Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone found a solution for night time hip pain?

(19 Posts)
u32ng Fri 31-Jul-15 21:58:59

Ugh. I had this the last time around too but forgot how sleep-disturbing it is! I'm having to flip like a pancake from one side to the other all night as I'm waking up and finding my hip has gone to sleep or is very sore.

At the mo I'm sleeping with a pillow from my knees to ankles but it's not making a huge difference I don't think. Just makes me irritated when I'm trying to turn over with a pillow between my knees!!shock

Anyone found a solution to this type of hip pain? Please share!

seriouslynonames Fri 31-Jul-15 22:05:54

I have exactly the same problem. I now have two pillows between my legs, and a folded up spare duvet on top of my mattress. these help a little so I'm turning over less often, but it hasn't got rid of the pain completely...

hope someone else has found a solution that I can copy too!

hope you get some sleep tonight..
xx

Ymamiss Fri 31-Jul-15 22:39:12

I'm exactly the same! And if I roll over to the other hip to give the other some relief, then I find that by the time I need to switch again both hips are agony! I'm also waking with numb arms and major dribbling... The joys!

soloula Fri 31-Jul-15 22:48:36

I had this with DD and a bit again in this pregnancy but nowhere near as bad as before so the pillow between the legs seems to be doing the trick this time round. Last time physio advised a mattess topper but I wasnt wanting to spend too much so I got DH to double over an old duvet under the fitted sheet on my side of the bed. It made a big difference taking some of the pressure off my hips. Warm baths before bed helped too.

sophiaslullaby Fri 31-Jul-15 23:04:37

Touch wood my hips have been ok providing i use a pullow between the knees. But my shoulder are suffering so keep turning for same reason you all are. I've borrowed my sisters huge sheep skin and put it under the sheet. That has helped -same being as if used a doubled over duvet to lie on as previously mentioned.

sophiaslullaby Fri 31-Jul-15 23:06:13

*Pillow rather. Although i'll try a pullow if that helps too smile

Chchchchanging Fri 31-Jul-15 23:07:00

Pillow between knees- I have a dream genies - in the Mornings if I haven't had it between knees hips and backs sore, add pillow and instant improvement

GoooRooo Sat 01-Aug-15 08:10:07

I had this in my last pregnancy. The only thing that worked was folding up a duvet length ways and laying on that. It also had the added bonus of saving my mattress when my waters broke. Duvet was then binned.

creamoftomato Sat 01-Aug-15 08:14:56

Agree duvet under your sheet and pillow between your knees. Other than that only really giving birth. Humph.

cathpip Sat 01-Aug-15 13:45:28

Sleeping on the sofa in an upright position helps a lot smile

BlueBirdBlue Sat 01-Aug-15 14:40:51

Use a tennis ball to massage your hip and bum muscles before you go to bed. You put the ball underneath you on the floor and roll it to where it hurts. It is painful but should release some of the tightness. Good luck!

sjd114 Sun 02-Aug-15 12:04:51

Is it the crampy type pain? If so, my friend SWEARS by drinking tonic water.. It helped her massively apparently! Everyone is different! X

u32ng Thu 06-Aug-15 21:35:13

Oh nosad the mattress topper isn't working for me. Happened to be away recently and slept on one for about 4 nights and it didn't really help.

Hate tonic water but will give it a go likewise the tennis ball thing. So fed up of crap sleep!! (But also trying not to complain too much as really it's a blessing being pregnant)

Mulligrubs Thu 06-Aug-15 21:39:06

Pillow between the knees and also one under bump so it isn't actually touching the bed, just the pillow. It sort of means you lie more forward so you're almost on your belly but it is supported by the pillow, if that makes sense? Takes the pressure off my hips and does the job for me.

u32ng Wed 12-Aug-15 22:00:06

Hello! Seems my full body pillow is helping. I'm still waking up with a little bit of sore hips and needing to turn over, but I'm not getting the same "ouch!" pain that I was which is good. Hopefully it continues!

Bewarethequietboy Wed 12-Aug-15 22:18:04

I tried putting a not very inflated thermarest (camping mattress)under the sheet last time which seems to help a bit, probably quite similar to the folded duvet or sheepskin

babybear9 Thu 13-Aug-15 14:55:23

i've actually slept in the spare room on an airbed recently which feels a bit more comfy. Maybe its just supporting in different places. Not great for getting up from a million times a night to go wee though!! Have physio once a week which really helps too so if you can get referred by your doctor would definitely recommend giving it a go

nutelladipper Thu 13-Aug-15 18:07:03

I've had this every pregnancy except this one, the only difference is we've had a new bed! shock

WombOfOnesOwn Thu 13-Aug-15 18:14:20

Eep! I don't know how to help this kind of pain but I hope someone else does! We have a brand-new and rather expensive mattress, but as soon as I hit 10 weeks I was, as was said above, flipping like a pancake all night!

The only thing I found that helps so far is using naproxen about one night in two or three--there are no teratogenic effects of NSAIDs and no contraindication until 32 weeks, so mostly I'm dreading what happens after I get to that point...I expect to be short of breath, in massive hip pain, and crying from lack of sleep! A friend of mine who recently had her first baby says she gets more sleep now that she's had her than she ever did during pregnancy, with all its discomforts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now