Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early scan

(9 Posts)
Cnmorgan13 Thu 30-Jul-15 13:38:42

I was wondering if any one has opted for an early scan? I'm going with the company babes in the womb. Just wanted to know what to expect etc

TitusAndromedon Thu 30-Jul-15 13:48:46

We scheduled a scan for nine and a half weeks, although I actually ended up being closer to ten. Due to problems in a previous pregnancy, I had already had a scan at the EPAU at six weeks, but I knew I wouldn't be able to cope with the stress of waiting another six weeks to check in on development.

The experience was lovely. I was on a very comfortable bed and she was able to do the scan externally, although they may have to do one internally if you're very early. She took a lot of time to point out our babies' sacs and their developing limbs. We were also able to hear their heartbeats. I was astonished by how much they had developed in just three weeks since I had last seen them, and we could even see their little profiles and see them wriggling around. We had four photos included in the price.

I'm not a person who will pay for 3D scans or sexing scans, as I'd rather save the money for things the babies need, but the peace of mind provided by the early scan was invaluable. The sonographer was also incredibly kind and reassuring, which I appreciated because I was quite panicky.

Cnmorgan13 Thu 30-Jul-15 14:10:54

Thanks for sharing. It's more for reassurance for me. This is my first pregnancy and I just want to know everything's ok

ExcitedA3 Thu 30-Jul-15 14:13:42

I had one at 8 weeks. We were going on holiday a week after and I wanted to know everything was ok before we went. It was lovely, very clean and although quick was everything we wanted. Got pictures too and got to hear the heartbeat x

Siesta Thu 30-Jul-15 15:09:22

I had a scan at 7 weeks and one at 9 because I was in the care of a private fertility clinic. Both scans were internal and I heard the heart beat. I found them really reassuring because I'd had some bleeding. I can't imagine having to wait till 12 weeks that must be really nerve wracking.

Choccyhobnob Thu 30-Jul-15 15:48:19

I had one at 8 weeks at Baby bond and it was lovely because they had a big flat screen tv at the end of the bed so you weren't craning your neck to look at the sonographers tiny screen. I only had one as I found out at 4 weeks and couldn't imagine waiting 2 months for the first scan!

LilyRose16 Thu 30-Jul-15 15:52:39

I had an early scan at 8 weeks (first pregnancy too) couldn't wait for 12 weeks. It was great, didnt expect to see so clearly, saw and heard the heartbeat. And it wasn't an internal.

Really good experience, totally worth the money if you just need the reassurance.

evilgiraffe Thu 30-Jul-15 16:38:41

I had an external one at 7+1 - IVF pregnancy so they wanted to be sure it wasn't ectopic and to find out if singleton or twins. Saw heartbeat, massively reassuring! I would do a private early scan for any future pregnancies too.

Cnmorgan13 Thu 30-Jul-15 18:16:48

Thanks so much for all your replies! I'm booked in for next week, they have a deal on so I get a photo frame, dvd lol happy days

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now