 4 months and I wanted to keep her in with us for the recommended 6 months.

eurochick Sun 02-Aug-15 14:04:51

We didn't bother with a Moses basket. Our baby slept in the carrycot in the living room during the day (be aware that some say they are not for regular sleeping - it's something to do with ventilation. We found one that was fine (ours is the carrycot for the Uppababy Cruz).

We had a rented cosleeper cot in our room for nights. The room wasn't big enough to take a full size cot.

leadcrow Sun 02-Aug-15 14:04:52

Pushchairs that come with a carrycot usually say on them whether or not they're suitable for overnight sleeping. I'm not getting a Moses basket, have planned that I'll get a bedside cot for nighttime sleeping and for daytime sleeping baby ca just go in the carrycot that comes with the pushchair smile

thunderbird69 Sun 02-Aug-15 14:11:48

Our 2 slept in a cot in their own room from day one.
Always thought Moses baskets were a waste

QuietIsland Sun 02-Aug-15 14:11:51

I felt the same way about moses baskets (not worth it for a short time) and so we only bought a cot.
After night one at home my little ds was curled in a ball at the end of the massive cot trying to get cosy. My MIL made a mercy dash to a shop and bought a Moses basket and he seemed much happier to be in a more enclosed space. But every baby is different....

Athenaviolet Sun 02-Aug-15 14:17:42

I've had 3.

Ended up being given Moses baskets each time but I wouldn't have bought one.

Imo it's best to get the baby used to their cot from day one.

Get a cot not a cot bed and make sure it has different heights and has a drop side.

HelenF35 Sun 02-Aug-15 14:26:44

We bought a crib rather than a Moses basket, thinking it was better value as it would last longer. Little menace won't sleep in it! grin We ended up getting a Moses basket and stand from DPs brother and just getting a new mattress. The Moses basket is really handy as you can transport a sleeping baby upstairs in it.

Doublebubblebubble Sun 02-Aug-15 15:41:53

I had a Moses basket for my DD (now 5 1/2) and we had a rocking stand for it. I bought the cotbed when she was about 3 months-ish really cant remember as it was so long ago and put the Moses basket in to it (the cot) until she was about 5 months.. She then went in the cot. They honestly look soooooo tiny (and cute) when they're in a cot as new newborns xx id recommend having a Moses basket though just in case xx good luck xx

scarednoob Sun 02-Aug-15 15:46:02

Me too, total confusion! In the end we are going for a Moses basket simply due to space in our bedroom. If she hates it, we will rethink. Other than that, cot in her own room from 6 months or as long as she can stay in the Moses basket.

BeautifulBatman Sun 02-Aug-15 15:48:10

I'm doing sleepyhead in the cot at night and sleepyhead on the sofa/floor/table/wherever I am during the day. Yes, I will be in the baby's room at night with the baby.

IlonaRN Sun 02-Aug-15 17:54:04

We're very lucky and have been given both a Moses basket and a crib, so will see which the baby likes best, or maybe use one upstairs and one downstairs.
I probably wouldn't have bought a Moses basket if we hadn't been given one.

blowinahoolie Sun 02-Aug-15 18:57:51

Never bothered with a moses basket, seems an utter waste of money.

Mine have just slept in their cot in our bedroom from the start.

Redtowel Sun 02-Aug-15 19:04:53

Our baby was tiny and fitted in the Moses basket until she was past 6 months!

Fluffy24 Sun 02-Aug-15 19:07:19

I couldn't understand the point of a Moses basket, DS went upstairs to his cot for naps.

trilbydoll Sun 02-Aug-15 19:14:38

Moses baskets have quite high sides too, so they can't see out, both dc have cried in it here.

We have cot bed next to our bed with one side off, so effectively a cosleeper cot. Sleepyhead in the cot bed. Is working quite well so far. Sleepyhead cost more than the Moses basket did though!

AngelBlue12 Sun 02-Aug-15 19:18:12

For all ours we've had a crib in our room until they're 6/7 months and then in the cot in the playroom until they are sleeping through properly and then in with the others.

Bohemond Sun 02-Aug-15 19:19:11

Ditto with batman. One full size cot and sleepyhead insert. Cot is now in DS room and sleepyhead will go on eBay. We also didn't get the carrycot add on for our oyster 2 as the seat goes nearly flat anyway.

ijustwannadance Sun 02-Aug-15 19:27:06

Old fashioned and pointless. Pram carrycot for day, cot at night

Rosenwyn1985 Mon 03-Aug-15 11:43:22

I think it depends on baby. Our little one really liked being enclosed and loved the Moses basket. Once he started moving about, at around the time he got too big for it, we moved him into the cot and that worked well. I wouldn't say they were a waste of money as ours got plenty of use for the first few months and we got it half price on sale. Now readying it for baby number two. Even if this baby hates it I would say we had our money's worth. Also we have a travel system which is pretty big so with a small lounge the Moses basket is great if I wanted baby to nap in with us. Each to their own really!

BeautifulBatman Mon 03-Aug-15 11:53:21

Trilby sleepyhead can last up to 8 months - I very much doubt any child of mine (both dh and I are over 6ft) will get that much use out of a moses basket. They are also useful for sitting/tummy time aids and get a good resale value on ebay.

BeautifulBatman Mon 03-Aug-15 11:54:39

It also offers some security in the cot. I want baby in the cot from the start at night.

OhGood Mon 03-Aug-15 11:57:19

Moses basket for me, so I could carry them around in the day and because our bedroom was quite small - but a pram carrycot thing would have done as well I guess?

In retrospect I would have liked one of those things where they sort of sleep joined on to your bed.

blowinahoolie Mon 03-Aug-15 20:07:52

A moses basket would have been pointless for my two as they were big babies and wouldn't have got the use out of them, so buying the cot was the way forward. Each child got 2-3 years out of the cot. Would have been lucky to get 2-3 weeks use out of a moses basket....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now