Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cannot find anything I can stomach to drink!

(31 Posts)
SweetCharlotteRose Sat 01-Aug-15 07:59:14

I'm 13 weeks and have been rather sick since about 6 weeks. Some days I'm only sick two or three times, others it's more than eight. I was hospitalised in my last pregnancy.
I'm managing to eat a little bit but I'm really really struggling with fluids. Most things make me instantly sick. I've been sucking ice cubes and can tolerate very tiny sips of ice cold water but that's about it. I'm also diabetic - type 1. We go abroad next week and it's going to be very hot and I'm concerned that I might get dehydrated, I'm probably dehydrated now to be honest.

Has anyone found the same? I've tried ice lollies too. Drinks wise I've tried sparkling water, milk, lemonade, flat lemonade, squash, orange juice (but too sweet really) - any other ideas?!

andadietcoke Sat 01-Aug-15 08:04:12

I threw up water throughout my pregnancy but found I could cope with peach squash. I know you said you'd tried squash though. I had to experiment with a few flavours though!

addictedtosugar Sat 01-Aug-15 08:05:32

Cucumber, watermelon and other foods that are mostly water?

Drinking through a straw?

Hope you start feeling better soon.

SweetCharlotteRose Sat 01-Aug-15 08:06:27

Maybe I will have to try more flavours! I've tried peach, orange, summer fruits and raspberry and orange.
I've got a horrible taste in my mouth all the time and it makes everything taste weird.

SweetCharlotteRose Sat 01-Aug-15 08:07:28

The worst thing is I feel thirsty but then drink and either retch and retch or an actually sick. Yet I can eat in small quantities. Strange.

Will try a straw!

Bin85 Sat 01-Aug-15 08:11:38

Try Tonic water

sizethree Sat 01-Aug-15 08:13:49

I was a bit fan of elderflower cordial. Really gentle on the tummy and not too sweet. Bottle Green make a good one. Also strangely enough tonic water really worked for me. It's got quinine in it, so helps settle tummy.

QueenOfThorns Sat 01-Aug-15 08:15:04

Ginger ale is usually a popular suggestion, although it didn't work for me. Perhaps worth a try, though?

QueenOfThorns Sat 01-Aug-15 08:15:43

Or cold mint tea?

Janek Sat 01-Aug-15 08:18:30

I was going to suggest elderflower cordial too, or that really sweet ginger beer (jamaican something?), but don't know how that would be if you're diabetic.

EugenesAxe Sat 01-Aug-15 08:26:29

I was thinking teas too - the classic anti emetic of ginger (Twinings ginger and lemon?) or maybe fennel - that's supposed to settle stomachs.

I think I got on OK with Rooiboos but not one I had flavoured with vanilla; plain.

docmcstuffins1 Sat 01-Aug-15 08:28:55

My friend had HG and the only thing she could stomach was coca cola.

ScreamingNotWaving Sat 01-Aug-15 08:30:00

Ginger cordial (Belvoir, I think) is lovely and you can drink it hot or cold. Did wonders for me.

frangipani13 Sat 01-Aug-15 08:30:41

Could you make up a batch of a fruit tea in a jug or flask and have cold? I have gestational diabetes and all non sugar free drinks are out for me. Sugar free vimto?

HeyMicky Sat 01-Aug-15 08:32:59

Tesco have just released some French-style "sirops" which you use like squash. A weak version of the grenadine one made with fizzy water is lovely - sweet, but sharp enough to cut through a gluggy mouth

Notapinkgirl Sat 01-Aug-15 09:26:23

Ginger squash seems to work well for me

Pixi2 Sat 01-Aug-15 09:28:25

It won't work for you but the only thing I could keep down for five months in both pregnancies was small sips of diet coke.

AdorabeezleWinterpop Sat 01-Aug-15 09:30:58

The only thing I can face is elderflower cordial.

goodasitgets Sat 01-Aug-15 09:31:31

In summer I like orange juice but diluted 50/50 or more with ice cold water and ice cubes. Less sweet

SweetCharlotteRose Sat 01-Aug-15 09:44:12

I think elderflower might be quite sweet but maybe I could dilute it down.
Coke makes me instantly sick.
I really really want orange juice but it's just too sweet and makes my sugars rise. Orange squash isn't the same.

FranBrodie Sat 01-Aug-15 09:54:01

It makes no sense but I was ok with orange CapriSun.

magicpuppy Sat 01-Aug-15 09:56:24

I had hyperemesis and was hospitalised several times in my first pregnancy.

I had it the second time too but I discovered that I could tolerate flavoured Ice Tea and it helped keep me hydrated enough to stay out of hospital.

I remember that awful taste thing - nothing tasted good.

Impatientwino Sat 01-Aug-15 09:57:50

What about watering down the Orange juice so it's not so thick/sweet?

Justyouwaitandsee Sat 01-Aug-15 09:58:22

I drank cartons of strawberry ribena and sugar free lime cordial and soda water...

BikeRunSki Sat 01-Aug-15 09:58:28

I could only manage grapefruit juice mixed with fizzy water. Or really cheap, slightly bitter UHT orange juice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now