Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What are you missing today?

(43 Posts)
babybat Thu 30-Jul-15 14:00:01

Today I'm having a bit of a sulk because there's a farmer's market next to my office, and I'd really like one of the pots of strawberries and cream. Only I can't have them, because they're covered in thick, delicious, organic unpasteurised raw milk cream. I know it's not for long, but somehow they're calling to me.

Last week I had to leave the room as DH tucked into a baguette covered in pate. I didn't even eat pate that often, but the fact that I can't have it makes me want it more.

So, what delicious forbidden foods are you missing today?

bunny85 Thu 30-Jul-15 14:51:50

Ohhhh don't even get me started on this. First and foremost, strong, black coffee in large quantities. And then, I've got GD so the list goes on: ice cream, cookies, chocolate, honey, tiramisu(!!!), pink champagne, also pasta, rice, kilos of potatoes, what else?.. Oh yes, watermelon, bananas, fresh fruit juices and smoothies... Omg I'm about to cry. sad

contractor6 Thu 30-Jul-15 14:55:56

Sushi, the saltiness has me salivating....

Cheshirehello79 Thu 30-Jul-15 15:01:14

Diet coke .....

Junosmum Thu 30-Jul-15 15:19:03

I want pate. I considered making my own to get past the listeria issue, then remembered I can't have liver anyway sad

Contractor 6 - read the guidelines sushi is fine if it's been frozen first, which yo sushi and my local sushi house do! It's my little pleasure!

I'm also having a very occasional diet coke. I've not had much caffeine at all though so I justify it every few weeks!

loismustdieatyahoodotcom Thu 30-Jul-15 15:23:06

I miss soft cheeses, although a can of diet coke only has 2mcg of caffeine in and you can have up to 200 per day. I know carbonated drinks aren't good but I miss diet coke, Dr pepper zero

loismustdieatyahoodotcom Thu 30-Jul-15 15:23:21

26mg I mean

DoctorDonnaNoble Thu 30-Jul-15 15:33:53

I'm on holiday with DH. He has brought lots of ale. I miss ale :-(

LilacWine7 Thu 30-Jul-15 15:37:45

I'm missing crispy baby-squid, fried in butter. And strong rich coffee to pick me up around this time of day! And being able to have a big glass of wine!

I'm 33weeks so not long to go. I've had HG the whole pregnancy, still suffering with it, so there are loads of things I miss, like being able to jump on a bus and go out for the day, or going on holiday. I'm really looking forward to autumn with a newborn and no longer feeling like a prisoner in my house! Thanks to HG and now SPD, I can't walk far or manage long outings, and many trips out of the house are cut short when I start feeling sick.
I just cheered myself up by ordering 2 pairs of comfortable boots! I have day-dreams of crunching through miles of crispy autumn leaves in them, pushing baby in his new pram smile

LilyRose16 Thu 30-Jul-15 15:38:29

I dont see anything wrong with the occasional diet coke, the allowance is 200mg per day so i dont see the harm. Im off tea and coffee so the odd coke wont hurt smile

Im missing brie and camembert, went out for a meal last week and both of these were on the menu! Been on my mind since!

Also missing eating normal food, when i do feel like eating at the moment its usually not the healthiest of options!

Poppytime Thu 30-Jul-15 15:51:16

I miss soft blue cheese, sushi and lovely lovely WINE!

Why can't you have crispy baby-squid Lilac? I have this about once a week!

ARV1981 Thu 30-Jul-15 16:01:04

Nice cheese - I'm bored of boring old cheddar
Rare steak
Coffee
Wine

Siesta Thu 30-Jul-15 16:02:22

Blue cheese, Brie, rare steak and something alcoholic!

Purpleball Thu 30-Jul-15 16:12:04

I'm still having the odd diet coke, 2 cups or normal tea a day but really missing proper coffee with caffeine in.

I've still had squid and shellfish but only in reputable restaurants. Midwife told me raw steak is fine as long as it's sealed so I've eaten it. She also said runny eggs are fine as long as lion stamped.

So I'm not eating some cheeses or pate. I do miss red wine, I've had an odd small glass but very rarely

Poppytime Thu 30-Jul-15 16:14:45

I am SO bored of cheddar ARV - do you like stilton? We can have that according to NHS latest guidelines, it's the only thing keeping me going...

oh GOD I miss wine. I cannot wait to have more than a small sip of DH's....

ARV1981 Thu 30-Jul-15 16:23:16

I love stilton and have been eating that too, but I'm really a soft cheese kinda girl...missing my brie, camembert, cambazola, chevre...

TBH it's cheese that I'm missing the most.

ARV1981 Thu 30-Jul-15 16:26:51

I used to say I'd rather give up chocolate than cheese... this baby better be worth it grin*

*I know it will be, don't worry I'm not a heartless mother!

Littlemissjt Thu 30-Jul-15 16:37:13

Wine and haggis for me. Definitely having haggis for dinner when i get out of hospital. 39w+3 here so hopefully soon!

stupidgirl45 Thu 30-Jul-15 16:43:19

Brie sob

And a glass of wine

And cake - as it makes me feel so sick sad

Brummiegirl15 Thu 30-Jul-15 16:47:57

I'm drinking diet coke. No more than 1 can per day. The limit is 200mg per day and 1 x can has. 34 mg in.

But I don't drink tea or coffee so that is my caffeine intake.

I'm missing booze though. Got a friends birthday dinner on Saturday and everyone will be on champers and cocktails. So envious

Oh and runny eggs. Big time

BlueKarou Thu 30-Jul-15 17:00:07

Oh gawd; I've just read this after having a lunch of brie and cranberry sandwich. I thought it was ok because the brie was made with pasteurised milk and when I read the packaging there was nothing about pregnant women not eating it, but some closer inspection on the NHS foods to avoid page has revealed that I shouldn't eat it. Other countries allow it, so I'm assuming it's a low enough risk that different places have different tolerances.

Not going to buy any more.

I also had a med-rare steak the other weekend. I'm terrible at this! In my defence on that one I did some research and figured the risk for steaks was lower than for under cooked mince or burgers or other meats, and one properly seared steak would be ok.

I'm fine without wine or coffee or coke, that doesn't bother me at all.

OpposableThumbs1 Thu 30-Jul-15 17:30:57

Bake your Camembert and then scoop it up with lots of crusty bread. Listeria cannot survive half an hour at 200 degrees.

My favourite way of doing it is in a ceramic dish, large glug of olive oil, another of balsamic vinegar, handful of cherry tomatoes and a couple of cloves of garlic. It's bloody lovely. I had it for Christmas Day starter while pregnant with DD1.

GothicRainbow Thu 30-Jul-15 17:36:10

I'm soooo missing coffee, would have one massive really strong cup in the morning to kick start my day but at the moment I can't stand the taste.

Feel very lost in the mornings now without my hot drink of choice!

ARV1981 Thu 30-Jul-15 17:37:32

I'm off out to buy camembert.... that recipe sounds yum! Thank you grin

Junosmum Thu 30-Jul-15 18:01:58

I'm totally in favour of the baked Camembert. I love the stuff.

I ate a med-rare steak the other day. It was at a really expensive steak restaurant. We travelled all the way to Southampton, which took 7 hours for a friends 30th, and it turned out to be a steak restaurant. There was no way I was paying £30 for a steak for it to be over cooked! I've read conflicting info on steak too so I'm not too worried, won't be making it a regular thing though.

It is only for 9 months, well, 5.5 now! But it's like being on a diet, get told you can't have something and you instantly want it!

As for the crispy fried squid - why wouldn't you eat that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now