Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cough for 3 weeks now...c section imminent

(16 Posts)
Kaz1904 Sun 02-Aug-15 07:19:59

Hi there,

I'm 37 weeks pregnant and scheduled to have an elective c-section in a fortnight as my baby is breech. I'm still praying baby turns before then!

Problem is I've had an irritating cough now for around 3 weeks. I have tried simple linctus and sucking glycerin pastilles but get no respite. I am really worried that this will cause me problems with my wound after the section...or even during the operation confused

Has anyone had any experience of this and have any advice on shifting said cough? I hope it's gone by the time my section is due!

Thank you in advance! grin

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sun 02-Aug-15 07:58:37

Have you seen the doctor? Mine was a lung infection and it wasn't fun coughing after an emcs! I'd get it checked out, 3 weeks iß a long time and infections can be dangerous in pregnancy

westcountrywoman Sun 02-Aug-15 08:34:06

Go and see a Dr. It may be an infection that needs treating, or an allergy / hayfever that could also be treated.

Have you had the pregnancy whooping cough vaccine? If not, I don't mean to scare you but a colleague had an ongoing cough in late pregnancy. It didn't make her terrifically ill, but was persistent for a month or so. GP dismissed it as 'a virus'. Turns out she had whooping cough. She'd been vaccinated as a child so it was quite mild and she DIDN'T have the characteristic 'whoop' with her cough. Unfortunately as it wasn't treated, she still had it when her daughter was born and the baby caught it when she was just 2 weeks old and ended up very poorly. Luckily the story ended well but it was a very scary time for them.

PetShopGirl Sun 02-Aug-15 08:36:56

OP, you have my sympathies. I had a horrible cough that went on for weeks before DS2 was born. I had it checked out but apparently it was a lot to do with my lungs being a bit squished and therefore irritated by the baby. I was also booked in for an ELCS and really worried about coughing during both the op and the recovery.

I got admitted to hospital a week or so beforehand for BP issues and was able to ask a consultant about it. She was really reassuring and said that it was very likely that the spinal would help suppress the cough reflex, but if not then the surgical team would be able to manage with me coughing. She pointed out that people are often sick whilst undergoing a CS and they work around it.

In the event I didn't cough at all during the op. I don't know if it was the spinal, or maybe that combined with a bit of adrenaline made me 'forget' to cough, but whatever I only really realised afterwards that I hadn't.

I remember coughing a little bit in the immediate aftermath, but it really wasn't that bad, and I reckon within a few hours the cough had pretty much gone.

Good luck, and in the meantime I would recommend hot ribena as being the only thing that (sort of) helped me in the lead up.

PetShopGirl Sun 02-Aug-15 08:44:16

I would add that it did have its advantages as I was given a private room on the antenatal ward as, officially, the midwives felt sorry for me, but actually I reckon it was because I was driving everyone crazy with my constant hacking grin

PetShopGirl Sun 02-Aug-15 08:46:56

I also agree with others that if you haven't already, you should go to the GP just to make sure there is no infection.

Kaz1904 Sun 02-Aug-15 16:57:19

Thank you everyone for your responses. I spoke to my midwife about it and she told me to go to pharmacist. They just gave me simple linctus that has done nothing. I have a doctors appt this week so hopefully he will be more help! Oh and yeah, I've had the whooping cough vaccine. I shall let you know what the doctor says!smile

Kaz1904 Sun 02-Aug-15 17:34:18

I meant to say that pharmacist thought the cough is caused by the bad heartburn I have been experiencing confused

westcountrywoman Sun 02-Aug-15 21:15:56

Yes, the cough could be related to reflux / heartburn. Have you tried anything for that? Dr could prescribe ranitidine so talk to him / her.

Kaz1904 Sun 02-Aug-15 21:50:22

Just been taking Gaviscon and Rennies. They do help the heartburn...but not the cough sadly hmm

Ranitidine was great for my pregnancy reflux. I also loved my elective section.

Kaz1904 Mon 03-Aug-15 08:16:33

Thank you. I've been so worried about the section, but even more worried incase I go into labour before section day as baby is breech. Keep your fingers crossed for me!smile

I'll cross my fingers for you Kaz . I chose an elective section after a traumatic first birth with third degree tear- plus I was having twins next time.
I wandered up to the corner shop with my then 18 month old DD at 11am, went into hospital just after 12 and had my babies at 2pm. It was very calm and relaxed and I was very lucky with quick healing. I was driving by day 15 and taking no painkillers by day 10 (less time than after my first delivery!). so it needn't be too bad- emcs is much harder I think. I had one problem which was initially taking the painkillers on an empty stomach as the mws brought them round at odd times. I got some tummy pain and nausea from this and was sick on day 6 after the section- that did hurt but I'd still have another section if I had another baby

I hope the cough is ok too.

Kaz1904 Tue 04-Aug-15 17:38:53

Thank you so much for your response, def puts me at ease hearing stories like yours. Think it's just scary when they tell you all the risks before hand! I know it prob sounds silly, but I am absolutely dreading having a drip in my hand the most. It's been a fear of mine since I was a teenager. Even the thought of it being there makes me feel faint! Just going to have to get by that hurdle and get on with it!

Well I have doctors tomorrow about cough. Section is booked for 2 weeks today so hopefully will be able to shift cough by then! ��

Kaz1904 Wed 05-Aug-15 22:58:01

Saw doctor today and I've a weeks course of antibiotics to take, that should do the trick! Thanks everyone smile

Hope they shift it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now