Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is a recent colposcopy the reason for my pain?

(11 Posts)
Kerrymarie90 Thu 30-Jul-15 17:31:00

I had a colposcopy then the laser treatment back in December just gone. I'm now 16 weeks pregnant with my first (after being told I wouldn't have kids) and am experiencing the same kind of pain in the cervix area as I did after the laser treatment. Has anyone else had this, is it normal? Don't know whether to be concerned or not.
Thanks

plonkie Sat 01-Aug-15 15:46:16

Congratulations! :-). It is normal for your cervix to ache and feel weird during pregnancy. I had the same procedure done and have felt the odd twinge in my cervix which was similar as well. Now 31+4 and all good. However, do get it checked because cervix pain can sometimes be an indicator of an issue with the cervix, unlikely but worth ruling out! It's ace that you're pregnant when they said you wouldn't have kids by the way :-).

happygojo Sat 01-Aug-15 16:34:10

Hiya, I had lletz for CIN3 years ago, I am now 38 weeks preg. Do you know how much of your cervix was removed? Anyway I had cervical length scan at 20 and 24 weeks, all was fine with me but its best to get checked I think.

You do get all sorts of twinges etc during pregnancy so I am sure it is fine

plonkie Sat 01-Aug-15 17:33:29

Hi happygojo, was the checking of your cervix length standard practice becauae of the lletz? I only ask because they haven't examined me at all and I had the lletz done a year prior to becoming pregnant. Just wondering if I should suggest it!

happygojo Sat 01-Aug-15 17:40:54

My MW referred me to a consultant as standard who referred me for a scan, however my friend who had lletz for CIN2 twice wasn't referred at all (she was induced at 38 weeks due to her BP, so unrelated to her cervix). Did you tell your MW at your booking appointment about your lletz? Some aren't worried and others are.... Seems a bit random to be honest.

plonkie Sat 01-Aug-15 17:51:00

Yeah my midwife is aware of it. It might just not be something that they do in my area I guess! I'm not going to worry though as all seems ok with the baby. Just always weird how stuff differs from one place to the next!

applecore0317 Sat 01-Aug-15 23:21:47

I had CIN2 and was referred to a consultant for something else, When thete I mentioned some spotting I had and the lletz and he then sent me an appointment for an internal scan at 21 weeks to check my cervix.

I think every area is different, for me it was good that they kept an eye on me as my cervix was weak, but others have been fine as per other posters. I didn't feel any post lletz type discomfort. I went to full term in the end :D

Kerrymarie90 Sun 02-Aug-15 13:23:33

I've mentioned to my midwife about the colposcopy but because I didn't know what the treatment was called I didn't mention it. I'm seeing her next in 9 weeks, is that too long to wait to mention it?

happygojo Sun 02-Aug-15 20:03:41

Hi kerrie I would text/call your MW if you have her number or ask your GP. Was is CIN 2 or 3 or beyond? I take it you didn't have a 6 month follow up due to being preg? It might just be worth getting in touch with her to see if you need a cervix scan at your 20 week scan. It literally takes 5 mins (internal scan) after your 20 week scan has been done.

happygojo Sun 02-Aug-15 20:09:06

I have just had a read of the NHS website. Lletz is where they basically use a Hotwire to remove parts of the cervix that has abnormal cells. But you can also have laser treatment which is different and I don't know anything about. It may be less invasive and therefore less likely to thin your cervix. It may be worth seeing your GP and asking to have your notes explained to you so you can work out exactly what you had done and how it may or may not affect your pregnancy xxx

Kerrymarie90 Tue 04-Aug-15 17:24:17

Thanks for your help smile xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now