Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity bras

(11 Posts)
toohardtothinkofaname Wed 29-Jul-15 21:25:45

I'm finally swapping my underwire a for some maternity bras & wanted to know; can I use nursing bras as maternity bras to save buying 2 sets of different bras? Unsure as to whether there's any difference bar the ability to flap down the material to breastfeed.

Also, any recommendations for good bras? Figleaves is so expensive!

dragonflyinthelillies Wed 29-Jul-15 21:30:17

You'll almost definitely change shape/size when your milk comes in, so I would get separate nursing and maternity bras.

I think I've gone up 2 cup sizes and a band as well!

beehappybe Wed 29-Jul-15 21:34:45

hi, I think it depends on your size and shape. I can't buy bras from "normal shops" as I have very small frame and large cups so I shop at www.bravissimo.com/ they have a good choice and reasonable prices and their service is always very good but they only start from larger cups.
Most bras without wires (in my experience) just can't give the shape and support that wired bras can and it can look funny under tight tops.

I am planning on buying nursing bras and using them as maternity-it's a chance to "break them in" and really test out what's comfortable as with new baby bra shopping will be quite hard.
Good luck

beehappybe Wed 29-Jul-15 21:36:02

good point dragon about further changes, hmm, maybe I just get a couple and see how things go..

LibrariesGaveUsPower Wed 29-Jul-15 21:36:35

You can wear underwire throughout if you prefer.smile

Unlikely the same bras will work. Most people are much smaller in the rib cage when feeding as opposed to late pregnancy.

LibrariesGaveUsPower Wed 29-Jul-15 21:37:33

ps. You can convert your own bras to nursing ones with kits off eBay.smile

HayFeverSucks Wed 29-Jul-15 21:55:34

I'd buy nursing bras now, you'll increase in size in pregnancy anyway and probably loads more once your milk comes in, but I fed for 18 months and did end up using the smaller nursing bras I'd worn during pregnancy towards the end when my little one was only having one feed a day.

Cornberry Wed 29-Jul-15 22:05:02

I also wondered this. Depends how far along you are. Apparently you shouldn't buy nursing bras until the final weeks, and your boobs get even bigger a few days after birth. I decided to wait to buy nursing bras. I bought these in my first trimester www.marksandspencer.com/2-pack-cotton-rich-assorted-padded-balcony-a-dd-bras/p/p22191388

They were great, and when they got too small around my ribcage I bought extenders off amazon for 3 quid. Worked perfectly. Nursing bras are so expensive I want to wait until the last minute to buy them.

toohardtothinkofaname Thu 30-Jul-15 08:13:45

I'm a 34e & sometimes 34f so I'm finding it hard to find maternity bras that don't make the girls look like dogs ears sad

Might get couple maternity bras now (18weeks) and then nearer the end get a few nursing to see me through. So bloody expensive!

Any thoughts on Debenhams maternity bras?

HayFeverSucks Thu 30-Jul-15 08:30:22

H and M cotton nursing bras come in a 2 pack and are the best I've found

Gillian1980 Thu 30-Jul-15 09:58:08

I'm usually a 38GG and have gone up to a 40H now (37 weeks).

I found the most comfy non wired bras were granny-style total support ones from M&S rather than the actual maternity ones. I couldn't find any underwired ones which I found comfy at all.

I've bought some nursing bras off eBay in a cup size bigger and have a couple of sleeping bras that are like crop tops for when I'm at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now