Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

TMI.. But how to get rid of constipation?

(18 Posts)
IrisBlue15 Tue 28-Jul-15 19:54:36

I'm nearly 12 weeks and all of a sudden really suffering. I feel dreadful!
If you had constipation, how did you get rid of it?

ApplesTheHare Tue 28-Jul-15 19:56:15

Dried or fresh figs are great, as are prunes. Old people know where it's at with this one... good luck and feel better soon! flowers

loolah83 Tue 28-Jul-15 20:12:15

This happened me...I stopped taking pregnacare and the constipation vanished

DayLillie Tue 28-Jul-15 20:16:44

Constipation in pregnancy is caused by relaxation of smooth muscle due to the effects of high levels of progesterone. There is just not enough peristalsis.

If it is bad, try something like movicol, until you get things moving, then use diet. If it is really dry and hard and bunged try glycerine suppositories. Fibogel does not work well - as things move through the colon, the fluid is absorbed and the faeces dry out. If it is slow moving, it dries out too much, causing it to slow down and creates a vicious cycle. Fibogel dries up, as does bran, and causes more of a blockage.

Eat a good breakfast of things that help - fruit, prunes, porridge, muesli, whatever. This should encourage peristalsis, and going to the loo. Kiwi fruit are particularly good and contain some enzyme or other that helps. If you eat one every day, you will not have a problem (other than they taste horrible after the first six months sad.) They seem to give a good daily visit to the loo, and without the tummy aches and wind you can get with other things.

Then go to the toilet at the same time every day and try and set up a habit. You need peace and quiet and a foot stool. The suppositories can help here. Do not ignore an urge. A hot drink beforehand is supposed to help.

Eat plenty vegetables, pulses, and oats (soluble fibre) and drink plenty - don' t get thirsty.

You should get movicol on prescription if you have a bad time. Do not be tempted to take anything with ducosate in it as this can give really, really bad cramps in some people. I am not sure it is recommended in pregnancy and it really ought to have a warning on it.

IrisBlue15 Tue 28-Jul-15 20:26:26

Will find myself some figs, already 'enjoying' prunes.
Thank you!

QuidditchTonedThighs Tue 28-Jul-15 20:42:47

I just eat vast amounts of raw veg every day. It's the only way for me to avoid having it constantly. If I miss a day I suffer! I cut a load up every morning, put them on a plate in the fridge, and just make sure I eat the lot by evening. Having something unhealthy to dip it in helps.

Stylingwax Tue 28-Jul-15 20:44:33

Suppositories to get it moving. Then bran flakes.

sizethree Tue 28-Jul-15 21:05:07

I upped my water intake which helped to soften things! I also have prince juice in the morning and before bedtime (awful taste to start off with but worth persevering with) I sprinkle some All Bran ontop of Fruit and Fibre for breakfast and I snack on dried apricots mid morning.
Since making these changes things have improved significantly.

IrisBlue15 Tue 28-Jul-15 21:15:37

Thank you all, some great ideas. Will start with a kiwi fruit and tomorrow will be a vegetable / muesli / dried fruit heavy day.

purplemurple1 Tue 28-Jul-15 21:17:05

Couple of spoons of crushed flax seed on my morning cereal worked for me. Once id got things moving with glycerin suppositories of course.

doomclaw Tue 28-Jul-15 21:22:49

I have been eating half a dozen dried apricots before bed - I quite like them but suspect I will never eat them again once the baby is here. Also found that sitting on the loo with kness raised above hips (either footstool or in my case our bathroom is so small I can reach the towel rail with my toes).

Ruralninja Tue 28-Jul-15 21:25:22

I get this....two things really help. Psyllium husk capsules (get in health food shop) which is fibre and drink prune juice or drain the liquid from bottled ones - a small wine glass is enough - go easy or you might overdo it!

putters32 Tue 28-Jul-15 22:20:33

A combination of Lactulose, dulcalax and fibregel sachets finally got things moving for me!!

ribbitTheFrog Tue 28-Jul-15 22:23:47

Spicy bean burgers

Angelik Tue 28-Jul-15 22:28:11

a cheap, simple, straightforward, anytime solution for me was drinking lots and lots of warm water. cleared one horrible episode within a couple of hours.

Frolicacid Tue 28-Jul-15 22:28:27

Another vote for prunes! apricots and figs are also good.
You have my full sympathies op. I'm 36 weeks now and have suffered throughout. Eating the above with some live yogurt every day has got me in to the best 'routine' in months. Abc plenty of water.
I hope you feel better soon flowers

sianihedgehog Thu 30-Jul-15 09:27:57

I stopped taking pregnancy vitamins, it got slightly better, then I became anaemic and was put on iron supplements which are a million times worse. Fybogel works fairly well, but I do have to keep hydrated. Prune juice worked really well to get things moving and eating loads of fruit and veg helps keep it going.

I can vouch for dried figs. I accidentally found this out the other week. blush Thankfully I was at home. Make sure you drink plenty, & I'd recommend you spave them out over a few hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now