Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Depression.

(4 Posts)
sjd114 Sun 02-Aug-15 12:49:52

Hi all.

Just after a little advice please!
I've suffered with depression for on and off about 6 years. And I recently left my job because of it ( was a pretty stressful job) & I'm just wondering if it's something I'll need to tell the midwife? I'm just really worried they'll think I'm unfit to be a mother etc. sad

leadcrow Sun 02-Aug-15 16:02:44

No they won't think that, the only reason they ask is because you're at an increased risk of postnatal depression and they want to make sure they are aware and can support you if necessary smile

Gingernut81 Sun 02-Aug-15 19:21:04

I was honest with my midwife from the start, it's on all my records anyway, although I was nervous about it for the same reasons you are. Anyway I was referred to a mental health midwife who was lovely. As it happens I've only seen her once but she was very supportive. I would tell your midwife just so there's a support network in place if you need it during or after pregnancy x

LumpyCustard69 Sun 02-Aug-15 22:13:35

Definitely tell your midwife, and keep your gp in the loop too. Between my midwife and my gp they have made sure I am looked after. I was on Fluoxetine before falling pregnant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now