Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

12 week scan with 1yo

(9 Posts)
Newlywed123 Wed 29-Jul-15 14:11:38

I have my 12 weeks scan tomorrow and everyone I know is busy apart from my MIL but I've invited her to come with me. My letter says in big bold writing Only 1 person allowed.. Do you think they would let me have my MIL and 1 year old In the room?

CarrotPuff Wed 29-Jul-15 14:19:26

Some hospitals don't allow children in scan rooms - have you checked this?

addictedtosugar Wed 29-Jul-15 14:19:54

Well, if they don't, MiL will just have to wait outside with your oldest.

Many letters also say not suitable for kids, so you may have an issue there as well.

Hope all goes well tomorrow.

youlemming Wed 29-Jul-15 15:43:25

Maybe ask them if once the inital checks have been done to confirm all is ok if they are allowed in.
I have had to take my DD with me for a growth scan before and they were ok with her coming in.

Newlywed123 Wed 29-Jul-15 16:01:52

I called and they said it will be ok as its only a 12 week. Just wanted to get my MIL involved with my Pregnancy as she worked when I had my scans with my LG.

She'll probably have to leave after seeing baby though because I'll need an internal to check my cervix measurements but atleast she'll see baby smile

FATEdestiny Wed 29-Jul-15 16:02:15

I went into a 12 week scan and discovered that the baby had no heartbeat.

Are you sure you want your child with you if that happens?

I would be inclined to use your MIL to look after your daughter (in waiting room or at home) rather than bringing a child into the scan room.

PS - Have since gone on to have a healthy child. But would always be weary of what can go wrong in scans from now onwards.

Newlywed123 Wed 29-Jul-15 16:53:28

She came with us to my 6 week scan (had to previous early losses) there wasn't a heartbeat then, but there was at 8 week so as far as I know baby is developing well. She doesn't understand, just sat playing with her toys.

Sorry about your previous loss flowers star

annatha Wed 29-Jul-15 16:56:01

I had to take 6 month old dd with me for my 12 week as I wanted dh there in case it was bad news. Rang ahead as letter said no children and I was told that its more so if you do get bad news you won't have to put a brave face on for fear of upsetting the kids, but a 1 year old surely couldn't understand what was happening and if its between that and you going completely alone than I'd that its better to go with the child and mil. My 20 week one was at a different hospital though and dh had to wait outside with then 8 month old dd until they'd finished the checks, he just came in at the end to find out the sex and see the baby on screen but the sonographer wasn't happy with that so I think its at the sonographer's discretion to an extent. Dd was asleep both times but obviously if she was kicking off dh would've taken her out right away.

Newlywed123 Wed 29-Jul-15 16:56:12

I'm aware of what can happen, I'm a high risk Pregnancy and have to have regular scans. She won't come to any others with me, it's just this once because I don't want t go in for my scan alone but all my family are busysmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now