Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Feeling really bad as can't take pregnacare tablets anymore

(27 Posts)
Newtobecomingamum Sat 01-Aug-15 22:39:03

I'm 18w and still feeling really sick and being sick 2-4 times a day. I took pregnacare tablets and managed to keep most down up to 12 weeks but MW says I should still be taking them. The thing is the thought of taking pills makes me feel sick and I've managed to take a few when I can. Does everyone else take them throughout as I am feeling so bad against the baby by not giving them the folic acid etc in the pills. On the days I can't take them is it a big deal?

StealthPolarBear Sat 01-Aug-15 22:43:14

I was under the impression the first trimester was crucial and after that is less so. I carried on taking them because I could and because I'd bought them.
I hope you start feeling better soon

pinktrufflechoc Sat 01-Aug-15 22:44:46

They made me sick as well but smaller capsules didn't - would this be an option for you? Or liquid? It is important to take your folic acid but I sympathise as they made me so ill flowers

PinPon Sat 01-Aug-15 22:45:12

See whether you can get some chewable ones - much more palatable.

WiIdfire Sat 01-Aug-15 22:46:28

You can even get muesli or cereal bars with the vitamins in - look up Nutrimum.

Karelia81 Sat 01-Aug-15 22:46:43

I didn't take pregnacare at all - just folic acid to 12 weeks and vitamin D, which is recommended all the way. You can stop the folic acid at 12 weeks and just take Vit D if that helps? Can't be much fun being so sick though.

GetTheFudgeOutOfRodge Sat 01-Aug-15 22:47:38

I'm not a health care professional, but from 6 weeks through to birth I suffered with morning and couldn't take the pills anymore. DD is 19mo now and seems perfectly fine smile
Just try to eat and drink as healthily as possible and congratulations.

Etak15 Sat 01-Aug-15 22:47:56

Before they used to advise about pregnacare and it was just folic acid you were only meant to take it in the first 12 wks anyway, but now they advise the pregnacare i think they advise it because of the all round benefits of it as a multivitamin during and after pregnancy. It won't do you or the baby any harm not to take it but would be beneficial for you to take it if you can, have you tried a different brand I took sanategon pregnancy vitamins at first then I changed to pregnacare after a few months (because they were on offer!) and they gave me the runs! So maybe you might be able to tolerate a different brand better?

bestguess23 Sat 01-Aug-15 22:51:34

My MW said to drop folic acid at 12 weeks but to try really hard to take vit D all the way through. I have HG do can empathise entirely. Pregnacare are really hard to take when you are feeling sick and they made me feel worse.

Karelia81 Sat 01-Aug-15 22:52:33

No-one has advised me to take anything other than folic acid and Vit D, I guess different midwives do things differently. They just ask at appointments if I'm taking the vitamin D and are happy with that. Currently 20 weeks.

theendoftheendoftheend Sat 01-Aug-15 22:55:49

I couldn't keep them down for the first 2 trimesters so its only now in my third I'm using the packs up and I have to take them in the evening to avoid throwing up!

NothingUpMySleeve Sat 01-Aug-15 22:58:00

Pregnacare are huge, I struggled to swallow them without being sick and pretty much gave up after 12 weeks. I think if you have a healthy diet (easier said than done when you're being sick all the time) then the same applies as when you're not pregnant, taking vitamins just gives you slightly more expensive urine.

Anecdotes are not data, but both my DSs are fine, despite my failures on the multivitamin front.

Newtobecomingamum Sat 01-Aug-15 22:59:33

Thanks everyone! Going to look into your suggestions many thanks x

ChablisTyrant Sat 01-Aug-15 23:01:44

My GP just said eat breakfast cereal that is fortified with vitamins. Munch it dry if it makes you sick.

applecore0317 Sat 01-Aug-15 23:07:23

I didn't have sickness as an excuse, I was useless at remembering to take them... I took sanatogen mum to be as pregnacare made me sick. Probably took them three times a week, have a very lovely nine week old sat in front of me smile

Athenaviolet Sat 01-Aug-15 23:12:54

Try different brands or just the single folic acid/vit d ones.

I'd want some iron & calcium too though.

loolah83 Sun 02-Aug-15 07:33:38

I stopped taking them and started eating a big bowl of bran flakes every morning...cereals are fortified with lots of vitamins, much easier to stomach!

FlumptyDumpty Sun 02-Aug-15 07:45:10

I don't know what your budget is, but if you can stretch to them, the Zita West tablets are much more palatable and smaller than Pregnacare. You do need to take three a day though. A further bonus is they don't cause constipation like Pregnacare wink

Cornberry Sun 02-Aug-15 08:30:32

I switched to centrum and sanatogen. Much easier to digest

SweetCharityBeginsAtHome Sun 02-Aug-15 08:37:52

You may be able to get vitamin D in a spray. And try your best to get a decent amount of iron in your diet - wash food containing iron down with orange juice to aid absorption.

diploddycus Sun 02-Aug-15 08:47:09

I got healthy start multivitamins from my midwife at the start then bought more at the chemist, they're about £1.50 for 60. They are tiny and really easy to take. Strange your midwife is recommending a specific (expensive) brand.

Pregnacare are huge and smell disgusting,they make a lot of people feel sick.

Mummymidwife87 Sun 02-Aug-15 09:44:36

Folic acid and vitamin d is advised up to 12weeks, after that vitamin d only, ensuring you eat a healthy diet. Anything after that is advised as appropriate like iron, folate etc.

I took folic acid and vit d as above. I did have to start iron 3 times a day and folate as my iron level was about 8g/dl followed by an iron infusion at 36weeks.

Doublebubblebubble Sun 02-Aug-15 15:00:01

I've had hg every pregnancy including current- joy and I was told when hooked up to a drip by my consultant (because I was incredibly worried about spina bifida etc) that as long as you're trying to eat foods rich in vitamins baby should be fine. I physically couldn't take ANYTHING until I was 18 weeks (and I have tried to catch up) and my baby boy is perfectly healthy (currently 31 weeks) I know people will probably have a go but people in the olden days never had all these things, and yes some children were born with difficulties but a lot more weren't. I wouldn't be too stressed about it x.

mrswishywashy Sun 02-Aug-15 15:51:47

My midwife said I didn't need to take a pregnancy vitamin. Just folic acid for first 12 weeks and vitamin d for whole pregnancy plus breastfeeding. I'm 26 weeks and take folate, vitamin d and vegetarian omega 3. I also eat a balanced diet.

leadcrow Sun 02-Aug-15 15:54:43

If you eat a healthy balanced diet you should be getting all the nutrients you need...pregnancy vitamins are super expensive I imagine many people on lower incomes don't take them simply because of the extortionate price! If they're so important like your midwife says why don't we all get given them on prescription?

(Just FYI I have crowns disease and have to take supplements, healthy people don't need vitamins, NHS dieticians agree that vitamin tablets are unnecessary in a healthy person who eats a normal balanced diet)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now