Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Second hand pumps? Would you?

(14 Posts)
NotSoFitFlop Tue 28-Jul-15 20:46:11

im still debating whether to get a pump before or after birth.

I've just seen one on my local selling page at a really good price, I always thought second hand pumps were a bit icky but couldn't explain why.

So would you buy a second hand pump?

Minisoksmakehardwork Tue 28-Jul-15 20:53:29

You can buy replacement tubes and valves for medela ones, so I assume other brands too. Check out the price of those and factor it into your budget. But considering the cost of them new, I did sell mine on and the buyer was very grateful. They got a bargain.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 28-Jul-15 20:56:16

I bought a second hand one, as a PP said you can replace the tubes and cones if you like. The ones in hospital must've been used by a lot of women if you think about it, but they give you your own cone (not sure what it's actually called)

CityDweller Tue 28-Jul-15 20:57:44

Only if it was a closed system (google it!) as with open system pumps milk particles get into the pump mechanism. So not a Medela swing, for eg, but yes to an Ardo Calypso. There's a great article online showing the insides of a used Medela Swing. Really quite gross.

CityDweller Tue 28-Jul-15 20:58:47

Re pp re Hospital grade pumps these are closed systems. Hence can be used by multiple women.

CityDweller Tue 28-Jul-15 21:02:15

Here's the link mythnomore.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/why-you-shouldnt-buy-sell-or-borrow.html?m=1

TheEagle Tue 28-Jul-15 21:04:25

What citydweller said grin

I remember reading on here about the Medela Swing and then Googling it shock

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 28-Jul-15 21:07:13

So, if you had an open system one would you need to buy new for each baby? I guess so?

NotSoFitFlop Tue 28-Jul-15 21:09:30

Oh, it's a Medela swing one!

BeautifulBatman Tue 28-Jul-15 21:10:34

I wouldn't. Icky.

TheEagle Tue 28-Jul-15 21:11:33

Theoretically I suppose you would - I guess it all depends on how much you use it as well. And maybe how long between babies?

Not sure on that point, it's a while since I researched it

LibrariesGaveUsPower Tue 28-Jul-15 21:13:09

I was about to say the same about open systems. Gross!

Diggum Tue 28-Jul-15 21:14:09

Agree with citydweller. I read about closed v open on here too and wouldn't buy an open one second-hand. Have rented a hospital grade one though so I'd definitely get one of those if they were going second-hand (at, say, a €2000 discount).

CityDweller Tue 28-Jul-15 21:14:29

In theory yes Abbey, but I think loads of people do use them for second/ third/ etc babies and there's also a brisk trade in used ones on EBay. So I guess it's up to you (or whoever) to decide what you're comfotable with. Personally, I wouldn't and that's why I ditched the Medela and bought the Ardo - that way I knew I could use it for multiple babies and then sell on after with a clean conscience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now