Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How long did it take you to conceive after removing copper coil?

(26 Posts)
luna40 Wed 29-Jul-15 09:58:24

My Copper coil is coming out today! Wondering how long it took for you to conceive after removal? Does it take a while for the copper to clear the system? Cycles to get back to normal?
Thanks!

Frolicacid Wed 29-Jul-15 10:06:27

I had my copper coil out at the beginning of last August. Baby should be here by the end of this one smile, so about 3 / 4 months.
I know it varies for everyone, but thought you'd like a positive story.

And the coil hurt much less on the way out than in!

Frolicacid Wed 29-Jul-15 10:06:58

And good luck flowers

Whatabout Wed 29-Jul-15 10:13:58

Unintentionally whilst it was still in..

Sighing Wed 29-Jul-15 10:16:16

5 months (I'm ancient though)

Skiptonlass Wed 29-Jul-15 10:35:26

You can technically conceive immediately smile

I had a mirena, a friend had the copper coil and we both had them removed within a few weeks of each other. Both over 35, she was pregnant within a few weeks and I was within a few months, so nothing out of what you'd expect for our ages.

As frolic acid says, they're a doddle to get out as well (after some initial rummaging to get a grip on the strings, painless though.)

luna40 Wed 29-Jul-15 13:42:51

Thanks all! Really reassuring to hear smile

60sname Wed 29-Jul-15 13:45:51

About three weeks grin - had it removed on the first day of my period and conceived when I ovulated that cycle.

Straightjacketneeded Wed 29-Jul-15 13:47:44

Had one period then I got pregnant grin

lemon101 Wed 29-Jul-15 14:25:45

6 months! I was a smoker however and that does affect your fertility.

nightandthelight Wed 29-Jul-15 15:37:16

4 cycles smile

Indomitable Wed 29-Jul-15 18:07:21

About 4 weeks: had it removed 1DPO, but was too late for that cycle. Pg on the next one (first official TTC cycle).

Good luck!

Saltedcaramel2014 Wed 29-Jul-15 18:14:25

I had one period and conceived at next ovulation, both times. i feel very lucky but I guess it is one of the benefits of this coil. First time gp suggested I wait until after the bleed to try, second time GP said try straight away, don't worry. So you may want to seek advice on that. Good luck!

Littlefrenchmummy Wed 29-Jul-15 18:48:27

1st cycle, so 2 weeks.

All the best OP ! X

ecuse Wed 29-Jul-15 18:49:46

One cycle!

elpth Wed 29-Jul-15 18:51:50

11 months but I was also breast feeding and didn't get pregnant until I completely stopped breast feeding. Then it was first cycle.

purplishclouds Wed 29-Jul-15 18:56:15

5 months here too . Although dh was away for work during that period so we must have missed some cycles .

Pugmumlondon Wed 29-Jul-15 22:21:36

3 months - 1 cycle! Mirena removed in February (after nearly ten years - x2 coils) and bfp in May. Due jan 16. I have pcos and have suffered with horrendous periods, was always told I would probably need help to conceive. I'm 31.

Although everyone is different the miracle stories of conceiving super quickly after removal are reality! Good luck!

SaulGood Wed 29-Jul-15 22:24:36

Immediately. Had it removed, ovulated a week later and conceived. Only had sex on the day of ovulation too smile

Theoretically, once the coil is removed you should go back to normal.

NotSoYummyMummy23 Wed 29-Jul-15 22:56:27

Sorry, I don't want to hijack this thread but, has anyone had to have a telephone appointment with a doctor before getting the official removal appointment? I rang my doctors last week to make an appointment to get the more a removed and they said I needed to speak with the doctor first, and the earliest they had for that is the 18th Aug!! Hoping I can get it out within a week of speaking with the doc! Any help?

NotSoYummyMummy23 Wed 29-Jul-15 22:57:16

*Mirena coil removed

luna40 Thu 30-Jul-15 07:21:11

NotSo yes I was also told I needed to speak with a GP first before booking a removal appt with the nurse. I lied and said I had. Well white lie, because when I got it in 10 months ago I spoke with a GP first, and said we would be trying for another eventually blah blah blah.
I just didn't want to wait the 4 weeks for a GP appt, then another 4 weeks to make the appt with the coil nurse (waiting periods here are horrendous)

Thanks all for reassuring responses! Hopefully it happens just as quick for us ;)

NotSoYummyMummy23 Thu 30-Jul-15 08:33:01

Oh no, i better not have a 4 week wait until I can get the thing out!! I wasn't warned of this phone appointment at all. Even when I queried with the receptionist about the removal, she didn't say anything! Very annoyed!!!
I hope you're not ttc for too long!! smile

nightandthelight Thu 30-Jul-15 08:45:50

I couldn't get a quick appt with my GP so just popped into the sexual health clinic and had it removed straight away smile

NotSoYummyMummy23 Thu 30-Jul-15 09:19:51

Perfect, thanks night! I will definitely be doing that!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now